"Live-in Casual Housekeeper/Minder"

For the past few months I’ve been ferrying hubby to physical therapy sessions twice a week (nothing dire or life threatening, just aftermath from a minor-ish car accident) and as you do, you gradually get to know the other people who are doing the same service for others. I mean, you’re sitting around in a waiting room for an hour or so, why not chat instead of staring at your phone all the time? The others are mostly parents driving kids or kids driving their aging parents, with some other couples.

Anyway, one woman I’ve talked with a fair bit is different. She describes herself as in my title, ‘Live-in Casual Housekeeper/Minder’ for a woman in her 70s with some degree of dementia. The woman (“Alice” is not resistant or violent or deliberately self-harming or anything, but she can’t be relied on to do what needs to be done to live independently. Like, she won’t remember she’s supposed to take her pills with her meals, or even remember sometimes that she needs to eat at all. Shopping would be a challenge physically, but especially she isn’t capable of the ‘think of what food items she needs to be able to prepare X number of meals before the next supply run’ type of planning. She’d been slowly losing weight because she’d skip meals if she ran into some snag. Like, I think I’ll make scrambled eggs. Oh, there aren’t any eggs. Well, I’ll eat something else. But then she’d dither a bit, and be distracted by watching a tv show, and then it would no longer be the right time to eat that meal and she’d assume she must have already eaten it and not eat anything until she noticed it was time for lunch or dinner or whatever. Apparently hunger isn’t as clear a prompt later in life. Similar problems with keeping up a house, or having clean clothes ready for wear, anything like that.

The minder (let’s call her Betty) fills in for that sort of ‘executive function.’ She does the ordinary light housework (dusting/vacuuming/washing dishes), shops, prepares simple but healthy meals and nudges Alice into eating them. And a lot of other ‘reminder’ type tasks. As in, she hands her morning and evening pills, she suggests "it’s getting kind of late, maybe you’d like to change into your night gown and brush your teeth now? Then you can read in bed and just fall asleep without having to get up later. She makes sure her prescriptions get refilled and picked up in time, washes clothes, gets her to the hair salon and other appointments, and is simply a ‘competent person’ at hand. Someone who knows to call the plumber or whatever if a repair is needed, someone who will notice if the furnace stops working BEFORE Alice ends up with hypothermia, someone to call for medical help when it’s needed, someone who will remember to fill the canary’s water bottle.

Betty has been taking care of Alice for about three years so far. She says it’s an ideal job for her, because it’s pretty much what she’s always been doing. She was widowed in her early 50s after being a stay at home wife for more than 30 years. She had never held a job since part time as a high schooler, and had no qualifications or special talents. Her husband had supported the household, and they’d lived a nice enough life. Though he’d never made a ton of money, they’d always had ‘enough,’ the bills got paid, they were able to take occasional vacations and all. (No children.) But then he died, and there was not enough savings for her to live off that and Social Security for what might be thirty or forty more years.

Luckily a friend brought her together with one of Alice’s daughters, who was being driven frantic trying to care for Alice long distance on top of her full-time job and her own family, and they struck a deal. Alice gets a regular ‘stipend’ (I don’t know how much), plus room and board, including pretty much everything. Her own bedroom and bathroom, use of all the other rooms in the house, all utilities paid, all the food she wants to eat, telephone and internet and cable tv, use of a car with service and gasoline and such covered. She says pretty much the only things she buys for herself are clothing and her own health insurance.

It sounds like it’s working for them. Alice’s daughter no longer has to constantly worry about her mother and it actually is probably much cheaper than disrupting her life to move Alice to elderly housing that includes housekeeping and similar ‘nursing’ type needs.

It’s also illegal, I’m pretty sure.

Betty doesn’t report the ‘stipend’, let alone the value of the room/board/etc. as income. Alice isn’t paying Social Security or other withholding taxes. Betty says it doesn’t really ‘matter’ since she plans to collect on her husbands SS when the time comes.

So… well, I can’t work up any outrage over it. A woman with a house, who couldn’t live alone. Another woman who likely couldn’t hold down a job that would provide enough money for her to rent a decent place to live and pay her bills. A third woman who was finding it increasingly hard to keep the first woman safe and cared for.

Even if it’s illegal, who is being hurt? Yes, the taxes aren’t being paid. OTOH, the government would likely have to be paying a ton of money towards providing needed services for Alice that her daughter is able to cover in this lower cost way.

