March 17: the overshadowed-by-covid-19 primaries (FL,IL,OH,AZ)

Mike DeWine is recommending that the Ohio primary be bumped to June.

I’ve been reporting posts left and right on social media. These Bros aren’t particularly smart, they still have Bernie stuff in their profile as they encourage older voters to stay at home tomorrow for health. Utterly despicable what these shitheads will do for their revolution.

I’ll encourage you to vote, the amount of Bernie ‘stay home for your health’ stuff is sickening on social media.

I’ll encourage you to vote, the amount of Bernie ‘stay home for your health’ stuff is sickening on social media.

And FL has a lot of delegates, and Sanders has no chance.

Obviously those accounts will never mention the success several states (Washington, Hawaii, Colorado, and Oregon) have had, for a long time, with vote-by-mail:

Bernie seems convinced that putting off primaries will result in a tidal wave of votes for him. I’m not sure why he believes that might happen. But in any case, this lack of certainty in the Dem race all works to the benefit of Trump.

I think Bernie just wants to draw out the election.

I have a nasty suspicion that this is just to punish the DNC by giving trump another four years.

Does Illinois not have absentee voting? After reading this thread, I just sent my email to the city requesting an absentee ballot (which they’ll email to me… no human contact, no germs!).

We do, but the ballot has to be postmarked by Election Day which is tomorrow

Is anyone following the Ohio clusterfuck? First DeWine tried to shut it down, then a judge apparently ruled he couldn’t, then the top health official closed it, then someone in the judge’s office said the judge never said it had to go forward, he only ruled that the specific application to stop it wasn’t being upheld. Chaos.

Ohio governor called to postpone the elections less than 24 hours before the polls opened. Judge overruled his order. They sent Ohio’s favorite new person, Dr. Amy Acton, to call a stare of emergency and cancel the election for reals. The story is ongoing, I think.
https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/03/16/welp-as-of-this-moment-the-primary-elections-are-off-again-maybe

I personally didn’t vote early because I didn’t have enough info yet to decide between the candidates. I was biding my time. I wasn’t sure if I was going to bother to vote Tuesday but there is an issue I want to pass (parks levy).

The governor is right - old and immunocompromised people shouldn’t have to choose between their health and their right to vote. They need to suspend it and give everyone a chance.

Never mind what I wrote, the secretary of state of Ohio just sent a letter to all the election boards and said it’s been postponed until June 2.

I should mention that the Ohio House of Representatives sent a simultaneous note saying that Mike DeWine didn’t have the right to pause the primaries, and that they were to continue.

On the one hand, kudos to the governor for trying to do the right thing unlike other states. OTOH, this is an absolute mess. So glad my state already voted.

The times we live in keep getting interestinger and interestinger.

The Governor of Illinois has declared that we will have no gatherings of 50 or more people. I’m not eactly sure what means of enforcement are available, but today is election day. There could easily be state sanctioned gatherings of 50 or more people.

I think a closed primary would help Biden, when you combine the effects of Republican trolling, leftist Bernie supporters for whom the Democratic party is too conservative to join, and “Burn it all down” Trump-Sanders people.

Closed primaries definitely hurt Sanders, and were a constant source of Berner complaint back in 2016.

Maybe, but not at my polling location. When I went, it was me and two other people (and the polling location is for two precincts). Only three election judges for each precinct, the legal minimum.

All they have to do is register Dem- and for whom they are trying to nominate.

I think all primaries shoudl be closed.