Luxuries you DO enjoy

Yeah, but Neptune’s eclipses are lame compared to ours. Not only are ours longer lasting but you can see the sun’s corona - can’t do that on Neptune. Why else do you think Neptunians are always cruising our skies. It ain’t because of the “intelligent life” here.

I second Darn Tough socks. They last forever. I’m wearing them now. I’ve got heavier ones for the winter.

Yup. I just consider my vacation to start when I sit down on the plane. We have a 10 hour flight coming up (London>Denver) no way I could do economy. Some other long flights too.

Most of my flights are just two-hour trips between Raleigh-Durham and Chicago, which I do several times a year. Still, it is nice to start off relaxed,

I really appreciated the comfort in 2024 when I flew to Glasgow with a three-day layover in Iceland, and last year when I flew to Seattle.

They got the Sex Robots, so…

For those of you who don’t enjoy massages (and I’m one), I’d suggest trying a guided stretching session with a personal trainer.

I did 30 minutes today, and it was very refreshing! My tight hips and glutes loosened up, doing wonders for my lower back pain! And the nap I took after was scrumptious.

I may make this a regular thing!

You have my attention. How and where does one arrange this?

I go to a gym, and I paid the personal trainer on staff.

But, at least in my area, there are places that focus on stretching. The Stretch Zone, for example, seems to have locations in multiple states.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into this.

I’ve been considering this for years. There’s a place near me called Stretch Lab that does this.

My LMT is also a yoga instructor. She incorporates a lot of stretching in addition to traditional massage techniques. I like it (although I have no interest in yoga).

One thing I note is that Stretch Lab advertises hands on stretching (the trainer puts their hands on you to apply pressure into the stretches). Stretch Zone, which I listed above, uses bands instead of physical touch (eta: then again, their website shows pictures of people with hands on. I’m just going by what I was told)

I only mention that for those who may dislike massage because they are averse to being touched.

Me? I just find massage painful. There’s a certain “burn” with a deep stretch, but it’s a good sort of pain, and the instant relief once the muscle relaxes is so fulfilling.

So I didn’t mind a personal trainer tugging on my hands and feet, and gently pressing on my limbs to stretch me out.

Plus I do think I’ve tapped into the source of my stiff lower back. My hip flexors are very tight.

Personally. I think that chiropractors are quacks. But I think there is efficacy in the benefits of working on your flexibility. I do recommend heartily!

Yoga is basically stretching with resistance training. I never feel so well stretched as I do after yoga.

I don’t do it often but it feels amazing.

I saw it for almost four, just about the most there would be. It was worth the drive.

Do you feel comfortable sharing what pair you buy?

I use the new balance 928v3 along with orthotics. Its a great shoe. Are you using the 1540?

The 990 v6!

Awesome!!

I think I mentioned upthread I’ve been wearing this series of running shoes exclusively since I was 13. That was in 1982, when the first 990 was released.

I was a New Balance 74X guy for years until eventually the latest edition hurt my feet. This was a blessing because I discovered Hokas. They are expensive but I have never had even close to as comfortable a shoe. They have a lot of running and hiking shoes but the Clifton series are everyday walking shoes that would work very well on up to a moderate hike.

We decided on leather furniture for the new living room. It’s really soft. I’ve never had that before so it seems like a luxury to me. I’m confident it will last for at least 20 years based on the past performance of everything else I own from this company. And we got what I would consider a pretty good deal. I knew it was the one because it was time to stand up and I didn’t want to stand up, it was so comfortable. All the seats recline!

Once it arrives, I intend to sit on the loveseat while reading Gothic romance in front of a roaring fire.

Back around 2000, so age 40-ish, I was furnishing a new house from scratch. Came upon a set that was a rather low round cocktail table and 4 leather bucket-like sling chairs that looked super-stylish, but not all that comfortable. Just for thoroughness I sat in one and just melted into it. Wow. An unexpected treat. Getting out was an effort of will; it was a chair that didn’t want to be emptied. Not in the sense of hard to climb out of; but rather of “Who’d ever want to?”.

Our shopping habit for furniture was when we hit a store we separated and each patrolled the store independently, then reunited to share our finds. So when we met I dragged her over to the set and said “Try this.” She looked skeptical, but plopped down. She was a very different size and shape from me. Big smile. “We’ll take it.”

The set still looked nearly new ~20 years later after she’d died and then-new (now ex-) wife and I were downsizing and refurnishing and I reluctantly sold it for next to nothing. In all those years I never had anyone sit in those chairs that didn’t have the same skeptical followed by wow reaction. Might be hard on real old people, but we and our friends weren’t that. Yet.


So yeah, as to your new couch: when you know, you know. And it seems you knew. Congrats and many happy sittings.