Looking for information (size/range/cost) on RF devices.

I’m trying to find information about RF devices. Specifically, I’m looking for a small RF broadcast receiver that operates over a distance of 7 to 10 feet. I’d like to learn how they work, their size, range and bulk cost.

You’re going to need to privide some clarification. What sort of application are you looking into? The more detail you can provide, the better.

Sorry, I didn’t want to include anything that might be irrelevant and just confused the question.

Okay, here’s what I’m looking for. I want to find a device which will broadcast programable information over a limited range. The idea would be that the device would have a few dip switches and would air the settings over ten foot radius. Any similar device in range with the same settings would respond in some fashion. I’m thinking of something small enough that it could roughly fit in a 2" x 2" enclosure and would be cheap enough to distribute a large volume for under $1.00.

This (Warning: PDF Document) seems to be what you’re looking for, based upon your clarification. The codument contains links to more detailed information.

WTF is a “codument”? Sheesh.

Something you put on a franfuter.

…or a humbugger…

Getting back to the OP.

You should probably take a look at Bluetooth. It has the right range and may do what you want. If it does, there are very inexpensive Bluetooth chip sets available.