Low carbers: what are your go-to meals?

But if you’re watching sodium too, remember that cottage cheese is super high in sodium. And don’t even try low sodium cottage cheese - it’s gross!

Scrambled eggs with hot sauce, wrapped in a cabbage leaf for on the run breakfast. Hardboiled eggs. At dinner, a cabbage salad with tuna and hot sauce dressing.

Yes, I like spicy food.

Breakstone’s lower sodium cottage cheese is quite tasty.

Another low-carb snack/side is tomato slices and diced mozarella with oil and vinegar dressing. You could add basil leaves but I’m not a fan.

I do a lot of large salads (lettuce, shredded red cabbage, cucumber, sliced zucchini, all colors of bell peppers, sliced radishes, cauliflower florets, cucumber, carrot shreds, celery…the more colors/variety the better) with lean protein (today’s was half a can of tuna; other days it might be roasted chicken or grilled fish).

Cut up vegetables (again, go for variety. In addition to cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini, I’ve sometimes used jicama or rutabega, snap peas, sliced summer squashes like pattypan) with hummus. If you buy pre-made hummus, check the nutrition info. I find that it varies tremendously brand to brand.

Like Drain Bead, I sometimes make a multi-serving portion of eggs with vegetables and Laughing Cow cheese—I just do a big pan of scrambled and take individual portions each day.

For actual grain-based carbs, I do eat AkMak crackers, with either natural peanut butter, cottage cheese (I second peedin’s positive review of Breakstone, as does my picky 9-year-old daughter), or other lowfat cheese. I also will eat high-fiber cereals, like Shredded Wheat and Bran squares.

I don’t worry about refrigeration for most of these things, even the eggs. An insulated pack does just fine for me, since I am always eating them within a few hours anyhow.

I second both of these - although I can’t imagine not being a fan of basil! :eek:

One of the things I realized when I went low carb, is how often I want to eat when I’m really not hungry at all. I knew this, because it would seem that low carb food was not appealing, but I still felt ‘hungry’. So I knew that I was not really hungry at all - if I was really ‘hungry’, I wouldn’t be so picky, lol! I was just craving my addiction to carbs. I wanted to eat because I was bored or restless and eating was just something pleasurable to do! I found that keeping cheese chunks or even bacon or cottage cheese or hard boiled eggs readily available was a good way to get past that ‘I’m bored therefore I’m hungry!’ phase…

Cool I’ll have to try the low sodium Breakstone! I had the low sodium grocery store generic and it was not edible. I was even afraid to use it in recipes without adding some salt.

Goddamn, I have to pray I never get diabetes. I love pasta and Asian food, which is absolutely not low-carb. I guess I have to exercise more (i.e. at all), and/or hope that I follow in the footsteps, health-wise, of most Italian and Japanese people…

My nutritionist said I should have 45-60 g carb per meal. Under 20 g for snacks (I rarely snack though). Lunch/dinner go-tos are chicken & broccoli, tomatoes & cottage cheese, tuna salad on extra fiber bread, peanut butter on extra fiber bread, sliced turkey on extra fiber bread. LaChoy Beef Chow Mein (I know, yuk. But it’s low carb, high fiber, quick to prepare and I like it). Steak with mushrooms and half of a baked potato. Homemade bean soup (kind of high carb but also very high fiber) or hot & sour soup. Since weight loss is also a goal I keep a keen eye on the fat content of what I eat as well as carbs.

Breakfast: Mainly oranges. Cantaloupe, strawberries, whatever, when in season. Every couple of weeks I allow myself a bag of pretzels or Fritos instead.

Treats: Snack-pack sugar-free pudding. Weight watchers fudgesicles. Small amounts of full-sugar candy. Can’t keep regular candy in the house though. If I can work those into my total meal carbs, I allow it. I’ve lost 65 pounds in the past two years.

Some people are insulin resistant and some aren’t. I’m not diabetic but I might as well be, so I have to eat like a diabetic would (actually maybe more strictly than a diabetic because I do not take insulin).