I would struggle to get outraged about it too, it sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement for Alice and her daughter and as you say, it would probably be much cheaper than having the state providing that level of care.

I am sure the government would feel hurt if some taxes weren’t being paid, but if there is a minimum personal tax allowance, it might be that Betty’s “stipend” and other income doesn’t take her above that level so she wouldn’t have a taxable income in the first place.

Doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m happy to pay taxes, but I can afford it.

I wouldn’t get outraged - but there may not be anything illegal about it. Room and board is taxable if it’s a fringe benefit, but not if it’s a job requirement for the convenience of the employer. And withholding/SS taxes depends on the size of the stipend - if it’s less than $2600/yr or $1000/quarter, SS and withholding is not required.

I don’t see it as a problem unless the payer is deducting it as an expense on their taxes. Betty’s getting cash for a service.
Babysitters are paid likewise everyday.
Unless it’s a daycare center I don’t see the government needs to be involved.

Not only would I not be outraged…it wouldn’t even occur to me to be so much as miffed or nettled.

mmm

I can’t even muster the energy to furrow my brow. Not even a wrinkle.

About ten years ago, when trying to arrange this for an elderly aunt, our choices were $40k “under the table” to a private individual or $150k to an agency.

I’m curious how much time Betty has off. Can Alice be left alone at all? Does someone else fill in on weekends?

I need one of those!

This is my life. Perhaps I need a minder myself.

And it sounds like a fine arrangement. But it’s going to get harder for Betty as Alice gets older. What happens then?

My ‘minder’ is a bossy Nazi. But I love her.
Good with bad is real thing.

Officially they’re roommates, right? Isn’t that what you’re describing? Why would Betty or Alice have to report “room and board”? It’s awful nice these two ladies are friends, isn’t it? :wink: When Betty’s husband was a alive did Betty and Mr. Betty have to declare room and board for her?

I have no idea what the “stipend” involved is. It’s possible it’s under the reporting limit, although that’s pretty low these days and a bit unlikely. Sounds like Alice’s family, or Alice’s money, are paying for the household. If Alice’s home is also Betty’s full time residence they’re room mates.

And if Betty really was a stay-at-home housewife then her own SS would be minimal - she probably really is better off collecting on her husband’s SS. That’s what the so-called “widow’s benefit” is for.

This is the sort of informal arrangement no one should get worked up about, and similar arrangements are more common than people realize.

What happens if Alice suddenly dies before Betty can collect SS? What happens then?

So far, Alice is fine alone, at least for several hours at a stretch. Like after Betty has gotten Alice to eat lunch, she encourages her to visit the bathroom, and then settles her into one of three reclining chairs, depending on if she’s in the mood to watch TV (most common), or read, or the one that looks out a window where there’s a bird feeder and a view down onto the neighborhood street. Alice does that activity, interspersed with longish stretches of just seeming to zone out and actual naps, apparently perfectly contented. Betty is then free to do outside activities for Alice’s benefit (grocery shopping, runs to the pharmacy, whatever), take care of her own needs (like clothes shopping or hair appointments), or just things like going for a walk or seeing a matinee.

She even has a few friends in the neighborhood who drop in to talk, and a mah jongg club that meets weekly at Alice’s place. Some times Alice will ‘join’ them in the room, or at least share in any refreshments, though she can’t play the game itself. (She seems to enjoy the company/conversations happening around her, even though she doesn’t really join in.)

It’s seven days a week so far, but Betty says overall taking care of Alice involves less time than when she was doing similar type cleaning/organizing/companioning for her husband. She has had a few vacations – there’s a “respite care” service Alice’s daughter has arranged with for a replacement for stretches between a long weekend to a week or so, for Betty to visit her extended family.

And in theory, they are supposed to report that income.

But yeah, let’s get real. That ain’t happening.

Room/board wouldn’t be taxable in this situation (as someone else noted) because it’s for the convenience of the employer.

The stipend: yeah, it ought to be treated as income, with withholding, Social Security etc., but I’m not gonna get to upset about it. As long as Betty is certain her husband earned enough that she will be entitled to Social Security, she’s covered there. It’s unlikely that anything she earned above the table would be enough to improve her benefit, either.

