Lynn-

BTW and just out of curiousity . . .

What’s an “automator”?

point taken on the email. i’ll consider that in the future.

But it still doesn’t change the fact that I started a thread that I thought was humorous, that even had, admittedly jokey, elements of rant to it.
No harm intended at all.
It was closed with, at the very least, snotty remarks. in public. I felt it mete to respond similarly.

please don’t try to defend the closure- it was done in a snotty, public fashion. I had a right to respond. last i looked- i had no email from lynn trying in any fashion to privately educate me- kindly, snottily or otherwise.

manufacturing plants have machines that make things. these machines have to be interfaced with some kind of control system, called ‘process’ or ‘motion control’ in the biz.
i design and execute those interfaces.
automator

madeja look, lawyer lady
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

(fuck that, i’m gonna have SOME fun today, no matter how infantile…)

inor, I’m not saying whether you should or shouldn’t have opened a thread here. (I’m going to stop handing out that sort of advice after what happened last time, I’m sure you remember.) If you feel justified, then you feel justified. I’m just saying that stuff for future reference.

I had opened a couple threads in the Pit myself which I had then felt stupid for opening a day later. And instead of eating crow with a public apology (which I did a couple of times I think) or asking a mod to close a thread (which I also did), I eventually learned it was better just to not open a Pit thread in anger and to wait and see if you’re still mad about the subject the next day, or to settle things privately in email.

crunchy, i did invite the thread to be closed- i specifically asked euty to close it if it was hurting his feelings. euty did not close it.
at no point since then has euty taken me to task on the matter- in fact, he even posted a joke about it, that you responded to.
i have apologized where i thought necessary- notably to you.

other than that, i’ve just taken barbed issue (what I thought was in the best tradition of an sdmb flame) with some treatment i recieved, and defended myself against the flames that resulted in.

inor, I know you think you have Justice on your side, but to a disinterested bystander (me), you’re coming across like a total asshole.

This board is open to all, but there are conventions you are asked to abide by while posting here. The moderators are here to make sure people generally abide by them. They aren’t perfect, but they do a good job (as far as I can tell, purely out of the goodness of their hearts.) Things generally go quite smoothly.

Enter inor.

You start a thread. It gets moved, as threads are always getting moved. You start a bitchy, obnoxious thread in the Pit, crying about that fact. That thread appears to be an attempt to recreate your original thread, so its closed. If the Moderator who closed it was less than polite, that’s probably because she was cleaning up your mess, due to your inability to read the rules. Now, you’ve started a second bitchy, obnoxious thread to cry about your first obnoxious thread getting closed.

When you show up in someone else’s house, spend a few moments learning how your hosts like things done. Don’t just burst through the door screaming and breaking the dishes and humping the dog and shitting on the kitchen floor. You may think it’s funny, but really it’s just annoying.

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE- IT WAS A JOKE!!
ok? a fuckin joke
the first and second threads were a joke. I thought a good ol time would be had by all.

goddamn
:hitting his head against the wall:

No, no – a joke is supposed to be funny. That part’s important.

I wasn’t saying your motives were evil, I just said that your attempts at humor made you look like an asshole. Them’s the breaks.

Similarly, if I went to your house and said “Hey, inor, your mom sucked my cock last night. Just kidding.” like forty times in a row, you might not be overwhelmed with appreciation for my attempt to bring humor to your life.

Point taken, but as I said, I can’t read the mods’ minds and I won’t pretend to speak for them.

See above about reading mods’ minds.

I didn’t mean to imply that you owed an apology, I was just giving examples of how I’ve made my share of mistakes which led to the earlier advice I had given.

You know, inor, you are really starting to get on my nerves. And it takes a LOT to get on my nerves, FYI.

Please re-read Giraffe’s next to last post. She/he has nailed it, IMHO.

Scotti

scotticher- i don’t give a fuck about your nerves. or giraffes shitty analogies.

i made funnies. others besides me found them funny. then i got flamed for doing so. i responded in kind to members i have come to view as seriously humor impaired- you may add yourself to that list, btw, and pointed out some inconsistent treatment, in the same fashion that that treatment occured.

Isn’t it time for your latest staring-at-yourself-in-the-mirror-adoringly session?

