Lost 5.6 "316"

Help me remember. The last time I remember seeing Hurley, he was in jail. How’d he get out?

I saw your comment too… but ZipperJJ also added in the part that Charlie probably told him to bring his guitar too.

I think the plane was so empty because Hurley bought up a lot of extra seats. and they didn’t show us how he got out of jail or why/how Said was there.

I’m the one who kinda jokingly called Kate a slut - and only because I really like the Sawyer character and think he should get the girl, not Jack. (shallow commentary for the week).

Since I missed the beginning of the show, did Daniel’s mother show any concern for him? any recognition of Desmond?

I know Hurley said something about buying 78 seats on the plane, and the stewardess gave him grief over that. The O6 (et al) were in first class, but when they looked behind the curtain, the plane looked pretty full. Did Hurley’s “life-saving” plan succeed, or was he overridden by the the plane’s authority? It’s pretty inconsequential to the plot, but I’m just trying to understand what happened there.

I think it’s pretty apparent there wasn’t a crash this time, but they were zapped to the island. Perhaps that’s what happened the first time around, with Oceanic 815… the main players were zapped safely to the ground, but the plane also broke up and crashed, leaving other survivors and many more killed. So, the main cast just obviously assumed they survived the wreck? Does that make sense?

Presumably that’s one of the (many) stories being left for next week’s episode…note the posts at the top of the thread that described this and the next episode as a “two-parter” that the producers had trouble deciding on the order for.

Not really… she just heard Desmond out, with a sort of smug look on here face. Then she told him the island wasn’t done with him yet, to which he promptly said, “LIKE BLOODY HELL, IT’S NOT!” then stormed out, slamming the door. Somewhere in there he warned Jack that going back was pure stupidity.

It also seemed, in all his rage, he dodged getting splattered by that pendulum with blind luck.

I assume Ben’s lawyer got Hurley out of stir. He explained that they’d determined the guy was killed before he escaped and the case was going to be dismissed the next morning.

To be honest you posted #44 at the same time i was composing post #45. I should have gone back and edited my post to acknowledge you but I was too lazy - my bad.

And, I hate you.

(j/k) :wink:

I thought Hurley getting out of jail was a done thing and there wasn’t really much else to reveal? Ben’s lawyer got it sorted out and Ben gets lots of things “done” that don’t really require explanation.

I too am confused about the number of passengers on the plane. It sort of looked like the gang was in 1st class but it also seemed like the plane was small and where they were sitting was the only section. But I, too, saw what looked like a mess of people behind the curtain while Jack was waiting for Lupidas.

CrazyCatLady asked this same question.

“You have seen this show before, right?” I asked her. Hell, I was shocked that Jack asked Kate about Aaron, and that they felt the need to give her a reason not to talk about it (that is, it was too upsetting). In earlier episodes she would have just said, “It’s complicated,” and Jack would have accepted this as a complete and satisfying answer.

I almost get the gut feeling that Widmore is behind getting them back to the island also. Maybe he hitched a ride on the plane also?
He did direct Desmond to the location of Daniel’s mother which raised Ben’s eyebrows in a “how did Widmore know where she was” sort of way.
And Frank originally was hired by and worked for Widmore.
And it is possible Widmore convinced Hurley to go back since nobody else seemed to have contact with him.
And Widmore does have enough power also to get Sayid captured and put on the plane.
Just a wild-assed-guess.

Christ, so now, not only do characters not ask or answer obvious questions, but they even refuse as long as possible to read notes which could potentially contain game-changing information…

I’ll be honest; I thought this was a pretty shitty episode, starting right off with the ridiculous “science lecture” from Ms. Hawking, and never really letting up. Almost the only two moments I enjoyed in the entire thing were Hurley’s plan to buy extra seats, and the little smile that appears on Jin’s face at the end. The rest, I could’ve done without. Hopefully, next week’s will be a great improvement.

I should clarify: this makes it sound like my concern is that the science wasn’t real science, which isn’t the problem at all. It’s just that most of the episode seemed almost to be a pastiche of the worst Lost tropes (contrived mechanics, characters acting nothing like human beings, cheesy or over-expository dialogue, etc.); it just predictably went through the motions necessary to fill time without actually delivering anything entertaining or much in the way of information.

Also, in addition to the note thing, another bit I remembered: “If you want me to come, you’ll never ask me about Aaron”. Yeah. This isn’t a clever way of excusing this running flaw of inartfully developed suspense…

I liked the “Oh, you’ve got to be shitting me” look on Sayid’s face when Ben walked by. This after one Oceanic survivor after another walks on board.

I’m wondering the 06 didn’t end up in the past at all. Maybe the islanders have been spending the past several years in relative comfort living at the former Dharma compound, whiling away their idol time restoring the VW at the Dharma motor pool.

What makes you say the O6 didn’t end up in the past?

It seems inconceivable that the islanders could just knock on the Dharma compound’s front door and ask to come live with them, considering they’re always under siege from The Others. “Just blending in” seems equally unlikely since it’s a relatively small community.

Yup, it’s definitely Ajira Airways. Any similarity between the words is only a coincidence.

Which should be ignored!

Yeah. The relevant etymology is that “ajira” is the Hindi word for “island”. (Ajira Airways clearly being set up as an Indian entity, using faux-Devanagari lettering and a tiger emblem and so forth. [I wonder if there’s any connection between that and the Dharma Initiative? Probably not…])

The water bottle the time tripping losties found in the canoe they stole was from Ajira Airways