Listen, KFC, you're not fooling anyone. "Kitchen Fresh Chicken?"

See, that’s why I prefer Wendy’s patties and will continue to do so until I see my first square pig anus.

I don’t really understand the new BBQ wings ad, with the dethroned wingmaster. Why is he no longer the wingmaster? Why is that new guy the wingmaster? Was the first guy supposed to watch the wings and then all of a sudden the second guy swooped in and ate them? Or did the second guy just eat more wings?

Also, “get the taste on your face” is a little more than mildly suggestive.

You don’t know what a heart stopping meal looks like until you actually work at and/or have “backroom” access to a KFC.

My friend’s sister used to manage a KFC (it has since been closed) so we had free reign to “design” our own “food”.

We would create double decker big crunches covered in yummy gravy with a few fries tucked inside, or poutin layered twice with gravy and cheese…

I normally had hot wings and the poutin. Heart stopping goodness!

BTW KFC chicken isn’t fried (in the store at least) but placed in a oven-like thing (that pressure cooker mentioned in the link I’m sure) and AFAIK doesn’t really touch any oil except however it’s prepared before it gets into the resturant.

And incase anyone gets pissed, we had friends make our food “our way”. We didn’t just walk around the food prep areas with our street clothing.

I could look it up if I was at work today. Slipped on some ice last night and sprained my ankle.

Fried or not, “Kitchen Fresh” or not, as long as they keep putting that addictive chemical in it that makes me crave it fortnightly, I’ll keep buying. :slight_smile:

Jammer

Yeah, it’s fucking gross. I hate that wingmaster commercial. I mean, yeah, wings are messy, but come on.

Aye, damn that Colonel with his wee, beady eyes…

Ah yes, the 11 secret herbs and spices:

The link above also describes exactly how it’s cooked.

KFC = Killer Fucking Chicken
And the requisite band name:

Desmostylus, I’m just going to have to be mildly dubious about that link. It also states:

Why would any lab refuse? Was the “one” a reliable lab? Was the strong smell flour? Mind you, I’m not trying to say that KFC is healthy or anything, but I just don’t get what that page is all about. And BTW, my experience of fried chicken “batter” is just how KFC does it: dip it in liquid, roll it in the dry. Some cooks roll it in plain flour lightly before the dipping.

Presumably because the “11 secret herbs and spices” is a closely kept trade secret, and because the sample had been obtained without the permission of KFC.

The site isn’t pro- or anti-KFC, it just describes what’s in it and how it’s cooked.

This_Years_Model, while I wouldn’t take that link as gospel without some corroboration, (particularly as I too have a hard time getting my head around the concept of a “strong smelling” combination of flour, pepper, salt, and MSG,) you’re picking on things you ought not to.

If there’s no flour in the dipping mix, it’s not a batter. Dipping in egg/milk and rolling in flour is sort of a poor man’s breading. There really is no batter involved there, if it’s as described.

Also, it’s quite probable that many labs would choose not to turn down the job. Huge corporations are notoriously litigious, and the benefit from such a small piece of work is negligable when compared to the (even remote) possibility of a lawsuit, whether it be for helping someone to reverse-engineer a protected product, or defamation if the sample turns out to be modified, or whatever.

As for the findings that the lab gave them, the authors of the page are working from a false premise:

Nope, sorry. These folks watch too much Star Trek. Of the substances that the lab tested for, they positively identified four. That’s all. Likely they identified capiscum, and said “pepper.” There might also be paprika, cayenne, chili, etc. Sodium is easy to verify, likewise monosodium glutamate. You can bet your ass that whoever put that ghetto site together didn’t pay them enough to test for every herb and spice known to culinary man, so they got what they payed for.

Oh, and “Kitchen Fresh Chicken?” It is to laugh.

Strike that “not.” And I see Desmo got in there while the board was shunning/mocking me. Yaaar.

