Little Hooliganz

So, I hear on the radio the latest hysteria about violent videogames – a game called Little Hooliganz, a football hooligan game marketed to children as young as 7.

And I thought to myself: here we go again. As a video game developer myself, I despair at the negative press that games get: I think most video games are harmless, and the few that conceivably aren’t usually carry an 18 certificate (that parents ignore).

However, this time I was appalled by the concept behind the game (and they also make hooligan toys).
I think it’s a terrible message, but what can you really do about internet-based games? Get them to put an “I am 18” button on the website that kids will click anyway, and pretty please don’t present your game in a child-friendly way? Or censorship?

Oops, I think I’ve put this on the wrong board.

Could someone move this to The Game Room please :slight_smile:

OK.

I think this is a horrible game, obviously. And I think, with all due respect to your profession, that it was also fairly inevitable. It’s not entirely your fault, I think the fault can go back and back and back to Saturday morning cartoons, music and movies. Heck, back into antiquity. Violence in media is a slippery slope. Tom and Jerry’s antics were minimal violence by today’s standards, but the kids growing up on that stuff then had a higher bar when they were old enough to create their own works. Every generation has to be more extreme, more explicit, more violent, in order to push the envelope, remain exciting and topical, and get sales. Eventually you end up with stuff like this, and sooner or later, there WILL be a backlash, things will get too extreme, and we’ll rubber band back to Sunday School Puritanical values, only to slowly climb that ladder to slide down once again. It’s cyclical.

This isn’t a “damn kids, get off of my lawn” rant, and the first person to quote that ancient Roman bit about “kids these days” loses. It’s not that I’m bemoaning the state of the world today as if three decades ago was better - but it *was *different. And we’ll get there again, probably after my lifetime. And, I’m sorry to say, Little Hooliganz and Miss Bimbo probably aren’t the ultimate depths we’ll plunge, either.

“Kids these days” in Roman times didn’t need video games; they could go to their local coliseum and watch violence live and in real time.

Which is why I don’t much care about violence in the media.

Exactly. And it goes back and forth and round and round. It’s not going to make the human species implode, but it does sometimes make us unpleasant to live with. (I wouldn’t have wanted to be a Roman matron, for example.)

I’m still not sure.
It’s not so much the violence itself – I’ll bet this game is not as violent as the average Tom & Jerry cartoon. The problem is that it’s violence directed against society and innocent bystanders, sold to an age group that might not fully appreciate the rights and wrongs.

It’s almost deliberately anarchistic.
What next (slippery slope fallacy approaching…)? A rapist game?

Wow. It really isn’t an Onion story.

I thought there were rapes in Grand Theft Auto, no?

There’s also RapeLay, a PC based game where you not only rape schoolgirls, but you fondle them to increase their Horniness, rape them multiple times to teach them to enjoy being raped until they become your sex slave, anally rape, forcibly orally rape, and impregnate them. But it’s okay, because then you can Abort their fetuses.

I wish I was making that up.

You could pick up a hooker, bang her in your car, and then kill her to get your money back, but there were no rapes in GTAs 1-3, Vice City, Liberty City Stories, or San Andreas. There might be rape in GTA4.

That RapeLay game sounded horrific until I realized it was Japanese. Japan has nude centerfolds and comics featuring the most graphic sex imaginable (including rape) in respectable daily newspapers, and yet sexual assault (or any kind of physical violence) is virtually unheard of.