Man with too many items for checkout pulls gun on clerk

I used to live in Schnuck’s land.

Yes, it’s the founding family’s name. And properly pronounced it rhymes with “crooks”. Although they long ago retconned the pronunciation of the store name to rhyme with “bucks”.

Better than Sneed’s Feed & Seed.

If I were senior management there, we would immediately begin selling weed.

Anecdote: I’ve lived in St. Louis for 40 yrs and can’t remember seeing anyone open carry — other than police/security. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I went to a suburban Walmart last week and if I’d seen a customer wearing a holster I would have blinked many times.

He brandished it, he brought it into a store where the entire chain has a “No firearms” policy clearly posted at all the doors, and, “He said he hid the gun because he is a convicted felon and is not allowed to possess firearms, police said.”

I understand there is a Pit thread for stupid MFers in the news. This guy clearly qualifies.

In fairness, I don’t think the Wal-Marts here sell guns and ammo until you get farther away from St. Louis and Kansas City.

Yes, most Missourians have the good sense not to wear an obvious sidearm everywhere they go. However, you will see some folks (less likely in urban areas) with a holstered pistol while doing yard work, etc. My dad would wear a pistol while mowing his yard or plowing his garden. ('Cause you might see a snake or something.) :roll_eyes:

Hang out at a farm auction, a livestock sale barn, or visit the Rutledge Flea Market, and you will be more likely to see the open carry crowd.

Jasmine (self-righteously): “I’m afraid not, sir, because you didn’t purchase it from our store.”

(Riemann pulls gun)

Jasmine (flushed): “Ah, I mean of course, sir! I apologize for the error!” :flushed:

Here’s a story from Springfield, MO, prompted by discussion about a man who was carrying a loaded rifle and wearing a bulletproof vest while shopping at Walmart. Carrying the rifle into Walmart was not illegal, but his behavior in the store caused them to charge him with 2nd Degree Terrorist Threat.

Missouri Statute
574.120. Making a terrorist threat, second degree — penalty. — 1. A person commits the offense of making a terrorist threat in the second degree if he or she recklessly disregards the risk of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation and knowingly:

(1) Communicates an express or implied threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

(2) Communicates a false report of an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

(3) Causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life.

It would have been a 1st Degree Terrorist Threat if he frightened/threatened more than 10 people.

Wait, what? I still live in STL and everyone I know pronounces it to rhyme with “books”.

I’m 99% sure their ads do as well.

An interesting detail from one of the articles:

Sounds like it’s time to throw the book at him.

Also, the idea that everybody in St. Louis is walking around with a gun in their waist-band is bonkers. Sure, MO gun laws are extremely lax, but it’s not the Wild West.

I agree, it’s not everybody, but it may be more than you think. The pro-concealed-carry folks are fed fear-mongering story after story about how much danger you are in to set foot in a big city full of “those people/bad people”. You must have a gun to defend yourself because the “bad people” also have guns and they are going to try to get you, so your gun is the only thing that will stop it.

Let me assure you that the people worried about “those people” don’t come into St. Louis in the first place.

I’ve been seeing ads for “comfy” holsters online recently. What’s weird that they come on during Let’s Play sessions of Batman games. He would not approve!

They fret about it, but continue going to St. Louis to attend high society events like Cardinals baseball games, car shows, monster truck rallies, and country music concerts, or to visit a family member in Barnes hospital, or to go to the zoo. (St. Louis just had Monster Jam last month and WWE Monday Night RAW a couple weeks ago.) They might not carry concealed everywhere they go while in St, Louis, but they carry where they can and keep their pistols in gun cases in the trunk of their car when they can’t. My wife and I have a few family members that do these things, and their friends do these things.

Google “gun shows in St. Louis” and you will see multiple upcoming events around St. Louis and St. Charles Counties this year that I strongly suspect will be attended by at least some folks who love to carry concealed pistols. “The BIG St. Louis County Gun Show” and “The BIG St. Charles County Gun Show” seem to have an event that alternates between the two locations every month for the next few months.

When you’re about to commit a crime, you should consider whether or not it would be something you’d want to admit to when you’re in the joint. Knocking over a bank? Sure. An American classic. Treason? Eh, why not? At least it makes you sound kind of important. But this? He should probably just make up something more interesting.

Me too… It’s 10 ITEMS OR FEWER FFS !!!

I don’t like the idea of a hard limit. I was somewhere (Whole Foods, I think) where the sign at the self checkout said “About 10 items or fewer”, which I think is a better solution. It’s not a hard limit, if you have 11 items it’s fine, just don’t come through the self checkout with a huge cartload.

Besides, it would be pretty easy to get around such a limit on a self checkout. Just scan the first 10 items, pay for them, then scan the remaining items and pay for them as a separate transaction.

True enough, about the separate transaction.
Changing the sign to reflect something closer reality doesn’t really address the issue that gets me, which is people taking too much time in the express lane because they aren’t following the rules. I do agree that 11 or 12 likely doesn’t cause an issue.

I wonder if there’s a way to incentivize good behavior, instead of enforcing a rule against bad behavior? But I suspect it would have the same issues with people working around the system.

This proposition has been considered before:

At the regional cheapo grocery store. You know the one.
The sign says “Express checkout”
My understanding is a few items only, card only. No cash or checks. It’s manned. But just to run your items. They handle no cash. No self checkout in this store.

And you wouldn’t want to try and upset the routine. Nope. Bad idea.