Mafia: Goontown [Game Over]

I’ll toss my hat in the ring.

Stranger

Welcome, Stranger!

We meet again. I look forward to it.

Howdy, Stranger. I don’t think I’ve seen you in one of these games before-- Is this your first one?

1. snfaulkner
  2. Mahaloth
  3. Biotop
  4. Prof. Pepperwinkle
  5. Sunny Daze
  6. Snoe
  7. Hi, Neighbor!
  8. Knowed Out
  9. Johnny Bravo
  10. Stranger on a Train

We now have enough for the minimal game, and it doesn’t look likely that we’ll meet the next threshold. I’m inclined to leave sign-ups open for one more day, just in case, and then we’ll have an extra-long Day 1 to get us on schedule.

It is the first time playing here, but I have played Mafia-type games before (Godfather, The Resistance, Avalon) so I’m familiar with the general gameplay.

Stranger

Howdy Stranger.

Looks like I missed this one, but probably no bad thing as I have a busy couple of weeks coming up. Maybe I’ll just watch and try to get back in the swing of things for the next game (I’ve only played once before, and really enjoyed it despite totally messing up the endgame and getting an undeserved technical win).

Dang. You did great last time, DeadCat. Wish we could meet the next threshold of players

Come on folks, there is still time. Join up. This is an easy and fun game!

Vinnie: Here we go, gentlemen, our new town.
Guido: I dunno, boss, it’s a lot smaller than I expected. Only eleven people?
Vinnie: Twelve, Guido. You forgot to count yourself again.
Books: Wait, twelve? It should be only ten, including us. And who are those two mysterious gentlemen in black suits and ties?
MGiBSaT #1: Freeze, FBI!
MGiBSaT #2: We have a warrant here for the arrest of one Mr. Guidoni. You’re wanted for a string of crimes crossing state lines, all the way from Ceciltown to here.
MGiBSaT #1: I’d like to thank you in person, Mr. Vincenzo. You’ve been most helpful in bringing this criminal to justice.
Vinnie: Just doing my part as a responsible citizen, Officer.
MGiBSaT #2: Now, if you’ll just step this way, Mr. Guidoni, and join us on this bus.
Vinnie: I expect that now that you gentlemen have apprehended the individual responsible for these crimes, that we won’t be seeing much of you around here?
MGiBSaT #1: I expect that you’re probably right, Mr. Vincenzo.
Guido: Wait, Boss, you can’t do this to me!
Vinnie: Please understand, Guido, it’s nothing personal. It’s just business.

The game will now begin, as soon as everyone receives PMs (which will be sent out in the same order in which you signed up). Eight of you will receive the same PM, as follows:

The other two of you will be Vinnie and Books, the Mafia.

Here follow more detailed rules:

Days will begin on Saturdays at 4:00 PM. Nights will begin on Thursdays at 4:00 PM. All times are Eastern Time (currently Eastern Daylight Time). Any sort of talk will be allowed at any time, but only contributions during the Day will be tracked for participation.

During the Day, each player will have one vote to cast for whomever you consider to be most likely to be Mafia. You may change your vote at any time until the end of the Day. Please place your votes in blue, on their own line, as such:
Vote Chronos
And place unvotes in red, on their own line, as such:
Unvote Chronos
If you have any questions for the moderator, please put them in green:
What time will Day end?
At the end of the Day, whoever has the most votes will be lynched, and their role revealed. Ties will be resolved by participation, as detailed below.

During the Night, the Mafia members will confer at a secret location listed in their PM, and decide on someone to murder. In the unlikely event of a disagreement, Vinnie’s decision will hold sway over Books’. At the end of the Night, that person will die, and their role revealed.

Aside from this game thread and the secret Scum location, all other communications between players about the game are forbidden. Don’t PM each other, don’t read the spectators’ thread, don’t post images on hosting sites, etc.

The Town (including dead players) will win if all Mafia are dead. The Mafia (including dead players) will win if they control the vote, such that there’s no chance that the Town could vote for who they want.

I will be trying out some rules to encourage participation. First of all, if any player goes for an entire Day without posting anything at all, they will be removed from the game. The only circumstances under which I will remove a player are if they do not post for an entire Day, they communicate through prohibited channels, or if the player requests it. If this happens on Day 1 or Day 2 and there is a substitute already available, that substitute will replace the removed player. Otherwise the player will be mod-killed (and revealed) at the next End of Day.

Ties in the lynch vote will be resolved by participation. On most Days, this will mean that if the vote is tied, the victim will be whichever one has made the fewest posts on the preceding Day. Post counts will be posted at the start of each new Day, to facilitate this. If the game is at “Lynch or Lose”, i.e., where the number of Townies exactly equals the number of Mafia, then participation will instead be counted based on the total from all Days. In either case, posts at Night will not be counted.

I will not in any way be judging the quality of posts. If you believe that someone is posting just to pad their post counts, it is up to you guys to decide what to do about that.

This game is balanced around the assumption of an even number of players during the Day. If, for any reason, it becomes necessary to mod-kill any player, and that player happens to be Town, a second player will also be immediately mod-killed. This second player will be whoever has the lowest participation, regardless of alignment, defined in the same way as in the tiebreaker rules. The second player is not, however, excised from the game, and will still win or lose with their side.

Give me a few minutes to get the PMs sent out.

All PMs have now been sent out. Day 1 begins now, and will end on Thursday, 4 October at 4:00 PM EDT (the first Day is a little longer than usual, to get us on schedule). Commence scheming.

Current post counts are:
Chronos 8
Biotop 4
Prof. Pepperwinkle 3
Stranger On A Train 2
Mahaloth 2
snfaulkner 2
Sunny Daze 2
Pleonast 1
Dead Cat 1
Johnny Bravo 1
Knowed Out 1
Hi, Neighbor! 1
snoe 1
Dead Cat, should I put you down as an alternate?

Biotop is already padding his post count, I see. :smiley:

Only posts during Day phases count. That’s why I’m posting the counts at the start of each Day, to subtract them off.

Well, hello everyone. : pad, pad, pad:

Alrighty then, let’s start the [del]padding[/del]playing!

Just fyi, Sunday is when I’ll be back on a real keyboard and be able to sleuth more efficiently.

OK, I’m ready as well.

Pad? Me? Pfui!

Well, maybe a couple…

I like the post-promoting mechanic. It means lurkers are penalized. This is good for Town. Tomorrow (Saturday), however, is one of Madame Pepperwinkle’s art shows, so I won’t be on much or at all. Sunday I should catch up, though.

I have a rope. Who needs a hangin’?

Stranger