Long-haired dogs and gum: Not a good combination

Yesterday, my beloved fluffball Mia smelled something deliciously strawberry and kiwi in my brother’s little trashcan. Always the curious (and hungry) one, she decided to investigate. She pulled her head out with a wad of strawberry-kiwi gum stuck in to her beard. At least now she knew where the smell was coming from!

However, Mia was not particularly pleased to have a giant wad of gum stuck to her head. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn’t have been that thrilled either. So she took her paw, and attempted to remove the gum by batting at it with her paw.

My mother found her not much later, and had to cut the gum out of her beard (there was no other way; it was like trying to get gum off of a big ball of cotton). She then put the dog down, but soon noticed that the sound of her walk had a different pattern than usual: click (of the toenails) click click stick. Click click click stick. And the dog was shooting some very distressed looks at her paw. Turns out that she had managed to get the gum stuck to the fur between the paw pads on the bottom of her paw. Which, of course, was great fun to remove, especially considering that she hates having her paws touched.
Gum and dogs, especially long-haired ones, don’t mix well. In fact, they just stick. Be advised.

(Sorry for the lack of gummed-up dog pictures; we were a bit more worried about fixing the problem before she could make it any worse. As it is, one side of her beard is now rather shorter than the other…)

Funny! I had a group of kids come by to visit and shortly after they left I found a wad of gum stuck to my dogs belly. I decided a kid stuck it there sort of like when you stick your gum under your desk at school.

You can get gum out of hair with peanut butter. Can you imagine watching your dog chase its self trying to get the peanut butter on its face.