Some people’s metabolisms react much better to low calorie and pasta, rice and potatoes are a good fit for low calorie.

If you had to make the choice between eating spaghetti or weighing 300 lbs, you’d forget about carbs pretty fast :slight_smile:

I agree with everybody about the advance prep. It let’s you eat healthy, save lots of money and see ahead where/how to shake things up so you don’t get bored with the same old foods. It also does away with the occasional Oh My God I’m starving I have to eat something NOW where you can blow your diet big time.

I’m not a big eater but I was a bad eater; fried chicken, pizza, french fries, battered shrimp etc. When I went on a diet I suddenly found myself ravenous so I ate off-and-on all the time, (it seemed like,) but it was salads, mostly. I made a tub a couple times a week and considered it my free food. (Eaten with low/fat, low/sugar etc. dressing.)

I ate one carb per meal, at least, to help feel full. (If I had pasta, then no “garlic bread.” If a roll, then no potato. [Found out sweet potatoes are better than white.]) I had to eat a little more protein than recommended to feel full longer. (Don’t want panche’s prob with that!) I learned how to make Fake everything such as fried country ham: Buy the low-sodium ham slices, trim off all the fat, cut up and cook in a cast-iron skillet adding a bit of water all along. It makes a red gravy glaze that looks great and the ham is so tender. Every night I had a snack before bed, usually microwave popcorn.

I had tested at almost 300 but lost 70 lbs in around a year and haven’t had to use medication or insulin yet. But that’s not to say it won’t happen; sometimes no matter what you do, the body mutinies and you have to just deal and go on. It’s upsetting when some people say Soandso beat suchandsuch because they have will power. Nope, they may have good luck. But doing what’s necessary can sure stave off the less desirable, hopefully for a long time, and I wish you cheer Happy eating and hold that line! :smiley:

Not to get too personal… but was 300 your weight or your fasting blood sugar reading?

seaweed snacks, avaialble at asian stores.

Frozen wakame salad is super tasty and super easy.

Dried seaweed snack.

I made my own nori snacks from the recipewith this NPR story. Very yummy!

Eggs and fish. Other meats, but they usually aren’t as convenient. You can carry hard boiled eggs and canned tuna or salmon anywhere and just eat them with some salt and pepper.

Chicken and potatoes. Fancy huh?

There’s a no name brand of chicken burger patties that sells for about 8-9$ for 6 142g patties. 24 grams of protein, 10 grams of fat and 0 grams of carb each for a total of about 180 calories each (about 150 if you take into account the high caloric cost of digesting protein). Cook on low for 8 minutes and then flip for another 8. Two will

About 10 almonds and a 1"- cube of cheese works as a very filling snack, I find.

As a tasty treat, I whip some heavy cream along with a bit of mascarpone for body. I add unsweetened cocoa powder and a touch of Stevia. It makes a delicious chocolate mousse.

Potatoes are low-carb? That’s great news!!

You,re right. I was drescribing how I reduced my weight. Potatoes are mainly carbs but since they’re complex carbs and potatoes take up a lot of room, you can cut your hunger with a small amount of carbs. When low-carbing, it is chiefly simple carbs which should be cut, fiber and starch aren’t so bad.

Wouldn’t carbs that release slowly mess with type 2 diabetes less than sugar?

Don’t forget beans - high fiber, high veg protein, and only good carbs. I used them to replace some of the animal protein to avoid cholesterol problems. Add a portion to vegetable soups and salads, not so much as a full meal. Drain & rinse to get rid of excess sodium.

I used to make a sort of crustless quiche once a week and heat a wedge for breakfast daily. Base is six eggs or equivalent egg beaters, and one 12-oz can of evaporated milk, regualr or low-fat, and an 8-oz package of shredded cheese of your choice. From there you can add meat, veg, and seasonings to suit your taste that week. Preheat oven to 325. Spray a deep-dish pie pan with your favorite non-stick Pam clone. Put cheese, meat, veg in bottom of pan (note: try to avoid more watery veg - use broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, etc). Mix eggs, milk, seasonings together and pour over filling. Bake until set.