Looking up phone numbers on Google gives nothing but junk?

It used to be that searching the number from which you received a call had a pretty good chance of actually showing which (wrong number/spammer) made the call.

But searching on Google now, almost all the results are “.gov.tr” sites which seem to consist of random phone numbers and names that are clearly gibberish, such as " Audriana Khazansky . . . Littlebrownfox Umoette. . . . Kabelo Grondona. . . . Jeyasudha Garbina".

What is the deal with these sites? Why does the Turkish government maintain them?

(And why does nobody ever just leave a damn voicemail?)

Because they’re just scam calls and it’s not really their number. It’s a spoof.

Nobody seems to know. There was one suggestion made in a similar thread a couple of months ago:

Just because they have a “.tr” URL does not mean that the Turkish government maintains, authorizes, permits, or is in any way involved with them. I give you “.io” as a great example of that. The BIOT government is not involved in those either.

But they’re not just .tr but .gov.tr - you’d think not just any shlub can use that.

never mind

When I look them up, a lot of them seem to be (at least based on the summary I can see without clicking on the site), just lists of phone numbers. Don’t know how it gets used, but IME, that’s a pretty good indication that it’s not worth calling back.

What’s been bugging me lately is that nearly every search for a phone number returns, in the top few results, a link to a local news affiliate’s article called “Don’t pick up the phone:’ Robocalls growing in Wisconsin …”. But then google tells me that result doesn’t contain the phone number and asks if it should make sure all results include it.

I don’t know how that one article on that one website gets one of the top spots for just about any phone number, but I really with it would stop.