Mandela Effect Examples

I enjoyed the link and also went to the subreddit, and I’ve previously enjoyed wasting my hours reading the alternate ending for Big threads.

It’s interesting to read what people remember different. It’s sometimes entertaining. But I couldn’t take a steady diet of it in an actual Mandela site/forum. It’s too convenient. No matter how much evidence there is against your memory (or how reasonable an explanation for your wrong memory), you are always right. We can all have different memories and all be always right never ever have to admit we were wrong.

I can enjoy discussion and debate, but when there are no facts (or facts don’t matter or everyone gets to have their own facts), then there’s no point except for either entertainment or interest in human psychology (though that part is very much dampened when conflicting views aren’t allowed).

I much prefer discussions tracking down the reasons for wrong memory (similarly plotted movie, bad reporting, etc.) to ones that just validate them.

Being middle aged now, I find myself constantly misjudging just how old songs and movies are. For instance both The Matrix and *Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace * were released 20 years ago and it doesn’t seem to be that long to me. And Law & Order ended its run in 2010 and seems like it was just yesterday I was watching new episodes(though to be fair Law & Order re-runs are aided nonstop on cable). It’s hard talking to my younger relatives and remembering a lot of my favorite music and television were released well before they were born.

Well over ten, perhaps more than 15, years ago, one of the networks were showing promos of “lost episodes of The Honeymooners” that had not been seen in “over 50 years”. The promos showed clips from some of these episodes, clips that I clearly remember seeing as a child. I was in my 40’s at the time.

My family would watch The Jackie Gleason Show and during the summer, instead of showing re-runs of his variety show, he would show The Honeymooners episodes. But the promos at the time were very clear that “these episodes had not been broadcast in over 50 years”. My memory of the shows was very clear.

Around the same time, they were having a 25th Anniversary Jeopardy celebration and I thought "huh! I remember watching Jeopardy as a pre-schooler (would have been early 1960s). Both of these events caused me to wonder if I had some special power that involved broadcast TV.

ISTR that “lost” episodes of The Honeymooners were released in the mid-80s by Gleason shortly before his death. IIRC, they were basically sketches done on his early variety show on the old Dumont network. That said, I have no idea if these are the ones you are talking about. My older brother was a fanatical watcher of the Classic 39 Honeymooner episodes that were re-run endlessly through the 60s to the 80s. I remember them only vaguely myself.

Jeopardy was originally hosted by a fellow named Art Fleming, possibly as far back as the early 60s. I think it went off the air in the late seventies, then came back in the early 80s with Alex Trebek and became more popular than ever (obviously).

Fleming hosted from March 30, 1964, to January 3, 1975, and again from October 2, 1978, to March 2, 1979.

“Art, I’ll take The Etruscans for $200!”

CMC fnord!

Prices didn’t go that high in the Fleming years, did they? My recollection is that it was Single Jeopardy $10 to $50, and Double Jeopardy $20 to $100.

In real life Fleming had a reputation of being a master of trivia. In his last years before he completely retired, he hosted a radio trivia show in St. Louis.

Yeah, Etruscans were never $200. I remember getting a whole family of Etruscans for a double sawbuck back then.

I know the phrase “those darn Etruscans” is a catchphrase associated with the early version of Jeopardy!, but what I don’t get is what it means (and yes, I know what Etruscans are/were).

So, let’s clarify.

There are an infinite number of parallel worlds that we slip back and forth between. Obviously, since there are an infinite number, there are a (near)infinite number that are nearly identical to what we could call our base universe.

Sometimes the differences are almost imperceptible - your keys are on the table, but the fob is upside down in the one, right side up in another. No one even notices those changes.

In some the changes are more obvious - you keys are now in the foyer rather than the table. You “know” those are wrong, but you can’t prove them.

Then there are the Mandela-level changes. A significant chunk of the population sees the change in (nearly?) the same way. Berenstain/stein bears. Everyone remembers the *same *alternate ending to Big. Everyone remembers Shazzam.

But, we must ask, what about the really big (no pun intended) changes? There must be universes that start to differ in large ways. Maybe the manner in which we slip between universes only allows switching between universes with .99999999% correlation. Maybe we can’t end up in a universe where Hitler died as a child, where the dinosaurs never died off, where Schwarzenegger became President of the USA.

But how often do we switch? Minute by minute? Daily? Weekly? Eventually someone should cycle to the ends of the bell curve. You might not notice it on any given switch, but eventually .9999999% correlation over a number of universe switches means first you have Big, then you have Mandela, then you have Hillary as President. And then you have a universe where YOU weren’t the same.

And what happens if two of you end up in the same universe at the same time?

Maybe that explains mysterious disappearances like Judge Crater. He jumped to a universe, but no version of him came into ours as a balance.

And an indicator of a switch isn’t just clocks losing seconds. I think that flicker of motion in the corner of your eye - that’s a person that was in the universe you came from, but not in the one you moved into. Watch out for them!

Hey, I see those too!

Maybe the lower the correlation to the universe you are currently in, the lower the probability of switching to it?

So true. The Mandela Effect is completely non-falsifiable. Someone was talking how they “remembered” Ed McMahon was the spokesperson for Publisher’s Clearinghouse. I distinctly remember it was American Family Publishers* because my grandmother hated how he said Amurrican. Guess what, MY memory was changed when the universe did (and apparently photos suffer the same fate).

*And in this universe I’m correct.

We see that everyone experiences the Mandela Effect, it’s impossible to prove that it’s false, which means it’s true, and time/universe shifting is the statistically most probable explanation. I don’t understand how after looking at the evidence some people are still skeptical.