Looking for hospitable LA residents

First of all, hi everybody. I’m back. I’m sure nobody remembers me by now but I used to be a member and after a long hiatus, i’ve recently reactivated my account.
Do I hear the sound of nobody caring? :wink: Alright then. On with the post.

I’m thinking of going to this year’s E3 . For those who don’t know, the E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) is the world’s biggest and most important videogame fair (followed by the japanese TGS and the european ECTS) . Every year, all the companies in the videogame industry who can afford it exhibit their upcoming products, make announcements, etc. at the show . It’s holy grail of every gamer worth his/her salt.

This year’s E3 is even more exciting because we’ll get the first glimpses of the upcoming next generation consoles (PS3, Xenon, Nintendo Revolution) . Needless to say, as a hardcore gamer, I would love to be there in person. Normally, this wouldn’t matter because entrance is reserved to members of the Gaming Industry (developpers, publishers, media…) but it just so happens that an aquaintance of mine who does work in the industry can get me a pass.

Unfortunately, I do not have the pleasure to live in LA. Instead, i’m stuck in southeast florida which is kind of far away from there. Luckily, one of my wife’s friends has a husband that works for an airline company and can get me a buddy pass for the roundtrip flight. I’m not quite sure what that is but i know it’ll allow me to fly for next to nothing.

This leaves the question of lodging.

I am aware that this is a very long shot. But I was thinking that maybe I could save some money if I could stay at someone’s place instead of paying $200+ for 3 nights at some motel. I don’t need a bed or a room. A sofa will do just fine.

Of course, I’d be more than willing to return the favor. I live in the vicinity of Miami and Palm Beach (coral springs to be precise) and if you ever feel like visiting sunny southeast florida, you could stay at my place.

The E3 takes place between the 18th and 20th of May and I would need a place to sleep on the 17th, 18th and 19th of May.

So, if you’re interested, let me know. Ontop of my offer to reciprocate the favor, I’ll surely find some way of repaying your kindness with things such as Liquor, maybe a nice dinner? Gameboy SP? I’m sure we can work something out.

If you have any questions. feel free to email me at gozulin at gmail dot com or to post them in this thread.

I think that’s about it. Thanks for taking the time to read this and take care.

Gozu
Frequently Asked Questions:**

I don’t trust you. You have shifty eyes, sweaty hands and a shady demeanor. Why should I let you into my home?

What did you say? I’ll beep beep you, you son of a beep beep. I’ll beep teach you to beep trust me!

I don’t live in LA, I live in Atlanta, Georgia but you could stay at my place if you want

That depends. Are you Julia Roberts or Angelina Jolie? If so, screw the E3.

Do you like pie? I like pie

I do like pie! We were meant to be together.

You lie! Nobody asked you these questions. You made them up!

That is not a question.

I’d help you out, but I don’t have a couch. Oh, and I don’t live in California anymore.

It’s the thought that counts.

Also, buy a couch.

I’ve been meaning to do, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet. I thought I’d just use my fiancée’s when she came out, but… Well, I guess I should shop for a couch. :frowning:

What did you mean by “when she came out” ?

Of course, if i’m being indiscrete, feel free to ignore my question.

She lives in another state. She changed her mind about getting married.

Anyway, this is keeping the thread at the top of the queue so that L.A. Dopers can see it! :wink:

Oh, sorry about that.

Heh, It’s kinda late for dopers to be reading right now. Then again…it’s only midnight on the west coast so who knows…

E3? For free? You lucky dog!

You’d think with all the new smilies, there’d be a “shaking fist” one. But since I don’t have any space, I think I’m out. Drat.

Now that you mention it, some people do have to pay $275 for the 3-days exhibit. I wonder who…members of the media maybe?

“No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots.” Barbara Ehrenreich

Dang! I certainly do remember you, Gozu, and we’d ordinarily be happy to offer to put you up, but we’re going to be out of town that week. :frowning:

Good luck, I hope you can find accomodations. And have fun at the expo!

Why, I am pleasantly surprised that you remember me at all. Once again, it’s the tought that counts :slight_smile:

I’d date a geek if it meant getting into E3 to see what Maxis/EA has up their sleeves. Did I say that out loud? :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately, I could only (and barely at that) get one pass.

But if do manage to get lodging, I’ll try to take lots and lots of pictures and write up my impressions here. Why anyone would bother reading those instead of the much more professional and comprehensive coverage that will no doubt be provided by Gamespot, IGN and the likes is another question altogether :slight_smile:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Gozu, I don’t know if I’m going to be around on those dates (I travel quite a bit on short notice for my job), but if I am and you can’t find anyone else, let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I’m in Pasadena, so you can just take the Metro Gold Line down to Union Station and out and about from there.

Stranger

I can’t help with lodging in that area, sorry.

Just thought I’d suggest checking out hostels if you can’t find someone that can host you for a few nights.

Good luck. E3 sounds like fun.

Thanks for the offer! Since , as you said, you might not be there on those dates, I’ll keep looking and have you in mind as a potential backup.

psycat90, that is a last resort.

He who boasts of his ancestry is praising the deeds of another. Seneca

found lodging yet? i might be able to help.

i live near LAX (inglewood) which is 10+ miles from LA Convention center. picking you up & dropping you at LAX quite possible. i have plenty of room & should be home (literally) all that week.

conditions? always!

these would be mine:

1. references & id sufficient to check you out with

2. my bro lives in ft myers - lets consider alternative, but not monetary compensation

3. can you handle my environment?
    no kids pets or plants & i dont smoke but im overhauling this place, so its like a construction site but still fully functional. cleanliness standards: im no felix unger but i dont tolerate filth or disorder too well. since i get no joy from cleaning & im more production oriented, i focus on mess prevention/reduction. i keep my bathrooms dry & picked up. the stove will have more dust than drippings on it. you may find a dirty dish or 2 outside the dishwasher, but they wont have food on them - i dont leave food out ever.

4. byo bathroom stuff (towel too) & youre on your own for food

5. sworn statements releasing me from liability & protecting my health

jeez, nothing can be simple anymore!

let me know if we should talk more