New computer building question

What are the cheapest companies out there to buy parts to build a new computer system? Newegg seems pretty good, is there anything better?

Unfortunately, like many things bought in bulk, it depends on the part. I usually buy everything from NewEgg just for the convenience, but if I was willing to buy from multiple vendors, I could probably save some money (even with the extra shipping). Others to look at: zipzoomfly, outpost/frys, even Amazon. Then there are the specialty vendors: datamem is good for memory, for example.

Also, if you live in a reasonably populated area, don’t forget those little “computer repair” stores on every other corner. They often have very good deals on components – especially if you’re 95% done with building your new system and the power supply fails.

Newegg is pretty much the best bet – though not the absolute cheapest usually, always very reliable.

Other than that your best bet is to use http://www.pricewatch.com to find the cheapest price on a part and then www.resellerratings.com to see if the (no-name) store is reputable. You’ve always got to be careful when trying to save an extra buck or two.

Cheaper? Maybe.
Better? Maybe.

Cheaper and better? Doubtful.

The trick, as **TimeWinder ** mentions is that you’re buying things one at a time, so you have no hopes of getting better pricing of the sort that allows name-brand makers to sell PCs for $500 with a legal copy of Windows.

The online market for PC components is pretty competitive. If Company A sells a particular item for a certain price, it all but forces everyone else to match that price, or attempt to make up the difference somehow to entice price-sensitive buyers to still buy it from them even if it costs a couple bucks more.

Both Amazon and NewEgg are among the highest-rated online vendors. They’ve got thousands of happy (and repeat!) customers, cheap or free shipping options, and sensible returns policies. You’ll find that a lot of the super-cheap places make up the difference in higher shipping and onerous charges like restocking fees if you need to return something.

Thanks for the advice friends!! Please feel free to add anything else you think might be helpful! :wink:

Newegg is excellent. I use it to window shop, even if I ultimately buy from elsewhere. It’s very easy to search for components there.

Pricewatch.com is useful for comparing prices if you know exactly what part you want. You’ll find newegg typically has competitive prices, even consider the overhead of California sales tax. If you’re out-of-state, you’re golden.

My other favorite store is mwave.com. I like them because they’ll seat your cpu, heatsink and ram onto your motherboard, plus do a smoke-test that it actually works.

Don’t forget to look at sales at CompUSA, Best Buy and Circuit City…even Wal Mart for components. If you have those stores in town and things are on sale you might do better there (on some parts) than online when you factor in shipping.

I bought my last router at BB and it ended up being $5 less than Newegg. Bought a HDD there too (on sale) and with my resulting Reward Zone gift certificate it was less than Newegg.

I’ve bought plenty of stuff at CompUSA like, say, fans, keyboards, mice, etc because it was just cheaper than paying shipping on Newegg.

But I do love Newegg - the prices are great and the wealth of information gained from the product reviews can’t be beat.

I’ve bult a great many computers over the years, and while sometimes try different places, I have had excellent luck withJDR Microdevices.

You can also call them at 800-538-5000 and order a print catalog.

Their tech support is also good if you ever have any problems.

I have no connection with this outfit, just found them to be good place to do business for good prices.

That looks very interesting, what pray tell is a “smoke test”? That doesn’t sound good :eek:

I will definitely check them out, a catalog would be nice!

A smoke test (isn’t Wiki great?) is when you first power up a circuit and check that the basics are working. Smoke means you fail. :smiley: