Loretta Lynn has died at age 90

Gutsy lady, loved by millions. Rest in peace, Loretta.

Another one of those people that I couldn’t believe was 90…

That’s a bummer. Great classy lady with a wonderful voice and strong songs, struggling for the independence of women in a time and genre in which this was hard to do. Here’s probably my favorite song of hers. R.I.P.

Not many singers do songs about women’s issues, especially how pregnancy isn’t always hunky dory.
(The Pill, One’s on the Way)

Her voice will be missed.

Gone are the memories of a coal minors daughter. :cry:

I grew up to my dad playing Loretta, Hank, Patsy and Johnny Cash on the record player. It’s truly the end of an era now that this lovely lady has passed.

she had an amazing life. she was able to pull her family with her through her music career.

interesting family generations. from her oldest brother to her youngest sister was 22 years. she had 2 children before her youngest sister was born.

Sad to hear that, but yeah, she had an amazing life.

I remember Loretta cowriting and singing The Pill. It was controversial at the time.

Loretta overcame childhood poverty and a houseful of kids before she was 20 to become The Queen of Country music.

RIP
Cite The Pill (song) - Wikipedia

Loretta’s sister Crystal Gayle is 19 years younger. Loretta had already married and moved to Oregon when Crystal was born.

and had 2 children!

the generations in the webb family are quite something.

It’s called being poor and having no TV. :rofl:

We were poor but we had love, that’s the one thing my daddy made sure of . . .

Most kids today just don’t get to experience the big family lifestyle where you depend on each other for support and put up and deal with each others shortcomings.

One of my favourites:

This morning on my walk I listened to a podcast of the Oct 5 Fresh Air, which repeated a 2010 interview with Loretta Lynn-- delightful and really interesting. Terry Gross is a superb interviewer who can draw out just about anyone. But Loretta was a woman of few words, and even Terry had a hard time getting more than monosyllabic answers. At one point she asked Loretta about a song she wrote, and Loretta said quietly, “I don’t like to talk about how I write my songs,” to which Terry diplomatically replied, “Fair enough.” :open_mouth:

Give it a listen… [Transcript also included]