Looking for good online crossword puzzle source

MSNBC.COM had one of the best daily online crossword puzzles on the web in my opinion. It had everything I wanted. It responded well to keyboard typing, you could solve by letter, word or puzzle. It was daily; which was all I needed or wanted. You could easily print out the crossword if you wanted to take it to the shitter.

Then it switched over to NBCNews.com It was still the same crossword software; but recently they would skip days at a time. Now there’s not even a link for crosswords. If they’ve moved it, I can’t find it.

I’ve tried others, and I’m just not satisfied. USAToday makes you wait for a God awful long advertisement before theirs will start up; plus it doesn’t react fast enough. If I know the answer and type it in, half of the letters get skipped because I typed too fast. If I have to backspace, you have to backspace twice to erase a character. It sucks.

What (free) online crossword puzzles do you guys use? What do you like about it? What do you hate about it?

USA Today has one. Or at least they used to.

The Washington Post has a decent daily one, and the Sunday ones are edited by Merl Reagle.

There are ads. I don’t know if you consider them unreasonably long.

Perhaps try: Crosswords, Puzzles, and Online Games - The Washington Post - The Washington PosterCrosswords, Puzzles, and Online Games - The Washington Post - The Washington Post

The Wall Street Journal has two or three a week; they are always more interesting than the daily Washington Post. The Chronicle of Higher Education also has a good one (usually with an academic twist) every week.

The opening add is unfortunate but I guess that’s the price I have to pay. I did a couple of the Washington Posts. I like them. Thanks for the fresh suggestion to bup and janeslogin. I’ll have to check out the Wall Street journal one too.

If you like Crossword puzzles as much as you seem to, i’d recommend buying the New York Times Crossword puzzle app.

The nice thing about it is that you can go back literally years and work on puzzles that are in their archives.

It is a pretty nice app, too. An occasional glitch here and there, but no real complaints. The price was kind of high for an app, but I can’t remember what i paid. Around $18 is stuck in my memory for some reason.

I believe it is an annual fee, but I love crossword puzzles and it is worth it to me. I can pull up a few Sunday puzzles during the week if i have some time to kill, and like i said, you can go back years.

The Guardian has standard and cryptic crosswords and a huge archive. http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

I second this. I’m working my way through the past 3 years for fun. Did all Mondays, then Tuesdays, etc. It’s also one of the few iPhone games that I have that can be played in Airplane mode. Just have to download the puzzles in advance as they are not all preloaded (only takes a second or two per puzzle).

Dang it, you Apple people! I have a Windows phone, and I use Windows 7 and 8 at work. Unless I’m mistaken, you’re talking about the iPhone/iPad app, right? I didn’t really point it out in the OP but I’m looking for something that I use primarily at work. :wink: It’s been my daily lunch break diversion as long as I can remember.

Yes, this is an app for the ipad/iphone.

The Crossword Puzzle Turns 100 claims to be the first crossword ever.