Man clad only in underwear, dropped at mall. What should he buy?

As we’re looking at moving Ramit up in the foodchain a bit, I’m going to assume that everything but the underssentials he wears daily to the office are pretty much going to be completely replaced.

Underwear: covered
Casual socks: covered

He needs to move from “jeans and a company tee shirt” to “business casual managing a dozen or more technical support staff” in one shopping weekend. Maybe two.

He’s never visited the new company’s facilities, so we don’t know what the dress code is (on his first visit/in person interview if it gets that far he will wear a suit).

But assuming he gets and passes the interview, he’ll need to spend a month or more on the other side of the country to train. Read: <I>needs at least a week or more worth of clothes that he can do in a laundromat w/o ironing</i>.

If you were building a check list of what a color deaf guy would need (not color-blind) what would it be?

__ pair of tan or grey khaki pants
__ pair of dark casual pants
__ pair of black socks
__ pair of tan socks
__ semi-casual button down shirts (ie optional tie, not necessarily suit-shirts)
__ polo shirts
__ semi-casual khaki shorts for going ‘out’
__ shorts and a tee to knock around the hotel/workout room in (might be found in the less grungy of the current 'drobe)
__ other?

etc etc. Ideally, we could build a shopping list and just do this all in one go at the outlet mall … then after he moves back, fill in with a few pieces to keep it freshish.

He is going to need to learn how to iron. Any hotel can provide and iron and board. Many rooms already come equipped with them.

Your list looks good so far, but he may need to get a couple of pairs of midrange shoes (one black, one brown). Hushpuppies, or something similar.

He needs to find thrift stores and dry cleaners. Thrift stores have really nice suits sometimes that just need a nice dry cleaning to smell better for a really really good price. Like $4.50.

Dry cleaners … hrm!

I’ve not found much in thrift stores, to my dismay. Nor do there seem to be much at local consignment shops (seem to focuss on women and kids).

Will he need a casual sport-like jacket as well? I assume some sort of medium to light coat for the weather will be much unlike south florida.

I would say a dark leather belt, even when not needed for its purpose, makes a man’s outfit look snazzier. (If you’re reading, Brandon, this does not mean you may go buy the hole-punched suede women’s belt.)

If there are occasions when he might need a tie, he should probably have a jacket as well.

Hot Dog on a Stick, a Mrs. Field’s cookie and a Jayhawks CD.

I’m wearing a pair of khaki pants that are advertised as stain-resistant and wrinkle free. These are from The Gap, but I’ve worn similar pants from Dockers and Eddie Bauer with these features. They are machine washable, but the label mentions not to use fabric softener with them (apparently it removes the stain resistant coating). The Gap also has shirts that are stain resistant and wrinkle free, although my way to avoid ironing is to wear polo shirts all the time. Oh, and these are made of cotton.

With the shirts, I’ve heard that poly/cotton iron-free shirts tend to crease less than the pure cotton iron-free ones.

From the corporate perspective, I’m going to have to say that “managing a dozen technical support personnel” is fundamentally incompatible with any suit you get for $4.50 at a thrift store.

Most corporate environments don’t require a jacket and tie. Even if they do, he can probably get away with a sportcoat rather than a suit. Suits, unless they are expensive or you have the Off-The-Rack-Body ™, suck. I very much prefer khaki slacks and a navy blazer, with a white shirt and a tie, if I must “dress up.”

Assuming that he doesn’t need to wear a coat and tie, your list is pretty good. I would suggest doubling or tripling the khaki pants. If the environment allows it, polo shirts are great – no ironing required, just laundering. They’re far better than the button-down shirts from that perspective.

Add at least one belt per pair of shoes, and drill him in this:

• Belt must match shoes.
  • Socks must match pants.

On the pressing side of things, it would be good to learn to iron. If he can’t, or won’t have time, many hotels do offer pressing services in addition to laundry, often at reasonable rates.

thanks guys.

the list will probably suffice for the first few months; he’ll be flying to SLC in 2 week increments and we’ll eat the cost of hotelling.

Suit alternatives are more of a “keep an eye out at estate sales” but it’s hard enough to outfit him at store with standard sizess :wink:

Shoes he’s got in black; should have in tan, too? Dressy ones for his suit, semi-casual w/o too much for new job.

Shirts may be taken care of … a friend who doesn’t need wardrobe full of wrinkle-resistant polos has contacted me.

Matching belts and shoes we’ll do and I’ll put discreet ‘matching’ marks on them Garanimals-style.

thanks, all!

Drat. I hate when I read through an entire thread, and just before I get to the end, someone has already used the joke I was planning. Although I was going to recommend a Cinnabun and a pretzel.