Man, I want a Arizona/PhoenixDopeFest to happen so bad. Anyone up for it?

Boyce-Thompson I second that! That’s where my wife first learned what a Rattler sounds like. :slight_smile:

All right, ye folks, come here and gather, and you shall hear lel ramble about Dopefests.

1. Trying to find a time and date that is acceptable to all is impossible. Don’t worry about that. I also suggest planning it on a Friday or Saturday late afternoon/evening, but others may have other ideas.

2. I don’t recall that there has ever been a Tucson Dopefest. There are a few Dopers who are in Tucson, and I need an excuse to get down there sometime in February or March.

3. Unless she has recently relocated here, I don’t believe that Jodi is in Arizona. Could be mistaken, though.

4. scout! You must come hither and meet us! :smiley:

5. Yumanite – there’s really no need for a host. The longest Dopefest I can think of might last 3-4 hours, and usually it’s just an hour or two. I can’t see anything like the big Chicago or NYC Dopefests happening here. Pick a place and time, and make sure you get at least two other people to assent to coming, that’s all.

6. What’s Weaver’s Needle? How far is it, and how expensive? Where is it? To really do something out-of-town, there might have to be two Dopefests, one in-town and one out-of-town.

7. 9x: got any good kid-friendly in-town ideas? That’s the best way to make sure that the Dopefest is in town and kid friendly that I can think of. Is South Mountain kid-friendly?

8. DaToad, do we get to meet your SO this time? :slight_smile:

Are we talking about Weaver’s Needle out in the Superstition mountains? I agree it’s a great place but might not be a good place for a dopefest. Not the easiest place to get to, it is a bit of a hike. And not really any good places at its base for a dopefest.

I only have two suggestions, if you want to have it during the day, pick a centrally located park that is easy to get to and has facilities to grill and what not. The other suggestion, if you want to have it at night pick a place that a group can gather and talk maybe like a pool hall, but not really a bar or restaurant.

1. DaToad, do we get to meet your SO this time? :slight_smile:

Oh yes, Killer will be there. (She’s always ready for a party)

FallFast – I think there is a big picnic area/campground right by the Needle; one that can be driven to. Our hiking club had a big millenial party out there, and 'tho most were hikers, there were plenty of kids/spoused/retird/etc, plus they had a lot of equipment for showing videos and slide shows. So I’m pretty sure it’s accessible. I’ll look into it some more and let you guys know in more practical detail.

If we’re up for a picnic/BBQ but don’t want to go too far out of town, Tempe Town Lake is central (sort of) and a good spot for a get-together.

If this is all going to come to fruition on the weekend of January 10-11, that might be a good spot, DaToad, because I’ll be staying at the Courtyard in Tempe, which is probably close by.

Not, of course, that I’m imposing my will on the rest of you. :slight_smile:

Y’all are probably right – somewhere right in town is easier, even if it does mean I have to go through Phoenix. South Mountain is my vote, but I’ll defer to the Phoenicians who probably have a better idea of what’s available.

I echo all that said having it somewhere in town would be best.

South Mountain is a good idea, basically any state park or mountain park would do well.
So…what’s the date? Everyone think that Jan 10-11 good? Anyone not be able to be free that weekend?

If we can agree on that date, woohoo, one step closer. Then all we’d need to agree on is location, location, location. For me, any place is good within Phoenix or at least 50 miles thereof. If we decided on Weever’s Needle (by the way, a GREAT veiw and park there) Then, yes, Yumanite, transportation would be a need for me.

That date’s good for me.

If it is in Tempe and in those days, count me in too.

I second Tempe Town Lake. South Mountain is pretty, but there’s really not much to do except hike and uhh… hike.

Tempe Town Lake is close enough to Mill Avenue that people from out of town can take in the city and do a bit of shopping as well. There’s a park right next the lake, right? Beach park or something of that nature.

Jan 10-11 works for me too. =)

That’s true, there’s oodles of stuff around Tempe Town Lake and I’m pretty much okay anytime on the weekends or late Friday evening. Since I’m guessing we won’t be there more than an hour or two, what are the preferred times?

malkavia TTL has a nice beach park with BBQ pits and picnic areas.

I think Jan 10 or 11 is good for me too, but will check with Killer too make sure.

So, is the plan a BBQ and picnic if the weather is nice, or a get together at a rest/bar if it’s not? If we do a picnic, I’ll bring a big ol’ pot of Texas chili and some brats for the grill.

The only times that weekend I won’t be available is Saturday night (I’ll be going to bed super duper early that evening) and then Sunday until about 1-2pm. So Friday night, Saturday day and Sunday afternoon I’m just going to be hanging out in the hotel.

If we end up meeting on Sunday afternoon/evening, take it easy on me. I’ll be walking like an old lady and it’ll probably only take a sip of beer to knock me on my ass.

Here’s the reason why.

:slight_smile:

Oh, by the way, at that link I threw out, I just realized that on Sunday night there is a post-race concert that will be taking place at Tempe Beach Park, which I guess is right where we’re talking about being. Just throwing that out for logistics’ sake.

Tempe Town Lake works for me, oh by the way, can I come too…

Idle Thoughts, can you let me know where that park is at Weavers Needle? I’ve been all over the Sup’s and all around the Needle and I can’t think of where the park is, I would love to check it out. Thanks in advance.

I’d love to come, but I’m pregnant and it’s being held on my due date, so count me out. Or I could just come and give birth as a spectator sport.

You mean there are people in this world who want to do stuff besides hike? :eek:

Ya wierdos. :wink:

autz, mazel tov!

That would make for quite an…interesting…Fest.