Luther Ronzoni Vandross: April 20, 1951 - July 1, 2005

Vandross, whose smooth voice earned him eight Grammys and helped him sell more than 25 million records through a three-decade solo career, died Friday at a hospital in New Jersey. He was 54. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

First Barry White, now Luther. Damn, the record industry is trying to make me embrace neo-soul.

I’ve actually got tears trying to escape my eyes.

If there’s a rock and roll heaven, you know they’ve got a hell of a band.

Of course now I don’t know whether to cry over his passing or to laugh because his middle name is Ronzoni.

Noooo! Friends don’t let friends embrace neo-soul. Besides, Isaac Hayes still lives!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou. Yeah, but Isaac Hayes isn’t a velvet-voiced crooner, though. But we do still have Smokey Robinson, The Isley Brothers and Tom Jones.

But Tom Jones is. . .Welsh!

C’mon, Biggirl. It’s not unusual!

:frowning: He’ll be sadly missed.

But every time I hear that line now, I can only see Carlton doing his Tom Jones impression from Fresh Prince…

First he was named Ronzoni, then he died in New Jersey.

It’s a cruel world.

P.S. What’s so bad about neo-Soul? Sure Maxwell’s a little chubby and pretentious and arrestable but Ascenscion was a great song.

It’s not that neo-soul is bad, per se – I listen to The Roots, Erykah Badu, Common, Alicia Keys, Maxwell, india.arie – but fewer and fewer of the classic soul singing brothers I grew up with are still performing. Still, all’s not lost until we lose Bobby Womack and Al Green.

:: *Listening to Vandross’ “Here And Now.” * ::

Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me is playing on my computer right now. I’ve already listened to my all time favorite Never Too Much

Ooo! Good choices. I’ll be folllowing up with his cover of Always and Forever and Dance With My Father.

Inevitable. I know, we kinda refuse to admit it, but intellectually, we know it’s gona happen.

Don’t forget If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don’t Wanna Be Right) and Can I Take You Out.

RIP, Luther. You’ll be missed.

I’m so sad to hear of Luther’s passing. He was such a smooth force in music. He chose to sing about Love, and how to keep that flame going with another, in times that preferred a more incinidiery approach to get attention. Listening to his songs about how to love: well, it was all about enjoyment, enticement, and a suave approach. Wherever you were in your particular life in the past twenty years, Luther Vandross’ songs made you want to be in love; they lilted and tilted towards that fine state of mind.

In pop music culture, David Bowie so way owes Luther… during Bowie’s American Soul searching phase, Luther Vandross was at side, co-writing “Fame” with Bowie and Lennon, and contributing to Bowie’s musical arrangements at the time. If you heard Bowie in that period and thought it so different with the harmonics; Luther Vandross was the impetus of those recordings.

In addition to Luther (“Lutha Lutha Lutha!”) and Barry White, I’m dreaming of a heavenly trio with Carl Anderson included.

I’m very, very sad. :frowning:

Such a shame that he’s gone so young. Apparently he never really recovered from his stroke. :frowning:

I had the privilege of meeting him once at a listening party back in the mid-80s (even have a pic with him around here somewhere). He was such a sweet man, not at all full of himself the way you might expect a famous person to be, especially to some young record store lackey.

Luther, you will indeed be missed.