Mango curry

I just made, then devoured, some mango curry.

Oh my.

I’m a complete atheist. But right now, I’m not so sure about that. Could such an amazing fruit as the mango have grown on it’s own? I’m not even sure I could have made this curry. It might simply have appeared in my kitchen, surrounded by beams of white light, a gift from the heavens.

I didn’t even plan on making it. I was craving curry, and had the spices, garlic, ginger, shallots, and a jalepeno. In the veggie department, I had tomatoes and a pepper. No potatoes, no chickpeas, no cauliflower, no carrot, no peas, no spinach, no energy to hit the grocery store. But wait! I spied those glorious, luscious mangoes decorating my table, and a plan came together.

And now I’m basking in a post-curry glow. I’m radiant. I feel like maybe I need a cigarette or something after that.

I’ll post the recipe, if anyone’s interested.

Please do. I’ve got a basket full of mangoes and am tired of eating 'em plain.

That would be wonderful, thanks. I need an accompaniment for some swordfish I’m making tonight.

Give!

Had some at a Sri-Lankan restaurant, lovely stuff, please do post your recipe.

Okay, so I had:

4 cloves of garlic
about 2 tablespoons ginger
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 red pepper
3 roma tomatoes

I peeled the ginger and garlic, de-seeded the jalapeno and red bell pepper, and de-seeded the tomatoes. I then tossed all these into a food processer and pureed.

Then, I heated a pot over medium and threw in some black mustard seeds. I heated them until they started jumping, and then took:

a few shallots
3 mangoes

and diced them I. I sauteed the shallots until golden, then added the mangoes and a whoooooole bunch of cumin and curry powder, and sauteed for only a minute or so. I then poured in my puree, added salt and pepper and a bit more spice, and let the whole thing simmer for a little while.

Sorry I don’t have much of a recipe, it was more on-the-fly cooking.

Now I’m hungry for some of my wife’s:

Black Bean and Mango Salsa

1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Ripe mango, cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup Red onion, minced
1-2 T Rice wine vinegar
1 tsp Olive oil
2 tsp Cumin
¼ cup Cilantro, chopped

Mix all ingredients, adding cilantro at the end. Chill.

This is some good eatin’ with grilled halibut or pork or chicken, especially if there is chipotle involved in the grilling.

Does the curry work best with unripe, slightly ripe, ripe, or very ripe mangos?

I worry that if they aren’t ripe enough the flavour might suffer, but if they are too ripe that they might turn to mush during cooking.

My biggest problem with mangoes is that my local grocer only offers very under ripe fruit or very over ripe fruit.

Mango curry is a favorite of mine. You can wash it down with ice cold mango lassi!

1 mango
1 cup of whole milk
½ cup of regular yogurt
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup ice-cold water (I use ice cubes)
Preparation
Cut the mango into small pieces. Blend it.
Add yogurt, sugar, milk and water and blend it all for about 2-3 minutes or until you see a little foam forming in the mixture.
Serve chilled.