Wahahahahahahaha! :wiping eyes:

Oh, my sides!

inor, you are truly half a wit. As GIRAFFE advises:

Let me help: Here’s a funny joke. It’s not brilliant, ROFLMAO, but it’s mildly funny: How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb? Fish.

Get it?!?!? It’s funny! Now you try.

k-
i’m feeling alidocious today, jodi.

know why?

cuz supercalifragilistic…makes me allidocious.

should i have taken out the …so it’s easier to follow?

or how about this one jodi- probably from the same page you got yours from

how many vulcans does it take to change a light bulb?
one
am i doing any better by ya’lls be-all, end-all rules of humor?

Nope. Still not funny. But at least not whiny, so improving. I give it a B.

Inor, here is something you perhaps do not yet understand.
We here at the Straight Dope Message Board do not like or prefer humor in any of our posts. I, most vehemently, abhor the use of any language which might elicit a smile from a potential reader and loathe the use of play on words, joke threads, and double entendres. The board is a place to fight ignorance and ONLY to fight ignorance. Humor has no use, and is not welcome, within these electronic walls. The Pit, in particular, is a place where logic must rule at all times and humor is quite misplaced.
For example, when someone here recommends to another poster that it would be advisable to insert a small vacuum tube into the backside of one of several farm animals after coitus, I, and many others, take them at face value. Moderators, and quite especially administrators, are known to have no tolerance for humor whatsoever. Rumor has it that they are chained down and required to watch an Eddie Izzard and Monty Python marathon while being tickled with a feather from the chest of an emu for three hours without cracking a smile. This is just to be considered for position, not to get the job. Of course, this is merely a rumor and I would hate to spread ignorance on a site as revered as The Straight Dope Message Board.
Jokes have been scientifically proven to lower intelligence. Every joke makes you lose 50 brain cells. Ever wonder why Jeff Foxworthy tells those redneck jokes? He used to play Hamlet in Shakespeare in the park!

Please reconsider your stance on this issue, inor. If not for the integrity of the board, then for your own personal safety.

I said:

Then ignor, er pardon me inor said:

I am glad I waited to respond to this. You are doing a good job of it yourself. Cool if you have an opinion but it’s not like Lynn committed a capital offense, she didn’t see the humor you claimed and felt it not worthy of bandwidth. With close to 13,000 members, probably a 1/3 frequent here if that, but there’s a lot of traffic here, no need for supposed jokes in The Pit, shit anyone can claim that.

Moderator/Admin closing a thread based on something that many didn’t think so funny. Whine, stumble and yes you look like the fool who threw his head in the guillotine. Don’t blame Lynn, blame yourself for your inability to express humor, if that’s what you really meant as many come here in and say one thing and come back later to say, “No I meant this, really I did!” I still don’t get it and yes, I do have a funny bone more so than just the one in my arm.

Oh and BTW, I am not “goth” I am quite the average person who is sitting here in my tshirt, flannel pants and slippers listening to my jazz. Your generalizations just slay me.

If you were as bright as I think you think you are, you woulda kept to the thread that Euty moved and made a curiously funny remark there rather than venturing in here with a very weak attempt at humor.

Hey, I have been the subject of ridicule and slamming when I started a thread people didn’t agree with before. You know what solved that, for the most part? That if I have a beef with a moderator or a member I will take it to email. Quite simple actually.

Now, if someone publicly has a complaint about a member or a mod/admin in here they better be ready to deal with the members at large. If you haven’t figured that out by now, you may want to put it in your “non-spoken rules of the SDMB” because people will call you on things in the Pit, and this thread is mighty tame I might say…

So, off with his head! < grin >

well, i give up then.
I ain’t whined once in the course of this l’il serial drammar.

i guess i’ll just have to go play with the dogs. They seem to be able to tell when I’m goofin and when I’m not. yikes!

while i’m doing that, perhaps you (with certain exceptions- the non-insane ones) all would like to spend a session reading your (insert title of your fav fundamentalist, rabid, raving totally shcizophrenic neo-religious text), hmm? and maybe some nice lukewarm and absolutely conformist chocolate with the little marshmellows in it…doesn’t that sound nice? hmm?
and oh, my, don’t forget your nice slippers- the fluffy, fluffy ones…don’t want your little feetsie weetsies to get cold, to somehow deviate from a comfortable temperature norm…

No no no. We’ve regressed back to unfunny AND semi-whiny. D, D+ tops.