Manhattan is a fuckwad, and Microsoft can suck my dick

Peanut here: posting a GQ asking for help with a Word problem with an inflammatory title like that is just asking for a mod to close or throw the thread. Use some common sense, please.

I’m a chanop in a linux help channel, and one of our first rules is “no Microsoft bashing”. Not because we like (or dislike) Microsoft, but because it’s disruptive to the forum. GQ has the same rule, and it’s manhattan’s job to to enforce it.

At 3 dick-suckings per day, you have roughly 64 years of blowjobs coming to you, if indeed Microsoft decides to do the deed.

Good luck!

Sure! Love to! Should I just hang from this hook, then? :rolleyes: I will not, repeat, not, get into a pissing match with you about how I’m failing to do my job and how I should be doing it better. What makes you believe I will sit here and get attacked by someone who so clearly hates Microsoft just to satisfy your bloodlust?

I come to this message board to occasionally help out with questions when I can, and be entertained. I do not come here to talk about my work unless it relates to a question I’m answering. It’s my fault that I even opened that thread - I try to stay out of threads that bash MS, but one of the first things I do when I visit the board each day is search GQ for “PowerPoint” to see if I can help. I thought about staying out of it, but I decided I would offer to help anyway. Boy, did I learn my lesson. That stops now.

I wonder if you realize how extremely difficult it is to create a piece of software that can do the things that PowerPoint can do? I wonder if you realize how many different people we are trying to please at the same time? You know, like 200 million users? I’m sorry we cannot please everyone all the time. But to think we “don’t give a rolling fuck” about our customers is ludicrous. I guess I’ve never attended usability studies, or implemented features based on feedback from our Beta customers, or implemented a feature request that came from PSS. The new product cycle begins with implementing the features our users request the most frequently, if we think we have the time and resources to do so. Then we concentrate on bug fixes. Then we work on performance, integration with the new OS versions that come out, new hardware etc. The bottom line is that it is a huge piece of software, created by not very many people, with not a lot of time to do so, all in an effort to create the best, most well-rounded application we can. My reward for my efforts are people that only bitch at me about what doesn’t work, or bitch about “extortion” while we’re losing billions of dollars to piracy. Of course, if we try and go after the piracy we’re accused of stealing everyone’s name and address or other such lunacy.

If you are finished seeing red, perhaps you could read the thread again and see that I actually did offer you help.

Yeah, you’re welcome for the help. I hope you got your problem resolved OK.

So, you deliberately attempt to bait Posters who either work for or defend Microsoft just to get a rise out of them? That tells me all I need to know about you. There’s a word for that type of behavior, you know.

There’s nothing enforced about my loyalty, as much as you’d like to think so. I despise some of our business practices. I disagree with business decisions we make in my group, just like all other employees everywhere. There’s products I like and products I don’t. I run Redhat on my website. I use AmiPro exclusively. I have nothing but Macs in my office.

The funny thing is, the “puniest of little whines” gets placed on my desk. How long would it take you? What is your schedule like? What are the dependencies? Hell, I’m such a nice guy I would have sent your GQ thread off to a friend of mine in Word to make sure there wasn’t anything I hadn’t thought of, if you hadn’t been such a jerk.

Feel free to continue with your campaign to bitch about our products and harass us when we get offended by your bitching. Just don’t expect my participation.

Hrm…

Back to the OP.

I’ve never used Document Templates in Word but WHAT IF:

You setup Word however you want it, then save it to your desktop as a document file called “New Document”, then anytime you want to make a new document just open that file and do a Save As???

Is my massively sleep-deprived brain missing something here?

You know, on top of crackin me up, this kind of bewilders me.

No one here has ever experienced the frustration I’m talking about? No one here understands the need to vent a little when a tool that’s absolutely essential to your work turns out to be badly designed? No one here has ever sought out fellow sufferers when trying to find a way out of a frustrating situation?

