link to page about ted washburn

Hi:

I’m wondering why my site www.openingbbnminds.com got about 100 hits from a link on straightdope.com on December 30. Specifically, it was the page http://www.openingbbnminds.com/ted_washburn.

(If it helps, the page describes a teacher at a Cambridge prep school who pled guilty to charges of raping a young boy back in the 1980s)

I’ve searched straight dope and can’t figure out where the reference was.

Thanks,

Daniel Weinreb
Opening BBN Minds

Hi Daniel,

I’m not sure about the answer to your question, but I think it’s better suited for a different part of this site, since it doesn’t appear to be related to one of Cecil’s columns.

Ah, I can tell you because I am one the 100 or so. There was a thread about crazy teachers, and someone linked to that page and mentioned that s/he had had Washburn as a teacher.

Here is the thread Kyla is talking about. The link to the Washburn site is in post 18.

If you see another hit from this website today, that was me.

I had to click as well, so that accounts for one. Why are you so fascinated by a link to it on a message board?

The page probably gets very few hits, and 100 or more in one day might ring a bell or something…

I’m really, really sorry if I did something wrong by linking to it…I can’t tell. Either way, it’s an impressive website and the most comprehensive source of information on the case that I could find.

I dont think the site is going to get much play. Unless a then child (now in their 40’s and 50’s) of the upper crust of Mass. is going to go public with the details of they were sodmized by their teacher not much is going to happen.

I don’t think you did anything wrong. As EJsGirl suggested, the hundred or so hits caused by your linking to the site was a lot to come from one site, so the website owner was curious why we were interested in his page (and Kyla pretty much answered that).

I think you’re missing the point of the website, not that it matters (in the sense that it shouldn’t necessarily matter to someone who was unaffected by the incidents and the school’s hamfisted mishandling of them). And, FWIW, not everyone who went there is “upper crust”. I most certainly was/am not, but then again, I was a scholarship kid.