Looking for a custom-made computer, need place to go

I am looking to order a new machine soon and would rather not have all of the preinstalled BS software that come with computers now days.
I know all the big names have a custom ordering option but still come with pre-installed software.
Is there any place I can get a good machine that will come to me with just windows installed?
Or would it be better to just uninstall everything it comes with?
I have everything I currently need on CD to be installed and would never use anything that would come pre installed(for the most part) and it would take up disk space I could put to better use.

Im sure you can find a friend or co worker who knows how to put together a computer, but if you want to get cheap parts this web site is really good: http://www.newegg.com

Quoted by stuffusbus
But if you want to get cheap parts this web site is really good: http://www.newegg.com

Hardly. They’re pretty reliable and I’ve bought from them many times. But “cheap”? Look on pricewatch.com or any of the other such sites and check resellerratings.com. Or just go with eBay.

As to the original OP, if all you’re looking for is ‘more space’. Then, just get any comp, then reformat !!!

You can find the device names and drivers pretty quickly for most branded computers nowadays. If you want some company to build a system from scratch for you, Monarch Computers is a good online vendor.

Well, if you want the best of the best and money is no object then try one of these:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/
http://www.alienware.com/

Either of those two will build a top notch computer and will pretty much put (or not put) whatever you request on it. Their prices aren’t actually too bad considering what they offer but they both represent the Rolls Royce of the PC industry.

Bottom line is while they offer package systems they will build a PC for you from the ground-up to your specifications.

Pick up a copy of Computer Shopper from your nearest magazine stand, and check out the ads.

In addition to heavyweights like Gateway, Micron, and Dell, there are 5-10 more obscure companies that provide a line of custom-built systems. Generally, they’ll have maybe 8 different packages, to which you can add and delete options.

Personally I’ve been happy with three different computers I purchased from NuTrend over the past few years, and less happy with one from IBuyPower. YMMV, but there’s several others like TigerDirect.

Good luck.

Gyan9: Newegg is most definitely cheap. They offer the lowest prices available on many components, easily beating out the fly-by-night pricewatch crew. Sure, you can find better deals on some components, but overall newegg is about the least expensive place to shop online.

Alienware does that?

When I was set up my last rig for CG work (last Sep.), I checked them out. They have about 4-6 core configurations (maybe a few more), on top of which you can customize stuff like sound card or speakers or amount of memory…etc

But (atleast then) you couldn’t build a specific system from scratch viz. say, Asus P4PE BP motherboard, 2x512 Corsair XMS3200-PT, Leadtek A250 128MB card…etc

Also, I compared my complete final configuration after purchase with comparable Alienware and mine was $1000 cheaper than their config without a monitor (while I had a retail 15" DVI TFT & a 21" Sony Trinitron tube figured in). Maybe, if you really need the support services, then it could be worth it.

When I was setting up the rig mentioned above, I compared Newegg, Googlegear, Pricewatch alongwith eBay. Barring two components (Antec 430W PSU and retail P4-2.26B proc), I got all other components (most retail) cheaper elsewhere.

I don’t know much about them quality-wise, but the configurators at ibuypower and CyberPower (which look suspicioulsy alike…) let you do just about anything. I’ve “put together” several systems that I’d like to buy sometime, all without anything on their hard drives.

I have checked out both alienware and falcon, my dream machine at alienware is around 3 grand

I liked what monarch has to offer, i do need to do some research on motherboards and a few other things. Lots of options and I do know I dont need the absolute best.
The system I did price out was @ $1100, which seems to be a good deal as long as my choice of things works out together.
I will be mainly doing music work but I would like to get into video editting and I know that requires a machine of some substantial power
But since it wont be the primary function I think i can get by with a little less. I mostly want to take video clips and mix them together into a movie and add an audio track to it. Basically adding visuals to DJ Mix CDs.

If anyone has a suggestion or 2 for motherboards, power supplies etc (Basically The things most places dont give you a choice of) I owuld welcome them, I am going to hit up the barnes and noble tomorrow and do some reading and see what i can find

I have checked out both alienware and falcon, my dream machine at alienware is around 3 grand

I liked what monarch has to offer, i do need to do some research on motherboards and a few other things. Lots of options and I do know I dont need the absolute best.
The system I did price out was @ $1100, which seems to be a good deal as long as my choice of things works out together.
I will be mainly doing music work but I would like to get into video editting and I know that requires a machine of some substantial power
But since it wont be the primary function I think i can get by with a little less. I mostly want to take video clips and mix them together into a movie and add an audio track to it. Basically adding visuals to DJ Mix CDs.

If anyone has a suggestion or 2 for motherboards, power supplies etc (Basically The things most places dont give you a choice of) I owuld welcome them, I am going to hit up the barnes and noble tomorrow and do some reading and see what i can find

Gyan9: Sure, it is possible to get lower prices on some components elsewhere. However, the lowest prices on pricewatch are generally scam retailers. Same with ebay. Newegg offers guaranteed reliability and inexpensive shipping along with very low prices. Rarely will you find anyone underbidding newegg by more than a couple dollars. Overall, if you’re not comfortable ordering from three seperate retailers in order to get the absolute best prices, Newegg will cost you less and give you a better experience than anyone else.

You don’t happen to know Paul K at ADS there in Austin do you?

“Is there any place I can get a good machine that will come to me with just windows installed?”

computergeeks.com always has some on their front page, refurbs have no OS on them usually.

You know if you get a computer with software on it from HP or Dell you can reformat it with the disk it comes with & install just windows, because those computers come with a windows install disk.

Everything you requested:

http://www.geekgeek.com/home.php

Can’t say as I do…I just ripped that quote off from one of my favorite local cartoonists there on icomix.com