Lost 3.5: The Cost of Living

Nice misdirection, I heard that someone would die and figured it would be crewman newman, but then they kill off one of the best and quite possibly my favorite character. (Noooo! not Eko :frowning: :eek: :frowning: )

Ok, so the nanoparticle smoke can take physical form (not just images).

Which station was cyclops at?

Not sure the whole Juliette thing isn’t some big test. (If the others have access to the outside world, why not use it? maybe it is only one way)

Brian

The two “redshirts” are Nikki and Paulo according to closed captioning.

I knew those other screens in the Pearl(?) hatch were for watching other hatches…uhm…didn’t Locke know too? Didn’t he see Michael over in Swan and it made him go apeshit and not want to push the buttons anymore? Was I wooshed?

What is all this talk about the glass eye, now? Essplain?

Was that Eko’s cross or Yemi’s?

What in the living fuck IS that smoke monster anyway?

Flame, by process of elimination. Possibly could’ve been Arrow or Staff, as they’re presumably abandoned now, but they have been found and occupied before.

I absolutely* love *how it was the random redshirt characters who asked about the TV screens.

Also loved hearing one say to the other “His dead brother’s in that plane”.

They’re having a tough time keeping up too, so I feel better. :slight_smile:
Also, note that Locke said he saw a beautiful white light (I assume he meant when he confronted the monster), whereas Eko said that’s not what he saw. Eko = hell, Locke = heaven, with the smoke beast as the angel of death?

Okay, the smoke monster was just stupid.

I’m surprised they killed off Eko: I mean, he’s one of the few minorities on the show and they already had Michael and Waaaalt sail off into the sunset. It was kind of refreshing to see a strong and interesting African-American male lead. Sigh.

No, he saw Jack back in the original hatch.

Oh, did anyone else get a little Walt flashback when the little kid shushed Eko?

Locke said what he saw was white (or was it bright?). Does this tie into his giving Walt that backgammon lesson, “one side is light, one side is dark”?

On Juliette’s video: we’ve seen enough tension between Juliette and Benry that maybe her slideshow is the truth. But my money is it’s another manipulation - an attempt to just get Jack to the operating table, trusting his “gotta save’em” attitude will win out and he wouldn’t purposefully kill Benry. If Benry pushes the “I will take you home” button at least once more, I can see how this would work.

I hadn’t thought of this! An answer! They didn’t arrange to bring the Lostaways to the island (unless it’s more double-talk on Benry’s part).

The glass eye was in the poorhouse hatch found by the tailies, I think.

The cross was Yemi’s. Eko took it off of him when he found the body.

Bloody inconsiderate smoke monster. They brought the two red shirts along for a reason damnit. Why even have them if the monsters aren’t going to play by the rules.

I still don’t see how Juliette and the ex look alike except for the blondness. And I think it’s a real shame that none of the cards had any Bob Dylan lyrics on them.

Why even wear the white toga shirts if there isn’t going to be the traditional post funeral wet t-shirt contest?

I loved the enthusiasm Locke showed for finding the creepy cyclops dude. I know that’d be the hatch I’d be looking to find next.

Ok so…was Locke just being facetious when he was all “boy do I feel stupid!” when the redshirt (Nikki) said “hey guys don’t these screens all watch other hatches?”

“Johnny’s in the basement, mixing up the medicine.”

What they see of the smoke monster could be based on something mental.

When Locke first saw Smokey the TCM, he was all happy from rejoining the ranks of the ambulatory. Thusly he sees it as a beautiful white light.

Eko however seems to have a darker world view, so he’s sees the dark cloud. Seems to me that Eko was almost expecting to be punished for what he said to his “brother.”

Maybe not. He may have just figured that the screens were rigged to show his hatch and only his hatch.

No, I think it just hadn’t occurred to him that maybe some of those blank screens would connect to other hatches. Of course, he needed Sayid’s mad rewiring skillz to see anything, so it’s not like the realization would have helped him the first time he was there anyway.

I just wish I could figure out where they’re going with the good cop / bad cop stuff with Jack.

That’s forgetting the fact that Locke saw a black smoke monster when it almost pulled him into the ground and was dissuaded by Kate throwing dynamite at it.

That’s odd, isn’t it? I mean why have multiple monitors, and have to hard wire the feeds every time. How about off and on buttons–or a switchbox–or both?

I thought this was already established. Ben, Juliet, and the other people in the village seemed surprised by the plane crash in the opening scene of the season premiere. Ben giving his orders seemed to be reacting to an unexpected event rather than carrying out a plan.

Disagree totally. It was the first interesting thing to happen this season.