Looking for cheap (decent) guesthouses in Tokyo

So long story short, I’m going to try and take a short vacation in Tokyo this spring, preferably in January or early February. Being the poor and miserly sort that I am, I don’t want to spend money. Given that that isn’t possible, though, I’m looking for a guesthouse or hotel with reasonable rates for a one or two-month stay. I don’t know the city that well, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I’ve never been there, but from all I’ve heard, getting cheap housing in Tokyo is like trying to get a cheap ticket to the Moon.

I know, it’s basically saying the same thing as “Looking for reasonable rent in NYC”. :smack:

I guess I should say that I’m looking for the most reasonable options, given that it’s Tokyo. So far the best deals I’ve seen for short-term housing are averaging around $600-650/month, and while that’s probably the best I’m going to get, I was really hoping to get it down to around $500 if at all possible. >_<

What standard of housing are you looking for? If you’re willing to live in a dorm type situation (sharing a room, not just the facilities), you can probably do cheaper than that. Let me know and I’ll send you some links.

Single occupancy rooms are obviously preferable, but if it saves money I would certainly be willing to live in a dorm. I’m going to be at a dojo for most of the day 7 days a week, so all I really need is something with a bed, bathroom, and free or coin laundry.