Location following job, or job following location?

Here’s something I was pondering on the train today:

Did more people choose where they wanted to live, and then selected a job limited by that location, or choose a job and then lived in whatever location because of that job?

I’ve done it both ways.

I prefer to live in Denver, and find a job where I can stay here. It would have to be a tremendous job to get me to move again. Like, Senator or Prime Minister of Italy or something.

Yeah… I used to move whereever the job took me, and eventually realized that life was too short to live in shitty places.

[hijack]I’ve moved to Denver a couple of times now, Frank, and hopefully will get to do so one more time someday.[/hijack]

I’m tied to the Boston area because of my wife’s job. However, I can’t stand much of the Greater Boston area. I chose our house very carefully. Our house, land, and neighborhood look and feel more like they are in Vermont than a Boston suburb and that is just the way I like it. It takes us an hour to get to work and many other places but I don’t care. I guess I am one of those combo cases.

I took a job here before moving here. But, my current address is the 17th one I’ve had in 34 years (though just the 5th one since moving out on my own almost 12 years ago), including stays in five other states and two other countries, so moving isn’t much of a big deal to me.

I’m a little too chicken to move anywhere without having a job first, but if I found a place I wanted to live in badly enough I’d probably do it – if the market for my kind of work existed at all. Good job market or no, I’d definitely be willing to move first if I was in a serious relationship with someone who had to move. At the moment, though, no SO exists and the best market for the kind of work I do happens to be right here. So I’ll probably stay in the DC area for a while. :slight_smile:

Location, location, location. I will never move from Colorado again, no matter the offer. Jobs are easy enough to get.

Chose a job, and lived in whatever location. I work in a very specialized profession, a field where job openings are rare. Few in the profession move to a city, hoping to find a job in the field there. Instead, you search all the open positions in the country, and apply for those you’re qualified for in locations you would tolerate.

I did have a choice with my surrent position, but only between Cleveland and Charlotte; I got offers from local governments in both cities at about the same time. I picked Cleveland, because I’d be within a three to four hour drive of my aging parents.

After I moved to Cleveland and settled in, I got an offer from a city near San Francisco. I would have jumped at the chance, but they were too late.

I have twice moved to Seattle with no job, and I’d do it again if necessary. I love it here.

I doubt I would have picked Texas if I could move anywhere. However, in my field, two of the three major companies are located here. There are branch offices spread throughout the United States. I realized I had hit a dead end at the last branch office I worked at in Ohio. So, I’m kinda trying to become invaluable enough that I’ll have the option to pick a branch office to manage.

I had a job in a school and then deliberately bought a house half a mile from my job and then was moved to the central office! I am now about 2 miles away,which won’t kill me, but being able to bike to work was way cool (yes, I am too lazy to bike the 2 miles; there’s a big hill.) I always wonder about people who have long commutes. I couldn’t stand it.

Have made the following statement multiple times over my career:
“Did I ever wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking, If I was only in (insert name of city that job has taken you to here)? No, but now that I’m here, it’s not too bad.”

As you can probably deduce from the above, jobs have taken me to some locales not exactly on top of the Hot Places to Live list.