MAD: Anyone going to the Maryland Ren Faire?

Oct 4th? Hey! I’m actually off the weekend of Oct 4th. If that’s the Doper Day, then I’m all set. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if we’ll be going this year or not (with 5 of us in the family, it’s a pretty expensive proposition). But on years that we do go, we go in October, so as to avoid the worst of the heat/humidity. It’s about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive for us, but we got hooked on it when we still likved in the area. A couple of years ago, we tried the PA Renfest instead, as it’s considerably closer, but didn’t like it nearly as much!

We don’t go in costume, but we’re in the spirit of the thing, and have the best time. I’ll talk to hubby, and if we go, we’ll go on Oct. 4th if that’s to be DoperDay.

Ah! October 4th and 5th are the Oktoberfest days! The Jousting tournament will be the last weekend of the fair, and the Pirate weekend is the 20th and 21st of September (I think).

Here is the URL for the MRF site:

http://www.rennfest.com/mrf/

I’m thinking that the later dates are probably going to be the best times to go simply for the (hopefully!) lowered temperatures. Also, there’s an article in today’s Washington Post about the jousters.

look under style section.

I’m open to almost any weekend… except the 13th and 14th of September – I’m having a colonoscopy on the 15th (sorry for the bit of TMI folks, but I want to be able to have a good time and eat when I go to the Ren Faire!).

I’ll put in another vote for October 4.

The Bricker family went this past weekend! We had a great time - Bricker Jr. was entranced with the toy that’s a stick with an animal on the end and wheels for feet, with little flaps of rubber connected to the wheels so that when you push it along, it looks like the duck/dragon/penguin is walking. He demanded on and spent the rest of the day pushing it when the surface was flat and carrying it when it was gravel.

While I had to cry passing all the food shops (I’m on Atkins), I was pleased to stop at Steak on a Stick and enjoy myself. And Mrs. bricer was entranced by the glass-blowing demo.

It was loads of fun.

I can’t believe it.

I take a six week vacation, and it falls exactly between the two largest MAD social gatherings.

I have to go back to work on Oct 3 rd.

September is good. Pirates, lovely weather, . . . me.

Sigh.

Tris

I’m thinking I can get the Boyfriend and the Roomies going on the 4th. That would be cool.

Shall we all meet up somewhere in particular? I’ve never been to a RenFest before, but my roomie just got back from Pennsic War and he had a blast.

I’m for October 4th. Cooler temps and gives me time to save up for food and souveniers.

This will be my 5th or 6th summer in a row going to the MRF. I love it and can’t wait to go this year. On my first visit this year, I plan to wear the costume I made for last year’s MRF. The I will work feverishly to get my new costume ready to wear before it ends. That costume will also double as my halloween costume this year.

The idea of a doper day the the Ren Fest is WONDERFUL! We would have such a blast!

P.S. Any other amateur costumers out there?

MD renfaire?

We make it most years. Looks like we’ll be there this year too. Can’t make Sep 20 (Company picnic: they’re renting ALL of Dorney Park for us!), but Oct 4 looks pretty good.

well, the scottish days are on the BF’s birhtday weekend, so we will be meeting friends there to drink, have fun, and finally get me into a kilt. (real one, not a skirt. it is like 12’ of fabric) but we will be back on the 4th to hopefully meet up with all the dopers. anyone got a suggestion on where and when to meet?

One of my coworkers wives is a professional actress with the RenFaire. She actually recruited me to be a Wench (who knew there was a professional designation!?) - so I guess October 4 is as good as any other day to go Wenching.

Shall we make this a formal RenDope?

Just to clarify - one coworker, one wife.

Now how many were going to St. Ives?

I’ve always thought about going, as it sounds intriguing. I’ve just always wimped out and never wanted to go alone.

Costume?

Did anyone else see “Ren Faire” and think it was a fan convention of people dressed as asthmatic chihuahuas with temper problems?

I’m gonna give this one a bump. Are we still thinking about doing this on October 4?

I got it marked down on my calendar. only question, where we gonna meet at the faire? also, any particular time? I am going this weekend, so can scouth things out.

Taz

Time to get this semi-organized.

People who said at one time or another that they’d like to go on 10/4:
tarragon918
AnnaLucretia (plus co-worker and wife)
dctaz
Theios
(and The Green Feather?)
Tranquilis and Intaglio
RTFirefly
AngelHeart
Miss Mapp
norinew
krisolov
Skerri
(plus Boyfriend and Roomies)

People who’ve expressed interest in a more general fashion:
FairyChatMom
Who_me?
AnitaVacation
Jonathan Chance
El Marko
Scuba_Ben
Kiger
birdgirl

1. So, for 10/4: who’s in? Who’s out? Who’s on the fence?

2. When and where shall we meet? Gates open at 10:30am, which is well into the day, by my internal clock. I’m thinking of getting there by then, and can meet other Dopers outside the gate at that time.

We should have meeting places inside the Faire to rendezvous with those who come later. Here’s a map. If those who are planning to arrive later give us an idea of when, we can arrange to meet. Or we can trade cell phone numbers by email, and take some of the guesswork out of it.

If everyone… or even anyone goes, count me in. I’m cool with the 4th. I also usually get there early, so you’ll have someone to wait with RT.

I went last weekend. I go every year, and usually make an effort to add to my collection of weapons every time.