There’s a number of false “bilingual” words. That is, they are coincidentally spelled the same, but are not actually related and have unrelated meanings. Off the top of my head, I can come up with a number of them, all of them between English and another language, but none longer than 4 letters:
- Gift (German) means “poison”
- pays (French) means “country” or “region”
- rang (French) means “line” or “row”
- pain (French) means “bread”
- stem (Dutch) means “vote”
So anyone know of a longer example? They can be between any two languages, but remember the words do have to be unrelated.