Lost 3.5: The Cost of Living

I’m assuming that they’ve been there a long time and some of the controls may be unusable.

Well, I had my doubts about that part. It was possible that they were expecting a plane, just not a crash. But I think this week makes it pretty clear that’s not the case.

I have nothing substantial to add, so I’ll just make snarky comments anyway.

They are SOOOO screwing with Jack.

I think Benry was talking out of his butt about the god thing. I still think the plane was rerouted 1000 miles over the island for a reason other than fate. That seems like a long way for fate to go to me.

So Cerberus is mechanical? Sure sounds like it. Interesting thoughts how the person it’s attacking? sees it based on their world view. Are we sure when Locke asked Eko what he saw if he was talking about Cerberus or something else?

As far as the two new red shirts go, at least one is pleasant to look at if she’d stop talking. God that was irritating.

Hrumph. They kill off Eko and give us Botox gal [Nikki] and Boy-band guy [Paolo] instead?? Feh.

Still, I’m happy to finally be caught up so I can watch these at air time again. whee! Sad about Eko being gone (one of the most watchable actors on the show, to be sure), but then again, with all the repetition they did in this episode, it seems like they had no real idea what to do with him beyond the “anti-Locke” thing.

I already don’t like Nikki and Paolo though. Not sure why; I guess I fear change.

Why did Juliet say “Goodbye, Jack” at Colleen’s funeral? She didn’t go anywhere.

I thought it was simply meant, “nice chatting with you, but gotta do funeral duty now… good bye, Jack.”

Maybe she did go somewhere and the Juliet talking to him later was a robotic replacement!

Ok, so that’s too weird, even for this show.

Predictions for next week’s cliffhanger? Anyone?

I didn’t watch the trailer so I’m totally guessing, but I would think the operation would happen one way or another?

And perhaps they meet Pirate Pete?

And there will be fish biscuits.

Kate agreed with Locke when he said she saw him getting pulled into the ground by a cloud of black smoke. Locke later said what he saw in there was ‘beautiful.’ When Eko first stared down the cloud there were glimpses of his memories. I’m assuming this is how Jack saw his father and Kate saw her horse.

Not really. He was angry. We wasn’t getting into the hatch and Boone the boy wonder had traipsed off to sidekick heaven. It could easily be said that Locke was in a far different state of mind when the TCM tried to drag him into the pit of despair.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. I think that’s happened to me at least twice.

And while we’re discussing the evil that is second hand smoke, is it me or does it need bodies to fully take shape. Jack’s dad has vanished only to creep about the island. Now the body of Eko’s bunnyman vanished only to reappear in an upright position.

Wonder where it found the horse corpse. Maybe there was a bottle of glue laying about.

:eek: That never occurred to me!

Maybe all the hallucinations are actually from the smoke cloud?

Don’t know where the hell you get that from. There was NOTHING mechanical about it.

That’s what I’ve thought from the start also. They’ve all seen things from their pasts so maybe the past is catching up with them, so to speak? I wonder what would have happened if Ecko had actually asked for forgiveness? Would he have been spared?

Soooo, if the Others didn’t cause the plane to crash and/or know it would happen then how does Ben explain the fact that they know all about the Losties and have “files” on them?

I think the Smoke Monster has saved Lost from jumping the shark. For now. Barely.

Fair enough, how would you describe the sounds it made?

Along with what Harborwolf said, Locke saw the smoke monster twice. The first time, it was still TCM - at that point we had only seen it disrupt trees, it wasn’t smoke yet. And we (the viewers) only saw Locke’s face, not the monster itself. That’s when Locke said he looked into (and I paraphrase) “the eye of The Island.”

Later when the group was being chased by the TCM/Smoke Monster, he refused to run from it saying it wouldn’t hurt him. That was when the (black and visible) Smoke Monster grabbed him and tried to pull him below ground, and Kate fought it off despite Locke’s protests.

Dunno what it all means, but I for one am happy to see the TCM/SM/WTF back once more!

Invested=cloned?

As totally unrelated to how it moved and acted?

Ok. What changed about Locke between the two encounters? Did he veer towards evil? Why was it beautiful the first time he saw it and then murderous the next? He rescued Eko from the polar bear cave to make up for getting Boone killed - but Eko died anyway. What does this mean for Locke?

This is going to drive me nuts.

All I’m saying is that the sounds that were going on while it was slapping Eko all over the place sounded pretty odd and mechanical to me. Obviously you disagree.

What does TCM stand for? (I didn’t watch season 1 and so I wasn’t in these threads when you established the early terminology…)