Man, I want a Arizona/PhoenixDopeFest to happen so bad. Anyone up for it?

sigh :frowning:

I live here in Phoenix, Arizona. Big city, right? I mean, you’d think it would be a popular place to have Dopefests. Or at least a common one. But do I ever see any DF threads being made for here? No. (Well, actually I have, but it never panned out. The reason? It was too hot. Hey, I can understand that, in the summer it gets scorching, but only now fall/winter is upon us and there’s no excuse. :wink: )

I don’t know exactly how many of you live here or in the surrounding citys of Mesa, Tempe, Sun City, Scottsdale, Glendale, etc, but surely there’s enough to have a gathering with at least 5 or more, no? I’ve never been to a dopefest before, but have been reading about them on here for the longest time. Seems so fun.

I have met 2 Dopers with one to one meetings. Lel and Mauvaise were both charming ladies and fun to spend time with. But what do I have to do to get a full blown Dopefest for Phoenix and the surrounding areas?

One other thing. I’m just throwing the idea out there. I, above all, am NOT suggesting a time and place. That is not for me to do. Why? Because I have no life and any day is good for me. So it’s not good for me to pick a day, since all of mine are free. I’m kinda hoping someone around here will see this topic, and help me out with picking a date and time and place.

That is, if it’s a good idea in the first place.

Come on now, dopers. It’s cooler now. Come out of your homes and let the Phoenix and surrounding cities people merge and meet up for at least one day/night of a good time.
Show me what a dopefest is firsthand. :wink: I beg of you.

I’d go, depending on details.
i’m in Tucson, though.

Wow, now that’s what I’m talking about. An actual Dopefest that would be big enough for people to actually come from not only surrounding cities, but ones farther too.

We need someone to help with details and times and dates, since I’m so inept at choosing and bad with deciding dates. If it were up to me, I’d probably choose a day when everyone is working or half the people can’t make it.
Hrm…doesn’t Jodi live here? She’s smart. Maybe she can help me out with planning. Let’s just hope she either does vanity searches or catches the name of her town in the topic title.

I will be in Phoenix to run a marathon in January. (I’ll be in town the 9th to the 11th)

But that doesn’t mean I’m opposed to a little road trip to meet some AZ Dopers.

And that second sentence, of course, means that if the Dopefest were at a time OTHER than the weekend I mentioned, I might be able to swing a trip out.

Sheesh.

What days are those? That a weekend?

Ah…so that weekend (even though you will be here) is NOT good for you?

Okay.
Any other suggestions for a date? Anyone?

That is a Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

I’ll actually be around on the 12th (Monday) as well, but only in the morning to check out and fuel up before I head out of town.

Heh heh. I must not be typing very well today.

I would be available that weekend (except for about 7am-11:30am when I’ll be running my ass off) and quite possibly would be able to make it even if it were some other time.

I think early January would be a pretty good time for an AZDope. But who can host? I don’t know how these things normally work.

I’m assuming we’ll want to do it out of Pheonix, since more people are likely to be there, but if the Tucson area is worth considering then I’ll help to plan it. I can’t host it on my own, though.

I think early January would be a pretty good time for an AZDope. But who can host? I don’t know how these things normally work.

I’m assuming we’ll want to do it out of Phoenix, since more people are likely to be there, but if the Tucson area is worth considering then I’ll help to plan it. I can’t host it on my own, though.

sigh If it was out of Phoenix, I wouldn’t be able to make it. :frowning:
And I never thought of hosting. I was thinking we’d all just show up a park or something…

Why not, Idle? Would you need transportation?

Anyway, I agree (reluctantly) that somewhere in the Phx metro area makes the most sense, but there’s not much I can do to help with it in that case.

… I just got an idea – how about a place like the campground at Weaver’s Needle? Big, plenty of facilities, cool scenery, but close enough to the city that it’s not a huge pain to get to. What do you think?

Yes, Hellizona is my home, too. Fridays are good for me (later in the day), Wednesdays also after 3pm, and Thursdays after 3pm. I wouldn’t be able to host or go out of the city too far. I have an autistic child (hence the limited time and busy schedule). We need a veteran of these affairs to help us plan, I think. Some Doper that’s done this a time or two. Are kids even welcome?

I think it’s a great idea if we can get some expert help.

Kids should be welcome, and I think The needle is a great place. Had I had my boat in the water at that time of year I’d say let’s go up to the lakes. But I won’t have it in. See I live in CT, but will be out there for the month of January, I’m a teacher and all the students at my college will be on break till Jan 20th or there about.

How about a BBQ at the camp area.

Kids should be welcome, and I think The needle is a great place. Had I had my boat in the water at that time of year I’d say let’s go up to the lakes. But I won’t have it in. See I live in CT, but will be out there for the month of January, I’m a teacher and all the students at my college will be on break till Jan 20th or there about.

How about a BBQ at the camp area. I’ll throw the webber in the truck and head out. My wife and I have a condo in Ahwatukee and would love to make it. We’ll bring the Dog if it does happen outside!

Or maybe South Mountain?

Ok no idea what happened with that…I think the Hampsters have been drinking.

I live in the Phx metro area, SE valley to be more specific. But, South Mt. park is a pretty good idea. Weather in Jan. is pretty good also.

OK, sounds like there’s interest! Cool!

I think Weaver’s needle is my first choice because it’s such a great place, and It’d be nice (for me at least) to do some camping if I’m coming up that way. But South Mountain would work.

Sounds good to me. Lel, Winnowill and Mauvaise usually organize the Phoenix fests and I show up. I’m in Mesa, so anywhere in the valley is easy to get to for me. I’m open for any day except Jan 17th.

It’s out of town a ways, but Boyce-Thompson is a great place for picnics and BBQs.