Lost 5.6 "316"

Thread rules:

From the on-line description for tonight’s episode:

The members of Oceanic 6 discover how to get back to the island, but not all of them want to return.

Some useful Café Society links are given below:

Thread index for Season 1 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread index for Season 2 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread index for Season 3 episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread index for Season 4 episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread index for Season 5 episodes 1-2 3 4 5

The Official Lost Jargon Thread

Official “Lost” Questions ThreadSeason 1, Season 2, Season 3

Here are some interesting external links:

The Tail Section: Excellent site for still frame photos of key scenes, along with some good analysis. But… beware of spoilers!

Sledgeweb’s Lost… Stuff: Pretty good site, but again beware of spoilers. I use it mainly for the Timeline section, which is an incredibly detailed breakdown of “how long since…?” for almost anything you can think of (pre- and post-plane crash).

Door Map from Episode 2.17. A nicely cleaned up version of the diagram Locke saw while pinned under the lockdown doors. No spoilers.

Lostpedia: The wikipedia of Lost information. Quite a comprehensive site, but beware of spoilers!

ThEmIsFiTiShErE: The Misfit offers his whacky commentary on “Lost”. Is he a nut-case or a clever insider? Careful, though, possible spoilers.

No, I don’t know what the title means either. Let the speculation begin!

It’s a riff on John 3:16, “For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Obviously, this is the episode where Locke dies. (I’m assuming that’s not a spoiler).

Didn’t Locke say a few times stuff along the lines of “You just have to believe/trust me”?

That’s my theory.

Maybe 316 is the flight number of that Indian Airline (water bottles in dug-out) they have to be on to get back to the island?

Maybe the people in the dug-out were new “Lostie’s” from flight 316?

MtM

I had thought it was a riff on John 3:16 as well (heh, John).

These next two episodes (this week and next) ought to be very interesting. In the official podcast, Damon and Carlton said that the two eps are tied together in some way, and they had to decide which episode to show first. Ultimately they felt 316 was the more fitting ep to begin with. I’m guessing the two eps follow the same events from two different perspectives. But I could be way off… :stuck_out_tongue:

John 3:16, eh? I thought 316 would be the compass bearing one needs to follow in order to access the island now that it’s been “moved”. It was 325 before, IIRC.

I wonder if what Desmond has to do at Hawking’s place is different from what the rest have to do…

He is “special”, after all.

I wouldn’t put it past the writers to make “316” mean all of those things - and more - all at once.

Yes. I’ll bet there’s at least a double meaning.

Just re-watching last week’s episode’s replay at 8 PM EST, waiting for the main event to come on.

When Jin asked why Locke was going to bring Sun back to the island, Locke says, “Because she was never supposed to have left”.

Well, actually, I’d beg to differ with that statement. She was pregnant with Ji Yeon, conceived on the island, and that’s a one-way ticket to a shallow grave, from all we’ve seen before. She had to leave, else she wouldn’t survive. Of course, now that the baby’s out, she certainly can come back.

What did that slip of paper say?

Heh… “The Lamppost”. Narnia reference, anyone?

Jack (about Ben): “Is he telling the truth?”
Ms. Hawking: “Probably not.”

niiiiiiiice…

So is Sun planning on going back without her baby? And if not, how’s she going to fetch Ji Yeon quickly?

Well, now we know what 316 is. Is it going to be another plane crash? Do they have to cause the plane to crash? Do they have to bail out? I guess Locke-in-the-casket will be substituting for Christian-Shepard-in-the-casket, in the recreating of the “original conditions” that brought them to the island in the first place.

Dude – I nailed it. Locke is the proxy for Christian Shepherd – Hawking just said it. (I wrote the last post before the commercial break ended… I swear!)

Uh oh. Time for Ben to get his revenge?

Ben, telling a resurrection story. Foreshadowing for Locke?

Ben – “Promise to an old friend of mine”. Asshole’s off to try to kill Penny! …now that he knows Desmond’s around…

If Ben killed Penny, I will be cheering for Desmond’s revenge forever.

Wow, what happened to Aaron? And since he’s one of the O6, one would think he’s supposed to go back, too.

Wow, Ben’s all beaten up. Wonder if Desmond kicked his ass, or if he attacked Penny and his bruises were from her trying to defend herself? If he’s killed her, then Ben seriously needs to die.

Was that Sayid’s relative?

So Sayid’s on the plane in custody? Just like original Kate? Ha! The island’s making him come back?

Why would Sun go back to the island (which is pretty much a one-way trip, as far as she knows) without her child?

Hurley buying up all the other seats… keeping the other would-be travellers safe? Sweet. Would the airline actually let him do that? Well, guess they get their own private plane, save for one marshall, perhaps? (and the flight crew).

I thought Ben couldn’t go back to the island.

“What’s going to happen to the other people on this plane?”
Ben: “Who cares?”
sheesh!

My DVR arbitrarily decided to stop recording this evening. Anyone know how long before you can watch the episode on ABC online?