Love means eating your beloved's comfort food

My wife has a sore throat.

While I am always a good husband, it is in times of ill health and other calamities that I become a super husband. I am supportive and nurturing in the appropriate measure. I am Fantastic Mr. Fox. (I do not mean to toot my own horn, here. I’m relating things my wife has said. I report, you decide.)

Tonight, I made dinner. This is not unusual, mind you. I make my share of dinners. But when my wife is sick, I spring into action. “What would you like for dinner, sweetie?”

“Mmmm. Chicken rice casserole.”

I do not hesitate, although I am secretly disappointed. Chicken rice casserole was created by my wife’s mother back when my wife was a wee lass. It has positive connotations and good vibrations.

It also has little by way of flavor.

Here is the recipe:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans skim milk (that is, milk measured in the emptied soup cans)
2 cans instant rice (ditto)
1 can chicken
1 can sliced water chestnuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine. Stir. Cook over medium heat until rice is done and casserole is thickened. Serve.

If tapioca were a main course, this would be it.

I don’t mind making this recipe. It’s easy. But of course it makes a lot of casserole. So this is what I end up having for dinner: a bowl of chunky, ecru casserole.

It doesn’t taste good. It doesn’t taste bad. It needs some Tabasco, which I can add to my own bowl.

The smile on my wife’s face makes it extra tasty.

Might be a lot of sodium, but you are a sweetheart! :cool:

I wonder if she would let you substitute a can of Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup instead of the cream of mushroom?

My honey’s comfort food is: toasted PB & J’s. Except he coats the bread with butter first. Yuk.

Hon digs shit on a shingle. I won’t make it. Looking at it is damn-near un-doable. Sorry…I’m a bad wife.

I really don’t want to know what the nutritional info on this is. It can’t be good.

Probably, if I weren’t making it for her when she’s sick. It’s back to the basics time during sickness, experimentation with the recipe time when she’s in health. I’ve mixed in parmesan cheese before, and mushrooms, and stone-ground mustard. The cheese and mushrooms worked well, the mustard was just okay.

(Actually, we rarely have this meal when she’s feeling well, because I got bored with it early on, tinkering or no tinkering. Instant rice? Eesh.)

My S.O.'s comfort food is Chinese turnip cake. It tastes like a fart. I just can’t bring myself to eat it. Out of kindness, though, I don’t complain that he smells like fart, or the whole house smells like fart, or even that the cat’s fur smells like fart, after cooking the turnip cake.

Turnip cake? Are you shitting me?

OMG! Turnip Cake…I consider myself quite the gourmand yet I have never heard of such a dish. gag

Turnip Cake

Siberia

Turnip and Cake are two words that should NEVER be used like this!!

And though I love Mr Vena, there is no way I’m eating stewed barley. Ick

actually, Stoeffer’s makes a tasty frozen, boil-in-bag creamed chipped beef. you can buy some and keep it in the freezer indef, then be a wonderful wife when occasion demands.

What the hell is a can of chicken?

Whenever I get sick I want frozen pizza.

So I guess my comfort food would be pizza.
I guess I’m just easy.

I need to fix you up with my daughter, CRorex. She’s ever so much prettier than those other baboons you hang around with all day.

It’s a lot like a can of tuna, but a) a bigger can, and b) full of chicken white meat, not tuna.

I have to add that love also means cleaning up the kitchen after the boyfriend makes me food to make me feel better.

How someone can create such havoc in a kitchen is beyond me.

[sub]I loved “Fantastic Mr. Fox”. I still have my copy![/sub]

I like good ol’ Macaroni & Cheese. And when I have the flu, the only thing that stays down are Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. Damn, I love those things.

When I have a headcold, I MUST have some kind of spicy soup, like Chinese hot and sour soup. It unclogs the passageways better than 4 Way nasal spray. I can even taste it a little, too.

My SO really likes oatmeal. Admittedly, she cooks it better than my Mom did (cold, grey, and slimy), but I gotta remember to keep a smile on my face rather than a puke face.

So on with the brown sugar, dried currants, butter, cinnamon, apricots and so forth. I’ve learned that if you can get at least 50% other-than-oatmeal in your bowl, it really isn’t that bad.

Gotta say that she grins at my administrations, and spoons the real oatmeal right up!

My guy’s comfort food is menudo…that south of the border soup containing tripe and animal lips and such? Ugh. But…he doesn’t like MY comfort food, either: Circus Peanuts and Pork Rinds. (Not at the same time, of course!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Circus Peanuts?

urp

runs to bathroom