Little things that stir up your patriotism

This occurs to me because we are about 1.5 hours away from the EAA Convention in Oshkosh. The other day i walk out of my house and I hear a plane flying relatively low. (Concorde still on the brain)

I look up and what should I see…

A P-51 Mustang with invasion stripes.
(Starts grunting like Tim the Toolman)

Just a huge feeling of pride for the sacrifices of WWII comes over me at that point.

So Dopers, any little unexpected things that do that for you guys?

Some one in my area has a Jeep painted North Africa style. Two of my uncles fought there. Makes me think about all the young men who went off to war never to return.MTS

I grin every time I drive by a location where a retired military plane is being displayed on pedestals.

That Lee Greenwood song Proud to be an American does it for me. Also, seeing the American flag flapping in the breeze or displayed from a flagpole in front of people’s houses. It’s a nice thing to look at.

Why does everyone’s patriotism always center around wars and the tools used therein.

Oh, I don’t know… Maybe it’s that ultimate sacrifice thing.

Never have so few…

Freaky asked, “Why does everyone’s patriotism always center around wars and the tools used therein.”

Mostly because that’s when people rally around defending their country. How can you NOT? There are men and women who will fight for YOUR freedom, Freak. You are alive because these people are defending your rights. I realize the military isn’t always popular. It usually isn’t, unless there’s a war (then all of a sudden they’re a necessity). But are YOU willing to wear a uniform, charge forward and DIE for your country? Die to save your fellow soldier? People like my ex-husband (who is former Navy enlisted, and former Army officer) lived that everyday.

Whitney Houston’s Superbowl version of the National Anthem. At the time it brought me to tears every time.

Watching a US team or individual win the gold medal at any Olympics, and watching the Stars & Stripes go up as they play the National Anthem.

Voting in a national election.

Taking an oath before working at the election booths.

Tying yellow ribbons when the soldiers have gone off to fight a war.

Standing at the edge of the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor and looking out at Pearl City.

Looking up at the statue of Abe Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.

However all of this pales in comparison to the patriotic pride I felt when I raised my right hand and took an oath to become a citizen of the United States of America.

Sniff sniff. Oh gawd, look what you’ve done! Now I’m feeling all verklempt!

Talk amongst yourselves.

Hey Baglady, you didn’t give us a topic!!!

Mine doesn’t. So not everyone’s patriotism revolves around war and stuff.

I’m not too proud of America these days. Poverty, Crime, Out of Control legal system, stupidity from Bill Clinton on down to our local Mayor, racism still playing a part in politics long after it should have been settled… Why should I care?

I look at the revolutionary war see people who fought for the right to do things their own way. The right for the people to govern themselves. And I see a people who’ve given up that right in exchange for being entertained and kept comfy. Bread and Circus all around.

So old July 4th is more of a memorial day. All those who
died for an ideal. Like Abe Lincoln, who hated the war he couldn’t stop and died because someone didn’t like the fact his side lost.

Argh… and this is my 500th post, too. Lord Cynical over and out.

{rant}
Point made.

Point simplified- The lean and the mean will overtake the fat and the happy.

That notwithstanding I still feel pride in my country and its history.

However, I worry that the spirit of non-competition being instilled in our youth is a sign of the decline of our society. If you don’t care if you win, be it in business, scientific discovery, sports or war, the cards are stacked against you actually winning.
{/rant}

“Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” – George C. Scott, Patton

Son of a vet here, and although I’m not particularly “patriotic” in the classic sense of the word, I do get emotional over the enormous number of lives sacrificed in the various wars we’ve been in, especially in this century. One bullet zigs this way instead of that in either WWII (grandfather) or Vietnam (dad), and I’m never born. I guess it isn’t so much pride or patriotism I feel as regret over so many lives destroyed in an instant.

P.S.: What’s wrong with being entertained and comfy? It beats being bored and uncomfortable.

I love that quote!!

Good point! Just so you aren’t too comfortable and rest on your laurels. Or your hardys…

I was trying to point out that you don’t need to be fat and happy all the time as a nation. You need to be aware of problems, like apathy in youth, in adults, in a lot of people. You need to be able to mobilize and do something: rather than have to throw a pep rally to get people interested in the concept of starvation before telling them that there are kids in this country starving each and every night.

Still, this is a Nation of possibilites. People escape, cheat, lie and sneak in for a shot at a better life. Says something about this place, hopefully it is something good.

1. The first flags that come down the street at the head of a parade.

2. Coldfire’s thread.

–Getting the American Legion Auxiliary newsletter (even though I’m a member in name only)

–seeing U.S. ships in port (especially foreign ones)

–watching 4th of July parades

…and Sousa’s “Stars and Stripes Forever.” D’oh.

When I hear people express very unpopular opinions, I for one, am filled with pride for living in a country where such things are allowed. That’s not a symbol for freedom, that IS freedom.

You know, I would consider the 4th of July, but the last one I went to (the past one I was on a bus all night) was DC itself. It’s practically a riot/war-zone afterwards–people go streaming through the streets screaming and blocking traffic, sirens are wailing, yellow haze from the fireworks covers everything, and large spotlights are moving around. It’s actually pretty creepy. Personally, the Sierra Nevadas do it for me–when you’re 12000 feet up in pristine snow-covered wilderness, and you realize that we have managed to save at least * some * of our country from exploitation…

What gets me is hearing either “From the halls of Montezuma” or “The Ballad of the Green Berets”. Always make me puff out my chest and wonder where my old uniform is…

I used to feel patriotic, but reading or hearing comments that imply the people of the minority group I am a part of shouldn’t be considered citizens tends to kill that feeling somewhat. Lucky for me, it also sparks the fires that fuel my love of the First Amendment, and it is the reason I chose to become a journalist.