Lyrics that make your teeth itch

Doncha hate it when you really like a song, but it has lyrics that make you grimace?

Richard Hung Himself by D.I.

Though not listed in the linked lyrics, the song ends with ‘Your answer is non seglidur’. :smack:

First of all, it’s non sequitur. Good god, man! I know you’re a punk band from O.C., but at least get the word right! Second, non sequitur is a noun, not an adjective. Try using another noun in its place. ‘Your answer is chair.’ ‘Your answer is tree.’ It doesn’t work. You could use an adjective; e.g., ‘Your answer is wrong.’ That works. Or you could insert an ‘a’: ‘Your answer is a non sequitur.’ That works, too.

I really like the song. (I also like ‘Reagan’s our fuehrer / We need someone newer’.) I could overlook the useage, but dammit! It’s sequitur, not seglidur!

What songs do you like that have painful lyrics?

Two come to mind for me:

1) Paul McCartney’s “Live And Let Die”

…and if this ever-changing world in which we live in…

That just doesn’t sound right. I’m glad that he changed it to “…in which we’re livin’…” for the Superbowl halftime show.

2) Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs”

Generals gather in their masses
just like witches at black masses

I know that Ozzy ain’t getting into MENSA anytime soon, but I wish that he’d tried a little bit harder on those first two lines.

[Homer Simpson]
By the way, guys: rhyming “Homer” with “Homer”? [kisses fingers]
[/Homer Simpson]

Well, there’s grammar and then there’s content.

Since it should be “Richard Hanged Himself” so right at the title you know you’re in trouble. :wink:

I’ve heard the “Live and Let Die” one explained on these boards as "in this ever-changing world in which we’re livin’ " but I don’t buy it.

How about that John Cougar one: “I can’t forget from where it is that I come from”

For cringeworthy content in an otherwise good song, Springsteen’s “I would drive all night again just to buy you some shoes”

D’oh :smack: as you mentioned in your post. I was distracted by the thought of someone buying me some shoes. Dumb song lyrics, but great concept.

That “Ironic” song by whatshername.

“My name is blue canary, one note spelled l-i-t-e”

The lyrics in the CD say word, but is is clearly sung note. I can forgive lite, because I assume the blue canary is a night light marketed as a nitelite or somesuch, but one does not spell a note, one spells a word.