Living in a music bubble! Broaden my horizons!

I only have three bands I listen to constantly. I’m getting sick of them.

1. Rasputina

2. Type O Negative

3. Lacuna Coil

I also like Tori Amos. So based on my taste in music, who can help me broaden my horizons?

If you like Lacuna Coil, you’ll probably like Nightwish. They’re a Finnish “fantasy metal” band, with an operatic girl singer, fast tempos, melodramatic arrangements, and lyrics about fantasy epics–very Scandinavian. I always hear fans of one band talk about the other as well. I haven’t heard Lacuna Coil yet (although I’d like to) and I’ve only recently been exposed to Nightwish, but give them a chance.

If you like Tori Amos, try anything by Kate Bush (probably Tori’s biggest stylistic predecessor), or the album “Blacklisted” by Neko Case. Neko Case’s music is categorized as alternative-country, but there is nothing about her like Shania Twain or Faith Hill. Her music is dark and haunting and cinematic and beautiful, and she often appeals to fans of “darker” artists like Tori, Tom Waits, and Nick Cave.

I found this rather useful in finding new artists to listen to.

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Go out and buy everything that they made

You will not be disappointed.
And also Slint… get some slint…it is awesome.

you might like Cocorosie’s debut album, “la maison de mon reve.” It’s one of my top-10 of 2004, and I’m a professional music journalist, if that says anything.

They’re a sister duo who do a sort of creepy, hypnotic, beautiful take on american folk and gospel. They definitely remind me of Tori Amos and Rasputina, with creepy, interesting lyrics and trembling, warbling vocals.

For sure: Lisa Germano. Geek the Girl and Happiness are my favorites.

Also try:

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust.

The Cure - Disintegration.

Cocteau Twins - Treasure.

Nick Cave - The Boatman’s Call.

Tindersticks - Tindersticks.

Love - Forever Changes (doesn’t go with your choices at all, but everyone should hear it).

You can never go wrong with Tool.

I’d suggest Aenima, Lateralus, Opiate, and Undertow in that order but the second and third could be switched up with no real consequence.

That is the most interesting site.

I found that most other artists I have bought albums by have been very close to Rasputina on the music map.

If you want to support another indie artist in a “hard-to-classify” genre (like Tori) , try Happy Rhodes (sampler songs here). There are many other artists I love, such as Tori and Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel, but Happy is kind of my musical soul mate. I’m not affiliated with her in any way, just a long-time fan.

She has one of the most incredible voices, with an awe-inspiring range. Just listen to one song and you’ll see.

She has 10 albums, all indie releases. She’s been working on her 11th for about 5 years. It’s taken that long mainly because she has no money. She works a day job and saves enough to record part of a track, then work some more to record part of another track…it’s been an ongoing process. I think they’re all recorded now but not mixed. Ghod knows how long that will take. If I were a millionaire I’d build her a studio, because I’m impatient. I love her music and I hate waiting for new stuff. She’s pretty much a poster girl for continuing to make music out of love, even if she never makes a dime.

Cool site, but it seems to have sucked a lot of energy out of my browser, which eventually closed down. It didn’t crash, per se, but things slowed and froze up so much that I accidentally closed down both browser windows, instead of just the one with that website.

It was a cool site though. However, based on the three searches I did, I’m not sure how effective it is. First, I searched for Alice Cooper. I got a fairly large chart, with most of the usual suspects. A few bands caught me off guard. I get the impression that it’s more of a “six-degrees”-like thing, except based on style. Which means, depending on the target of the search, some of the bands on the outer limits would make somewhat strange bedfellows.

My second search was for Tegan & Sara. Since they’re still relatively unknown, their chart was fairly small. I could identify a couple of the other artists, but found it suspicious that a lot of them had “Sara(h)” somewhere in their names. Do a lot of Sara(h)s simply gravitate to particular genres of music? :rolleyes:

My third search - Bif Naked - was disappointing. Although I only know them by one song off a compilation CD, I was pleased to see K’s Choice on the chart. And I saw the OP’s Rasputina (who I’m unfamiliar with) there as well, which was cool. However, the chart was pretty small for an artist like Bif Naked, who had plenty of connections all across the Canadian music scene.

For the record (no pun intended :slight_smile: ), my music collection is quite modest, consisting of about 60 CDs, 90 cassettes and a couple dozen vinyl albums. More than 30 of the cassettes and a dozen of the albums are all Alice Cooper, but my tastes are quite varied…

Abba, AC/DC, Alice Cooper (of course :wink: ), Bif Naked (a member of my “book of goddesses”), Black Sabbath, Blondie, The Cranberries, Dido, Garbage, Liz Phair, Madonna, Men Without Hats, Niagara (from France), Nirvana, Republica, Roy Orbison, Sarah McLachlan, Sonic Youth, Tegan & Sara, The White Stripes…

Anyhoo…

There’s not much out there that’s similar to Rasputina, but if you like them, you might like Darling Violetta, Tapping the Vein, Queen Adreena, Jack Off Jill, or Scarling. None of them sound like Rasputina, but they strike me as similar anyway.

If you like Type O Negative and Lacuna Coil, you’re probably a goth metal fan. You should check out Beseech, Moonspell, Evanescence, The Gathering, Nightwish, After Forever, Arise From Thorns/Brave (two incarnations of one group), Rain Fell Within, Collide, Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, Sirenia, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Evoken, HIM, Christian Death, Anathema, Godhead, Sentenced, Amorphis, Opeth, and Katatonia, at least to start.