Linux Dopers?

Any Linux Dopers out there besides me? I dual boot both my desktop and laptop with Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. How about you?

My son runs Linux on this computer when I’m not using Windows 2000. I prefer to read the Dope on Windows because I can scroll with the mouse, which I cannot do when Linux is running. But sometimes I just don’t feel like rebooting, so I’ll keep clicking on the scroll down arrow. If he had his way we’d only run Linux, because we never get viruses over there. Just had to reinstall Windows again last night. This is the only reason my son remains living here with me…we only have one computer, and I need him to keep it running.

Lol, well do you know what linux distro it is? Getting the mouse wheel working should be fairly simple depending on what it is you’re running.

I have a Slackware webserver and an XP machine here.

I’m a big user of Linux. However, I suspect what you’re really looking for is people who use it as a desktop and I’m not in that camp. It’s just not cooked enough yet. Nothing touches it as a server though.

I use Yellow Dog Linux off & on, but it keeps screwing up whenever I try to make Mac On Linux run. That’s why it’s more “off” than “on”. And I’m still trying to find a CD-bootable distro that’ll work on a stack of old laptops I picked up last year.

My machine runs nothing but Gentoo. Haven’t used Windows on a personal machine in about five years, now.

kittenblue? Call your son over here and have him read this.

Hey, there. So, you can’t get your mousewheel to work.

What you’re going to need to do is open up /etc/X11/xf86.config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf, depending on whether your distro uses XFree86 or x.org. Either way, find the entry in the config file for your mouse. On my machine, the entry looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ImPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"

If you’re using a USB mouse, it should look a bit different, but that should be enough so you find the right section.

Anyway, add the following line after the last existing line in that section:

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Save the file and restart the X server (log out, or use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). Your scrollwheel should be working just fine now. Now give your mother a hug and tell her you love her.

Debian “unstable” on a 2.6.8.1 kernel, with KDE.

I surf using Konqueror, or Mozilla when I need a bit more compatibility.

Hey, Ninja Pizza Guy! What kind of laptops did you get, and would you be willing to part with one cheaply?

I was running Fedora Core 1 on my old machine, but I bought a new computer. It came with XP. I partitioned my drive, but when I went to reload XP with the recovery disks, it wiped out my partitions. I had no say in the matter. Does anyone know how to get around this?

My wife & kids (computer illiterates that they are, but they’re so cute) run SuSE 9.1. I got tired of cleaning up the spyware & viruses & whatnot :smiley:

Currently, I’m running winXP and/or 2k, depending on where I am (work or home)

YDL4 dual booting with MacOS X on the G4 at home, and Fedora Core 3 on the box at work.

I dual-boot my desktop with Windows XP and Ubuntu, my laptop runs only Ubuntu, and I run Slackware 10 on my server.

There are a number of things keeping me from switching completely to Linux, but among them are lack of hardware and games support, as well as some Windows-only apps I need for work that crashes under Wine.

Slackware Linux on my laptop. No dual boot and used for all work and home tasks.

Ubuntu Linux on my wife’s home computer because it’s a fairly easy to use distribution.

We still have one Windows XP computer because our son’s computer games don’t run well under Wine.

I’m constantly trying with Linux. I’ve got an old computer specifically for the purpose of playing around with Debian ‘n’ stuff. Including Wine - which really can only be described as embryonic. I still have to use Windows for real work.

My home machine is dual boot WinXP and Mandrake. I usually boot Windows, to play games.

At work, I write software on Red Hat Fedora Core 2 and Red Hat 9 (and Solaris).

On my old computer, I was running a dual boot. Win 2000 and Fedora Core 1. I’ve run Mandrake and Red Hat 9 before updating to Fedora. We are in the process of looking for a larger place. I think what I am going to do is leave my current computer running Win Xp and set up the older computer as Linux only.

Gentoo with Opera as browser and CrossoverOffice+Dreamweaver MX and OpenOffice.org for web development, etc. Cedega for games. The only thing Microsoft about this computer is the keyboard.

I will be dual-booting WinXP SP1 and whichever flavour of Linux I get working with my RAID array (which uses the Promise controller chip on my Asus A7V666 motherboard). So far, Knoppix 3.7 has done the best job of auto-detecting all the odd things I have connected to my computer (the Wacom tablet I use instead of a mouse, for example).

However, my trawlings through the net seem to indicate that RAID on Linux cannot work with a previously-configured disk array that was set up under WIndows XP, even though the array is hardware-driven rather than software-driven. The array has to be set up under Linux. There are drivers available from Asus for the RAID chip under Linux, but they seem to be limited to specific kernel versions and distros.

My Windows is starting to behave flakily, and I have a persistent Trojan I just can’t get rid of after two months of trying, so I’m just waiting for my tax refund and/or bonus from work. If these arrive and prove to be sufficient, I’m going to go out and get one of those portable external drives of about 300 GB, back up all my Crap[sup]TM[/sup], wipe the whole system, and rebuild ftom scratch.

If some kind Doper can clarify RAID under Linux, I’d really appreciate it.

This house has 1 slackware, 1 debian and 1 freebsd. I think. There might be another BSD box - that I’m not sure about - that’s probably a bad sign. There is also a XP box used almost strictly for gaming - I have used wine and other emulators in the past, but when you have this many computers, you might as well just go with a least one windows box for those needs. There is also one cisco router, 3600 series, a number of switches and hubs and a ups, with other miscellenous toys. My linux machine, the slackware, has been running the same basic configuration for the last 3 or 4 years - I only make changes when I upgrade software. Honestly, I’m starting to forget how to MAKE some of those changes. :slight_smile: Rah for stability.

At this time, I’m using the skinny Sony Vaio running FreeBSD.