Lost 4.04: "Eggtown"

Thread rules:

OK, things are really getting interesting. Sayid did a hostage exchange in order to win a free helicopter ride to “the freighter”. Unfortunately, he lost Kate to Locke’s group as well. I wonder if we’ll get to see more of Sayid this episode, or if the writers will pull one of their favorite tricks-- take us to a tantalizing point in one episode, only to not come back to it for a few more eps.

If anyone is interested, here is a deleted scene from “The Economist”, concerning how Sayid and his group gets through the Sonar Security Fence. I wouldn’t consider it a spoiler in any sense, just some added info about one of our newly arrived characters.

From the preview on Lostpedia for this episode:

** “Eggtown” **: Kate’s need to get information out of the hostage may jeopardize her standing with Locke – as well as with Sawyer.

Some useful Café Society links are given below:

Thread index for Season 1 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread index for Season 2 Episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread index for Season 3 episodes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread index for Season 4 episodes: 1 2 3

The Official Lost Jargon Thread

Official “Lost” Questions ThreadSeason 1, Season 2, Season 3

Here are some interesting external links:

The Lost Report: A very well written summary of the most current episode often containing interesting insights. I don’t think you’ll find spoilers.

The Tail Section: Excellent site for still frame photos of key scenes, along with some good analysis. But… beware of spoilers!

Sledgeweb’s Lost… Stuff: Pretty good site, but again beware of spoilers. I use it mainly for the Timeline section, which is an incredibly detailed breakdown of “how long since…?” for almost anything you can think of (pre- and post-plane crash).

Door Map from Episode 2.17. A nicely cleaned up version of the diagram Locke saw while pinned under the lockdown doors. No spoilers.

Lostpedia: The wikipedia of Lost information. Quite a comprehensive site, but beware of spoilers!

ThEmIsFiTiShErE: The Misfit offers his whacky commentary on “Lost”. Is he a nut-case or a clever insider? Careful, though, possible spoilers.

Waiting for tonight’s episode, I wanted to look at the last batch of questions from the final Trion thread and ask if some of them will ever be answered.

Here are ones that really perplex me.

1. Who are/were Adam and Eve?
  2. What’s the deal with the black and white rocks that were found with Adam and Eve?

We haven’t had a mention of these two at all since season one.

1. How did The Black Rock (the ship) get so far inland?

I suspect I know the answer, but I hope the Black Rock is not dropped.

1. What did Desmond inject himself with?

The formula has been largely ignored since the Ben storyline began. I thought we’d get more from that. Am I forgetting something?

1. What is the cause of the whispering?

We are getting a lot of piecemeal info on this, but I still don’t think we have a great idea of who the true “others” are. Jacob and Richard still hold a lot of mystery.

1. What is the significance of the foot?

Big Atlantean statue with three toes. No later mention.

1. Why couldn’t Desmond sail away and why wouldn’t Michael be able to return without the proper coordinates for rescue?

This one was actually brought up of sorts in the last episode.

1. Was Libby working for the Dharma Project/the Others?

I’ve read that we will get more Libby backstory. I still believe she had something to do with the disappearance of the Australian flight attendent (who later showed up with Stockholm Syndrome) when the tailies were heading across the island.
There are many more questions to be answered. So many mysteries!

I think they represent the two primal forces locked in combat over the island - Jacob and whatever entity is behind the Boaties.

A word about the questions thread. It was discontinued due to general lack of interest, but I have not forgotten it.

However, I do think the days of simple questions and answers are past us. The information we have doesn’t fit well into that format. Some stuff is given to us in dribs and drabs and other mysteries are hinted at while seeming to point to answers to existing mysteries.

Plus, frankly, things were getting a bit nitpicky. No, we don’t know for 100% certain the answers to some things but reasonable people can pretty much figure those things out and I don’t think we should expect this show to spoon feed us the answers. I’m as much to blame on this point as anyone else.

But it might be worthwhile to revisit it. Perhaps sometime next season I could take the existing list and boil it down to the the important mysteries that have yet to be resolved. Then we can pick over things in preparation for the final season when all the answers will be in.

Well, some of the answers, anyway. :wink:

I saw a commercial for this week’s episode, and it was slightly longer than last week’s “Next week on Lost” and I’m excited - I think we’re going to see a lot of stuff about the post-island situation.

Anyone want to speculate about what “Eggtown” means? If it’s a spoiler, put it in a spoiler box, but if it’s pure speculation, no need to. I have no idea what it means, and can’t even offer a guess.

There is an interview with Lindelof and Cuse over on Entertainment Weekly where they mention a few questions in passing. They do mention “Adam” and “Eve” and say that we will eventually get the answers about them, but not this season.

One interesting comment they make is that the writer’s strike delayed them enough that they can actually respond to audience feedback and confusion this season. As an example they talk about the bracelet that Elsa was wearing and how many people thought it was connected to the one Naomi was wearing. They say…

This is what I thought was the most interesting quote from the interview. (Spoilering since it mentions a key plot point for the fifth episode.)

We’re not going to tell you that we’re against bending the time/space continuum. We are very for it. Carlton and I are PRO time-space continuum bending! But we’re ANTI-paradox. Paradox creates issues. … So when we start having those conversations at Lost, we go, ‘‘This show is already confusing enough as it is.’’ To actually have characters traveling through time has to be handled very deftly. For example, the fifth episode of the season [airing next week] deals with time travel and operates in different time periods. It was a tough story to break. But we adhere to our rule: no paradox.

The other interesting thing is that they discuss some of what is and is not canon to the show. They say that the mobisodes and the Orchid Station orientation video are both in canon but that the “Find 815” ARG and the upcoming Lost video game are not.

I would like middleman’s questions answered. I also want further info on Jacob, and I want to know what’s up with Michael and if we will see Walt again as well.

I doubt that I will get what I want any time soon, though.

That Entertainment Weekly interview was great. It really put me at ease a bit about the long range plans. I’d classify it as mild spoilers. More clarification than anything else.

I’m wondering if “Eggtown” should be read as “Human Ovum Town”, and has something to do with the fertility experiments.

Wow…that is one ugly shirt Kate had on.

Off the island, Jack has become what he despises most: a perjurist.

Later, we’ll learn that Sawyer has fallen to plagiarism.

Grandson?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

My guess: The Oceanic 6 (of which we know 4,) took Aaron with them when they got off the island, and Kate pretended it was her baby (seeing as no one who knew her back home had seen her in months, she could easily fake a pregnancy and birth.)

So…does that mean Kate was the only woman who got off the island? I can’t imagine she’d want to claim Aaron was hers if another woman could (and certainly wouldn’t if Claire got off.) And if Aaron did come with her, does he count as one of the 6?

Totally called it…but then, I don’t think we were supposed to be surprised.

You’re right!

I missed the last word out of Kate’s mouth… sounded like “Earth”… what was the name?

Well, I was. I saw a blonde moppet, thought it was supposed to be Sawyer’s son, and then…Aaron? I hate this show…quit with the damn new mysteries and solve the old ones first!

And Locke is getting to be one sadistic bastard. That’s just cruel, to make Miles bite down on a live grenade (unless it’s like the gun, and not loaded.)

But bouv, didn’t Desmond tell Charlie he saw Claire and Aaron getting on a helicopter and getting rescued, but in order for that to happen, Charlie had to die? So what happened to Claire?

Aaron - like bouv called. By the way, I am apparently more easily surprised than you.

I don’t like this twist, but we can’t be 100% sure it is the same Aaron…

I thought it would be Aaron, but I rewound it twice and it sounded like she said “Eric.”