Making amends for something I did when I was four

Recreational outrage? Check.

Recreational sense of moral obligation? Check.

Recreational sense of civic duty? Check.

Recreational guilt? Check.

I believe we call that hitting for the cycle.

One time when my oldest nephew was about six years old, I was babysitting him and he grabbed a butcher knife and attempted to attack me. I smacked him on the arm with the broom handle and made him drop it.

It’s not exactly the same story, but close enough: I forgive you by proxy, BrightNShiny. :smiley:

[QUOTE=rhythmonly]
Recreational outrage? Check.

Recreational sense of moral obligation? Check.

Recreational sense of civic duty? Check.

Recreational guilt? Check.

I believe we call that hitting for the cycle.
[/QUOTE]

It’s good to know you’ve got Recreational Being a Dick covered as well.

[QUOTE=lisacurl]
It’s good to know you’ve got Recreational Being a Dick covered as well.
[/QUOTE]
Hey, this is the Pit. It’s the Home-Run Derby of Dickishness. Nobody cares about sportsmanship - it’s just how far you can hit the ball.

[QUOTE=maggenpye]
I spent time worrying about the OP last night.

The juxtaposition of “I feel bad about what I did” type statements with “bad thangs have been done to me.”

I wondered if the you were on some awful depressive “It’s all my fault - I deserved the bad things” kick.

Turns out you were just drunk. Now you’re a bit upset that people are mocking you.
You’re a maudlin drunk, seeking pity from strangers, and you came to the BBQ pit to get it?

Oh dear.

Maybe you do deserve to pit yourself, but leave the baby sitter out of it.
[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your worrying about me, and think your post was nice. I did take a lesson from it. I do tend to not let go of things I should, and I guess that’s something I’ll work on.

[QUOTE=CaerieD]
One time when my oldest nephew was about six years old, I was babysitting him and he grabbed a butcher knife and attempted to attack me. I smacked him on the arm with the broom handle and made him drop it.

It’s not exactly the same story, but close enough: I forgive you by proxy, BrightNShiny. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Geez. I had no idea how common this behavior is. What is it about little boys and butcher knives?

[QUOTE=OneCentStamp]
Um…you put it in the Pit. You aren’t new here; you know that even a well-founded Pit thread gets treated like a ham in a shark tank, let alone the silliness of this OP.
[/QUOTE]

Do sharks actually eat ham?

Sorry for the threadjack, but this metaphor stuck with me and I’m reduced to fits of giggles every time I think about a shark tank filled with floating hams and a bunch of really confused sharks.

:eek:

[QUOTE=BrightNShiny]
I appreciate your worrying about me, and think your post was nice. I did take a lesson from it. I do tend to not let go of things I should, and I guess that’s something I’ll work on.
[/QUOTE]

Oh stop being so nice, now *I *feel bad.

Damn, I gotta stay out the pit or grow a thicker skin!

[QUOTE=BrightNShiny]
I’m puting this in the pit, because I think my actions were pitworthy.

When I was four (I’m 36 now), I had a babysitter who was 13 years old.
[/QUOTE]

Drop it, forget it. See a therapist if you can’t.

If you did track her down, she’d most likely think it creepy and stalker-like and you’d freak her out far more than a forgotten 24year ago incident.

Lisa… Liiiiisaaaa… the butcher knife, Lisa…

[QUOTE=sugar and spice]
Um, if you managed to get your hands on a butcher knife then is it fair to say that maybe she could’ve been keeping a closer eye on you?
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. That was my first thought.

Track her down and sue her. :smiley:

4? You were 4? Wow, pretty sure I can’t even remember being 4.

Let’s just assume she is a member of this board and just read this thread and forgives you, but doesn’t want to say so for privacy reasons.

[QUOTE=Lanzy]
4? You were 4? Wow, pretty sure I can’t even remember being 4.
[/QUOTE]

You might if you were menacing people with the cutlery.

[QUOTE=saoirse]
You might if you were menacing people with the cutlery.
[/QUOTE]

[announcer voice]"Not just cutelry! Cutelry and Waterless Cookware…![/announcer voice]

As a teenager, I chased my twin sister around the house with a butcher knife.

No regrets.

[QUOTE=Count Blucher]
[announcer voice]"Not just cutelry! Cutelry and Waterless Cookware…![/announcer voice]
[/QUOTE]
[announcer voice]And the solution to your everyday babysitter problems![/announcer voice]

Well, what did your parents do to punish you? If they didn’t discipline you in any way then shame on them. Discipline not only teaches a the difference between right and wrong but helps assuage any guilt (because you paid for your crime, so to speak) so that you don’t grow up worried about something you did when you were four.

Parenting tip: If the babysitter’s parents have to make a trip over, then junior should be very, very sorry. I can’t imagine how sorry I would have been. Especially my butt.

One of us could spank her now.