Manhattan is a fuckwad, and Microsoft can suck my dick

I didn’t even realize I HAD a scroll lock key until today. I wonder what it does.

Every time you press it, God kills a kitten.

or something…

In the old days, it would stop the scroll of a text documet as it catencated down the screen.

If I remember correctly. It is currently the single most useless key on the keyboard; Print Screen gives you a snapshot of your desktop you can past into Paint, and pause/break when combined with the window key pops up your System Properties.

Concatencated.

I think Excel still uses it. Turn scroll lock on and hit the down button, see what happens.

In my, quite possibly limited and selective, experience, complaints about Microsoft products fall into three broad categories :-

• “Micro$oft is The Man! Open Source r00lz dude! Smash global capitalism!” (Actually, I agree that global capitalism deserves to be smashed, but complaints of this nature don’t speak to the actual quality of the products involved.)
  • Differences in design philosophy, or “Why do it this way when everyone who isn’t an idiot does it that way?” I think lissener’s original question falls roughly in here … it is possible to do what he (she?) wants, but not in the way s/he wants to do it … Quite common, this, because Microsoft does have a distinctive design philosophy, feature-rich and strong on interoperability, which many people, used to designing tight “elegant” code for specific applications, don’t like. And the feature-richness and interoperability do lead to bugs and security holes, which brings me on to the final category …
  • Actual legitimate complaints. Some MS software has bugs; some MS products are a genuine pain to use. I’ve posted my opinion of FrontPage 98 on this board … there are others I can think of. And Microsoft’s dominant position in the marketplace means that a lot of users will find, and complain about, the genuine problems very quickly and very loudly.

Incidentally, I think Anthracite’s question still stands, and lissener isn’t prohibited from responding in this thread … did the workarounds suggested in the GQ thread actually solve the problem?

(Oh, and the mods are perfectly correct, IMHO, in trying to keep acrimonious personal opinions out of GQ.)

That’s a hefty upgrade. You can buy XP and Office XP on E-Bay sometimes (legit copies) for around $100. You can also get a cheap Dell Dimension which comes with both for under $800. But it also might not be practical for you to have a different OS and Office than everyone else…

On reviewing the rest of the thread, I see that the OP won’t be posting any more. Well, there are other Boards with PC-related Forums at least.

Even banned from this thread? I mean, yeah, officially it’s a rant about a mod, but half of the title does refer to a computer company.

Isn’t that, like, you know… irony? So THAT’S what it looks like… :slight_smile:

Eat me you squeaky fuck.

You know as well as I do that I had no intention of trolling in GQ, any more than I wished literal death on Bill Gates. I’ve been posting to this board for over three years and any infraction I’ve ever committed have been minor, unintentional, and debatable.

To pounce on such a thin excuse (a sarcastic mock threat—in the Pit—merely to goad the easily goadable; a mock threat made all the more threatening by use of the powerful qualifier “may”) in order to preemptively censor me is pathetic, you tiny minded loser.

So I’m effectively banned fro GQ? Search my postings asshole. I’ve steered largely clear of GQ since it became clear to me that you lie awake nights quivering in a delicious agony of anticipation, contemplating your next opportunity to be a rude little fucker to me, or some other hapless victim of your sad little drunken whimperings.

I insulted no individual Doper. I complained, in the process of asking a question, about a product. Until you have a forum completely free of any such sentiments—where no one ever asks a question about a subject that has upset them—where no one ever injects any emotion or opinion into their questions—until then, you’re a hypocritical asshole.

And the ’Softies who took offense at my post should have taken me to the Pit—or reported the thread to a moderator and waited for them to make the call—rather than highjacked my GQ post to debate my “tone.” Which is more childish: posting a question that included some emotional background of the history of frustration that led me to ask the question, even framed hyperbolically as it was, or popping into the thread just to say, “Well, I know the answer to your question, but I’m not gonna tell ya until you swear fealty to my boss; yelp yelp, nyah nyah.”

Shouldn’t a less immoderate moderator have more properly asked THEM to take it to the Pit? Whose behavior was more against GQ policy, Manny, you hypocritical fuck?

Seeing as you’ll now have more time available forums, how about starting an “Ask the guy with serious issues” thread?

Why is it more important for you to spew your venom than to ask questions politely?

I agree 100%. Part of my animosity (does it really show?) toward all things Gatesian is due to my experience with PP. I was dropped into PP accidentally; temp needing a job, learned PP in 25 minutes, kept getting PP assignments after that, turned into a fulltime gig when nothing else was available.

Personally, I think PowerPoint is hurting us as a species. (For the irony-impaired, of whom MANY have checked into this thread, that was hyperbole.)

That’s the definition of trolling. You’re not too bright, are you? If I was admin, that remark right there would have gotten you banned on the spot. But, hey, that’s me.

Anyone else seeing this as a good time for everyone to just walk away and let this one die?

Oh, and to avoid the appearance of impropriety, the emphasis in the above quote is mine.

Can I still get a bet in?

$10 says before Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 20:00 CET.

You’re on, Coldie. No way he’ll last that long.

Only if that means Chas E can come back.

Chas can come back, I need raw meat.

I can’t believe he didn’t get banned. Everyone knows when you complain about Microsoft, you have to call it “Micro$oft!” or “M$!!!”

Sheesh, talk about a breach of ettiquette.

And…Faster Manhattan Kill Kill!