Then things will change, I suppose. Betty has done a fair bit of reading up on the likely course dementia will take since going down this road. She knows her current situation won’t go on forever, and that as these things go, this is about the best level it could be. Some people with dementia can become quarrelsome, even violent. Many can become ‘wanderers’ and require, if not constant eyes-on watching, at least a ‘controlled’ environment. Which is a nice way of saying they have to be kept confined with locked doors and such for their own safety.

Alice so far is just a ‘withdrawing’ type. She has less and less interest in the world, content to casually observe it through television or looking out a window or such. I mentioned above that she enjoys reading. What that really means is that she four books by her favorite author – I forget the author, she writes ‘family history/romance/non-scary dilemmas’ books. Betty gives them to her to read in rotation. She says sometimes (not often) Alice will realize that she’s read a book before, but she has happily said things like, “Oh, I read so fast I sometimes miss stuff, so I always find new things to enjoy in a book.”

Which is heart-breaking and nice, at the same time. These are books Betty KNOWS Alice will enjoy reading, and there will always be a “new” book by her favorite author ready for her…even though the author hasn’t published any new books for over a decade. I have quite a few favorite authors I’d love to have a ‘new’ book from to enjoy, but I’d rather it not be by this method!

I’m rambling. Anyway, Betty understands this situation will not go on, probably not for very much longer. Alice has a heart-condition as well, one guaranteed to eventually require true nursing level care, unless something else, like a new variant of Covid, takes her first. But Betty isn’t worried. She says Alice’s primary physician (Betty attends Alice’s appointments, needed to be sure the doctor is getting more than ‘everything is fine’ from Alice and to keep Betty informed of any needed changes) has mentioned to her how good her services have been for Alice, and that he has many other patients who would benefit from similar type help, and that he would be delighted to recommend her to them/their families when her time with Alice is over.

And, of course, the situation could end because of something on Betty’s end. But, that’s how it goes. Hopefully she’ll stays in good health until retirement age.

It’s unfortunate that this thread even exists…because to American Dopers this type of care for the elderly seems so unusual that it earns a thread of its own.

In other countries, this thread would be unnecessary…because live-in aides are very common, and just a natural part of life for the elderly. .

Live-in caretakers are a huge international industry. And it works very well.

In many poor third-world countries, it is common to leave your home and family behind, and travel to another country to work as a live-in aide and send yourr salary back to support your family. The money earned is more than they could make at home, so much that it is not just important to the family–the money is
actually a significant portion of the country’s economy.

Where I live (in Israel) there are lots of manpower companies who hire and train people in the Philippines, in Nepal, in India, and bring them here to live with and care for an elderly person.
Although it is officially an situation of an employer/employee relationship, the aide usually becomes a part of the family. They typically stay for several years, living with the same family.
Work permits are arranged with the government, salaries paid with government supervision.
It is all very well organized and the situation works well for everybody.

In America, it would be feasible to do the same thing. There is a huge demand from aging boomers for live-in aides. And there is a large supply of potential workers---- just south of the border.

I have to say I wonder how that works - according to what I have been able to find there is a much higher percentage of people in Israel with live in caregivers than there is in other countries - and since you are talking about work permits and government supervision, I am assuming that these people are not working for room, board and a little spending money. If I was to hire a live in caregiver and pay even minimum wage in my city, that would be $30,000 a year just in salary which only fairly affluent people could afford. Are people in Israel able to afford to pay caregivers whatever minimum wage is or is the government subsidizing it - or are they working for room, board and a little spending money?/

The salary is a a bit less than the regular Israeli minimum wage, and the government social security pays a portion.
It’s affordable to most people.

A more realistic number for round the clock care would be over $100k anywhere in the country and closer to $200k in many areas. That’s because you need 4 full time employees to cover 168 hours a week.

The way it works in some [medium income] countries is that the room and board is a major component of the compensation, there is not much time off or downtime, and almost the total cash compensation is remitted to a low income country.

In the US you can’t easily import someone from a low income country and employ them in a domestic setting for $2/hour + room and board. You end up with many largely grey market solutions.

For example, one of my neighbors was being cared for by two guys from a very poor West African country who were here on student visas and not authorized to work outside the college campus.

Another person I know has employed a 60 something Chinese person to take care of her 90 something mother. The caregiver who simply overstayed her visitor visa and has been living here for years. She originally came here ostensibly to visit her new grandchild, but that kid is in school now. She’s happy to get whatever cash income she can because she can’t work legally and other forms of work available to her are physically even more demanding and even dangerous.