Chastain, I wept while reading this marvelous vituperative rant against Kentucky Fried Chicken.

bleh! While it smells good, I can’t stand the taste of KFC. No reason to buy that garbage of you can get Popeye’s.

Stupid question but what does “ktichen fresh” mean to you? To me it sounds like “chicken fresh from the the kitchen” ie “it wasn’t a very long time between it emerging from the pressure fryer and getting to you” which doesn’t seem to be saying very much at all :confused:

A while ago there was a documentary on a business news programme that talked about KFC trying to change its image. Mind you, this was in Japan, but it was interesting because they had really good access to high management types.

Anyway, lately business has not been good for KFC, it seems (at least in Japan). Competition is fierce and they’re having a really hard time getting rid of their greasy, unhealthy image that’s hurting them. Here, they tried opening stores with faux-fancy interiors and changing their menus to have more health-conscious items, like wraps and such. I almost genuinely felt sorry for those vice-presidents, I really did. It might be denying your roots, but grease just don’t sell like it used to.

I don’t really have a problem with the name change, although it’s very lame IMO, as long as it’s somewhat mirrored in their menu. If the food is still stale and greasy, it’s probably hurt them more than anything.

I interpreted it to mean pepper, not chili. That is, the ground dried berries from Piper nigrum.

Maybe I should start an “Ask the Former Chicken Queen” thread here…

I worked at KFC for two years in the early 1980s, back before Pepsi bought them out. In the course of doing so, I was involved in every aspect of food production and sales. In fact, I started there when they had those little buns (like Hawaiian bread) instead of the biscuits they now sell - I remember when the biscuit-making gear came in and some of us were trained on making the things. Only problem for me was, the vinyl apron that was supposed to protect our brown uniforms from the flour wasn’t quite wide enough for my boobage, so I inevitably wound up with one white tit. Which our customers seemed to find intriguing.

But I digress…

It’s entirely possible that things have changed drastically in the production and manufacture of KFC’s headline product, but back in my day the chicken arrived at the store in a fresh state, i.e., not frozen hard. It was generally very, very cold, but it was not frozen and was stored in the walk-in cooler with the produce, not the 0-degree freezer with the fries. Once in a while a case of bird would go bad and there is no mistaking the smell of something that is no longer fresh. One of the tasks that the cooks shared was the “breaking” of the chicken, which meant separating the chicken into appropriate bags of pieces (9 pieces to a bag, with two wings, thighs, drumsticks, breasts, and one “keel” or center breast) and breaking the thigh in the process. Oh, I have broken many a chicken thigh in my day. Nowadays they use an 8-piece cut, which is probably only fair because the old breasts didn’t have much meat on them.

Original Recipe chicken was prepared pretty much as described above, with a brief dipping in the milky “batter” followed by a dredging through the flour/11 herbs and spices mix. They’re then “dropped” into the pressure cookers, which had varying holding capacities (one “tray”, or four birds, versus five “trays”). Of course the little bags of 11 herbs and spices didn’t have ingredient labels, and I strongly suspected pepper and salt as main ingredients, but the packets were sufficiently multi-colored that it’s entirely possible for eleven different items to have found their way into it. I remember a distinct greenish tint to the dry mix.

Extra Crispy chicken is prepared in an entirely different way, from the sauteeing through the breading and frying in open fryers.

Neither product is supposed to be held for more than 1.5 hours. I always thought it would be a lot easier to accomplish that if we weren’t expected to account for sales of 96% of what was fried - given the hour lead-time required for preparation, it wasn’t easy to “call” how much bird to “drop” in advance of the lunch or dinner rush. After some months on the job I became pretty adept at calling chicken. Some days nobody in the neighborhood wanted any bird, but other days, it was just a feeling in the wind, a tingling in the spine…ah, yes, time to drop some chicken.

Of course, the site does contain large passages (including part of the KFC one) lifted directly from the book Big Secrets by William Poundstone with no credit or attribution. It’s also got a come-on for a multi-level marketing scheme. Not an unimpeachable source.