Lists: reasons for the recent spike in their popularity

The use of lists seems to have increased recently. There are “Best of …” lists and “Top #” lists. Anything and everything is ranked. I don’t know if it’s always been like this, and I’m just noticing it more now, or if the use of lists really has increased. ESPN has lists all the time which is what really caught my eye.

Anyway, I think it’s important to try to recognize the cause of this trend:

1. People like to know what is the best. If other people don’t agree with them, then they like to argue about.

2. People like gimmicks.

3. People have short attention spans. Lists are an easy way to get information across.
    Feel free to add more.

1. You’re watching too much VH-1.
  1. Hey, we have a nice list going here :smiley:
  1. Writing out lists has had some popularity for a long time. The “Book(s) of Lists” came out in the late 1970’s-early 1980’s, after all.
  1. It’s all those magazines with teasers on the cover: “10 hot tips for getting a guy!” – “23 ways to serve hash for supper!” – “16 steps to a better golf swing!” – “101 holiday recipes you can fix in five minutes”!
  1. Two words: “David Letterman”
  1. Word processors have instant list-making facilities.

2. People wanted to say Hi Opal! even while they only had two items.

1. People have short attention spans.

To do today:

Write to do list

I’m such a dork.

I read the OP Title and opened the thread thinking the subject was mailing lists.

OK, that’s not the only reason I’m a dork. I could make a list of reasons, but lists are the ladybug’s job.

(What happens when you accidently click the “buddy” button on your own post.)

There’s also no shortage of stupid criminals:

Fake illness
Get taken to hospital
Escape

(Thanks, QtM!)

As we approach the end of the year, we’ll see an increase in “Top X of the Year” type lists.