Mandela sings about killing whites video-explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc

I saw a link to this video from a Vice article about the white-man march. Since I am a bit of a masochist I can’t help but read a lot of the white supremacist comments on youtube, and I see a lot of accusations against Mandela by those types that he was a racist, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen a video that they claim has him supporting the killing of whites.

Those white supremacist types tend to be the least honest of all human beings, but I am pretty ignorant of South Africa and Mandela, so can someone explain this video? I’m assuming that the subtitles and translations given are just bogus. Any idea?

(It seems suspicious that a few of the people seeing the song look white to me, but then again what makes someone “white” or not varies greatly depending on the country so who knows).

Mandela changed a lot over the course of his life. When he was a young man back in the fifties and early sixties he was much more militant. There probably was a period when he thought the solution to South Africa’s problems was to get rid of all the white people.

But Mandela grew up. He realized that the real solution was to work to bring all of the races of South Africa together on an equal footing. Which he did.

It’s an Umkhonto we Sizwe song called “Hamba Kahle Mkhonto”, or “Go well, Spear.” that gets sung at funerals and stuff…like, “Even though you’ve died, we’ll continue the fight.”, that sort of thing.

I’m also, as per that video, curious as to how Ronnie Kasrils “isn’t white”. His parents were Lithuanian. You don’t get much more European. Is it because he’s Jewish, Youtube video?

I can understand that but that doesn’t really address the video specifically.

Interesting, but is the song racist, and are the subtitles accurate?

Trevor Huddleston, among others, was a white man who supported the aims of the ANC at that time.
I think Nelson Mandela hated Apartheid rather than white people.

Well, “bhulu” probably translates better to “boers” specifically than “white people” in general, but other than that, I think it’s accurate. But, remember, Umkhonto we Sizwe was a guerrilla group that did that sort of thing…they attacked government troops and installations, planted bombs, etc. And militant songs don’t tend to go for nuance.

Interesting doublethink: one black person may said/done something racist, therefore I’m allowed to be racist.

Mandela wasn’t exactly Desmond Tutu and many of the stuff he was involved in was terrorism. I don’t see or know of any motivation that was strictly racist. Then he had time to think in prison and grow.

Joe Slovo was another Lithuanian Jew who was a higher up in ANC/MK.

Those kinds of songs tend to bring out nuts on both sides. You’ll have militant unionists pop up in Irish song comments, or Armenians with anything Turkish.

For a sense of perspective, check out the United States national anthem. Sure it starts out relatively non-violent but listen to the parts that don’t get sung at ballgames. There’s stuff in there about how the British were all killed and “their blood has washed out their foul footsteps’ pollution.”

La Marseillaise, too. Bloody banners and cutting throats. Killing despots. Using blood to water crops. And King Christian or “Kong Christian stod ved højen mast,” Denmark’s royal (not national) anthem. Chopping up Goths’ brains. More bloody flags. We had a thread awhile back, and I’ll repeat: a violent national anthem is a good national anthem. Safe ones suck. I’m looking at you, “Advance Australia Fair.”

From a Struggle perspective*, it must be understood, the term “Boer” didn’t mean “White person” or even “Afrikaner”. It meant “Apartheid apparatchick or soldier”. If we were at a rally in the 80s and someone shouted “The Boere are here” they meant the police and soldiers were there to break things up. And not all those soldiers and policemen were White - they could also be Coloureds or even Blacks (askari or koevoet).

And yes, there were white people in MK. And they’d likely have sung the same struggle songs, and there’d be nothing self-hating about it.

• and I mean this from personal experience

So kind of like how Americans say “the man” to refer to police and authority, rather than males?

Thanks, this kind of nuanced explaination was what I was looking for, and I figured it anyone could answer it to my satisfaction it would be you.

Something like that. Although more pejorative.

no problem.

So, he was another Paula Deen?

He didn’t like cooking with butter as much.

No one liked cooking with butter as much.

I bet you think you have some kind of awesome point therein, somewhere.

Oh, what wit! You really put me down.