Lost 3.17: "Catch-22"

Wha?! Woa!

What can this mean?

-FrL-

I never knew that monks bottled wine nor that they could be fired…

I’m really missing Sawyer’s nicknames. When is the moratorium over?

I backed it up and New Chick definitely said “Desmond” before passing out. Not in a surprised way, either. Plus she apparently had the picture they found with her. So, I guess she was sent to find him–presumably by Penny.

I’m thinking that the jewelry shop lady must be the monk’s mother. The age difference seems pretty big and it’s easier to believe that a monk would have a pic of Dear, Old Mom than an old flame or something.

That guitar isn’t gonna hold a tune worth shit after getting soaked like that. I’m surprised that Charlie didn’t bitch. Instead we have Hurley complaining about no ‘heads-up’ on needing an umbrella.

Do helicopter pilots usually have parachutes? I wonder if they are generally much use, given that if an incident is survivable you would usually just auto-rotate to a hard landing. Perhaps New Chick didn’t expect to make it all the way in–maybe she knows something of the island’s reputation regarding aviation vehicles.

On edit: Oh, yeah. What relevance does the title hold. I didn’t ‘catch’ a catch-22 in the plot, did you?

There was a copy of “Catch-22” in the parachutist’s gear. Except it was in another language.

I was thinking that the Catch-22 refers to Desmond’s situation. He wants to see Penny, but in order to do so, he must sacrifice Charlie. It’s not really the same as Heller’s Catch-22…in fact, it’s kind of just a crappy, lose-lose scenario, but maybe that’s the writers’ interpretation of a Catch-22.

Not in the same sense as the book. “Catch-22 is a term, coined by Joseph Heller in his novel Catch-22, describing a general situation in which an individual has to accomplish two actions, both of which are dependent on the completion of the other.”

I guess he thinks finding Penny is dependant on following his vision which includes Charlie’s death, but Charlie’s death doesn’t seem to depend on finding Penny (Naomi).

I wonder if we are supposed to think that saving Charlie somehow changed Penny into Naomi but that seems silly.

It might have to do with the predestination paradox - Desmond only goes on the mission because he sees flashes of him doing so. But the flashes wouldn’t have occured unless he had gone on the mission. So where did the flashes come from?

one week from Enter 77, supposedly on day 77. this episode ended on supposedly day 87. So next episode unless it’s all at night on day 87 should be back to nickname yumminess.

That works fairly well, but it still seems a bit thin to justify the title. Oh, well. I guess it doesn’t matter, really. It seems like the writers don’t put as much effort into coming up with titles with multiple relevances as they used to. I do miss the days when, in these threads, we deeply discussed the layers of meanings in the titles.

Just an observation.

Desmond talks with the chief monk about the story of Abraham and Issac (where God demanded that Abraham sacrifice his son).

Desmond sees Charlie die in his flashes and (it seems) is prepared to sacrifice Charlie to get to (who he thinks is) Penny. But, at the last minute, he saves Charlie instead.

Now, compare this to something Locke did back in first season. Locke has flashes of the future in which he sees Boone die. But, when he encounters the situation from his flashes, he doesn’t stop Boone and lets him die. He even later says that “Boone was a sacrifice demanded by the Island”.

So, Locke went through with his “sacrifice” but Desmond didn’t. Significant?

More importantly, why are they wasting all the Dharma razors on shaving their chests?

Can I get a summery of what happened the last two minutes or so? My DVR cut the last couple of minutes. We got to the point where Desmond was putting the wine in Penny’s car and got cut just as he was climbing the tree to cut the person down. At least I got the majority of the episode.

Refreh my memory. Back in … what? season 1? 2? when they showed the arctic listening team detecting the magnetic anomoly or whatever it was they detected, wasn’t it Penny that they called?

Desmond cuts down the parachute. Charlie, Hurley and Jin use the parachute to catch the parachutist when Desmond cuts her down. Desmond then shoos the others away and removes her helmet, calling to Penny as he does.

He is surprised to find out that the woman isn’t Penny. (The newcomer is played by Marsha Thompson.) She looks up at him, says “Desmond” in recognition, then passes out.

Cut to Lost logo.

That was the very last scene in season 2 and, yes, they called Penny. They were also speaking Portuguese, which is apparently what the copy of “Catch 22” they found in the backpack was written in.

So when did we go to 10-day weeks? Or is that just how they do it on the island? :wink:

If that accounting is correct, then Sawyer’s lost track of time…

Good episode, but a little slow given the last few.

Of course, anytime we get a Korean ghost story, it’s a plus!

• I thought that was the clock lady in the photo!

• Kate’s body and Charlie’s throat. Sex AND graphic violence in one episode. I’m glad Lost moved to the 10/9 PM hour!

• If I were the Losties, I’d cut that cable. If it is the power supply for the Others, screw 'em. Why let them live in comfort? Take it up a notch. BAM!

That cable goes to an underwater sonar beacon that leads the sub to the island. It hasn’t worked since the discharge.

When did we learn that?

Jin telling the campfire story was adorable!

The parachutist looked like Alex to me, so I was confused for a moment, because I knew she couldn’t be Alex. I was expecting her to be Ruth, the woman Desmond jilted.

E d’Mann, I think the jeweler is the Father Superior’s sister, not mother. I don’t see the “pretty big” age difference you do. They both have white hair.

Mikhail told Sayid. And for those of you that wonder why I took that at face value rather than assume Mikhail is a liar (spoilered because it was mentioned in the podcast)…The producers said that Mikhail was telling the truth about everything except being a former member of DHARMA. He had no reason to lie about the cable.

I’m not sure how you could make that mistake. The parachutist was black (OK half, but in the same category as Obama or Halle Berry) Alex is not. I instantly reconized the new character Naomi who is played by the English actress that was in the show Las Vegas for a while. If you have kids you might also recognize her as Eddie Murphy’s wife in Haunted Mansion. Can’t have too many hot babes on the island.

I agree, I instantly assumed it was his sister. The ages seemed about right. I can’t seem to find Andrew Connolly’s birthdate anywhere so I can’t be sure. I think it will be one of those little things they throw in there for no good reason and it will never come up again.

I just remembered something else about this episode. When Charlie found his guitar it was in a hard case which had protected it during the crash, then he goes trudging across the jungle that is known to have instant freakish rains and he doesn’t have it in a case and he doesn’t even try to cover it up. I am by no means a musician but I have dabbled in guitar and am now trying to learn mandolin and if I were trapped on an island with no way to get my instrument repaired I don’t think I’d be trudging around in the rain with it.
In other news I can’t decide which I like better, scruffy Desmond or clean-shaven Desmond … may I have one of each, please? Mmm … Desmond sandwich.

Had Ruth been seen before or was that her first appearance? I’m terrible at keeping up with this stuff these days.