March 17: the overshadowed-by-covid-19 primaries (FL,IL,OH,AZ)

Better for an executive to have the power to take away that choice?

Be aware that there is a reasonable possibility that we will be in a public health crisis next November, worse than we are now.

Should the president have the power then to decide that voting is too dangerous and suspend elections until some further notice? Oh we’ll do it later, when it is safe for everyone to vote. Whenever the executive decides that is.

I think Bernie needs to drop out tomorrow. By continuing the fight, he’s exposing people to corona needlessly. He drops out, Biden is the nominee. He hangs on and the remainder of the primaries go on, Biden is the nominee and tens of thousands if not more people get infected and hundreds if not thousands die. He has put his heart and soul into running for 6 years now, but it’s time to abandon the dream. He will never be president, he needs to go back to advocating for his causes in the Senate. Or better still, retire and let a real Democrat have the seat.

Uh, you know that there are other primaries going on, not just the presidential race right?

True enough, but those can take place in the summer.

I voted. It was 20 after 6 this morning, and my trip to and from work takes me right past my polling place. It looked very quiet, and I allow a few minutes leeway on my work journey. There was no line, and according to the vote counting machine I was the 9th voter at that time. So there you go Joe Biden, bring it home now.

Ugh, just saw Bernie trolls invaded my Pete groups on Facebook and encouraging people to vote for Pete so they can ‘vote their conscience’

I’m just blowing off steam but I think he should be expelled from the Senate

Why stop there? All his supporters in the House and Senate too! Hell, why not get all his rank-and-file supporters fired from their jobs? Let’s doom the Democratic party for decades by deliberately targeting and pissing off young progressives!

Or maybe we could try to welcome young progressives into the party? Maybe the future of the party is more important than settling scores with the progressives you despise?

Uh, no. With more than 24 hours notice the state can set up alternative means of voting.

Why not send a ballot to every registered voter in the state by mail, and make it free to return? Ohio allows absentee voting without a reason. But you have to request a ballot in time and return it in time with a stamp.

If we knew there would have been a health crisis, we could have all done this anyway. But we didn’t.

Heck, the timing of this outbreak even messed up the ability of people to campaign in our state. If they knew that there would be an at-minimum 6 day turnaround between requesting a ballot and casting your vote, it would have helped campaign plans as well.

I’m not saying the lawsuit was unfounded. I’m not saying the initial judge’s decision was poor. I’m saying that I was ok with the POSTPONEMENT of this election because now everyone who wasn’t going to be able to vote in person will have time to vote by mail, or vote in person when the emergency is lifted.

We may need his vote for majority leader next year, best not to piss him off too much. In 2022 if Dems have a more substantial majority, then by all means take away his committee assignments.

That is a very good point, by staying in the race Sanders is making people vote when they should stay home.

How are Bernie Bros gonna have their revolution if they can’t even be fucked to get off social media long enough to go vote?

Would love to have a play around with John King’s touchscreen

And maybe it’s true that they are loud and assholish but small in actual numbers.

Anyone hearing results on today’s elections?

I’ve seen that Florida and Illinois have been called for Biden.

Arizona, one of the states voting today, allows absentee voting without a reason and gives you a paid business reply envelope to return your ballot.

Biden supporters vote for Biden.

Trump supporters vote for Trump.

Sanders supporters tell other people that they should vote for Sanders.