For the record, although I know a “good” source of information on MS products would be MS loyalists, those were not the people I was assuming would respond to my queries (your first clue should have been the tone I adopted, cue resounding duh); I was hoping to draw out fellow sufferers who had gone before and perhaps found a way through the darkness.

I am bewildered, not to say astounded, that no one here acknowledges ever having experienced frustration at the other end of a Microsoft product.

I mean people, c’mon, Sinead and the Pope here; what’s with the gooey sympathy for Microsoft?

Are you deaf, or just stupid? No one is telling you that you have no right to vent about Microsoft or anything else that happens to burn your cheese, we’re telling you that GQ is NOT the place to do it? Get it? This isn’t rocket science for chrissakes.

Yeah, I know the rule: you’re not allowed to inject any opinion or emotion into any thread in GQ. Yes or no questions only.

Yeah, I’ve been pissed off and frustrated at Microsoft products. But I’m also a software engineer, not a user, so I know what a fucking pain in the ass it is to get a complicated product to market, so my annoyance is slightly tempered by that. The products have also improved a lot over the years.

But that’s not what this thread is about. You started a snarky GQ thread called “Microsuck question” and then started this pit thread bitching about it being closed, along with making nasty comments about manny. If you just wanted to rant about Microsoft, why the nasty comments about the moderation of the boards, and why the nasty comments directed at Dookup?

Only that I’ve addressed this three times.

. . . didn’t mean to sound short, BH; only meant that this is one of the work arounds that don’t work.

(Trying to keep it consistent that the only individuals I’m insulting are Bill Gates and Manhattan; anyone else who feels offended has their own issues to deal with.)

Well, in the interests of a better, more idiot-free SDMB, I encourage you to continue doing so in GQ…

Yes. I have. And this is the right place for it. The Pit.

Oh, and far be it from me to suggest that manny is anything other than the lovelorn jack-booted Nazi thug that he is, but a cite on a few other instances of facsist stalking would probably be in order. This way we might determine just how greviously you have been harrassed by said goon. kthnx.

And because this is the Pit, let me say that I have no love for Bill Gates. The man is a sucker of goatse cocks. No, I will not provide a cite. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you nuts? that will just annoy the hell out of eveyone and he might even get ba…

Oh. :smiley:

Riiiiight.

If I were to somehow, in some strange kooky way, be offended by the way in which you specifically called me out, then insulted the way in which you are convinced I work, then used terms like “bothered and pouty,” “squeal in defense” and “squeaky little yelps,” then I must have issues. Issues, man! :rolleyes:
You’re a buffoon.

You’ve been here for three years, and you think GQ caters to “yes or no questions only”?

Amazing.

I submit that Manhattan isn’t so much annoyed by the odd opinion tossed around GQ (as long as it’s not all you do), but he is annoyed by people titling their question as if it was a rant. Forum decorum.

In other words, you are trolling and you have no intention of following our rules.

To quote you, fuck that.

lissener, you are banned from asking any computer related questions on this message board, whether they have to do with Microsoft products or not. Further, you are banned from posting to any computer-related thread in GQ, again whether it is discussing Microsoft products or not. This includes entirely theoretical discussions, historic questions, everything. Turing question? Too bad – you’re banned from it. Same with everything from ENAIC to AI.

This does not exempt you from following forum rules.

Failure to follow these instructions will result in you being banned from this message board.

Can we start a pool? If so, I’ll say one week.

In the original GQ thread, lissener referred to Microsoft as “Microsuck,” but was otherwise factual and polite, and engaged in no other “'bashing.” Based on the content of that thread alone, I think Manhattan had some kind of stick up his ass to close it. However I’m sure he had good reasons for doing so… right? Anyway, closing the thread simply based on having “Microsuck” in the title seems unduly harsh, but maybe Manny’s just trying hard to keep GQ up to a Higher Standard.

This is a new and interesting approach - selective posting restrictions? Whatever happened to simply “step out of line again and we’ll ban you?”

Comedy option. I like it.