(Old) March forth into victory in the MMP!

It’s my birthday!
I’m sick!
I’m loafing around eating cheesecake and playing word games.

I have no strong feelings one way or another about turning 41. I’m pleased I made it this far. Yesterday we did dinner at a fancy steak joint and I was just well enough to go, then we sat around in my husband’s empty office since it’s nearby and basically just wound down the clock waiting for the sitter to put our kid in bed before we came home, LOL. Parenting. I do love my husband and one thing I love the most is we almost never run out of things to talk about. I asked him what most surprised him about practicing psychology and he said he was surprised to find out that some people will pay a lot of money for therapy but are unwilling to do even a single thing to change their circumstances. This is an ongoing source of frustration for him. It was good bonding time.

I said the thing that surprised me most about my job as a social worker is that it’s not the touchy feely love fest you might imagine, I spend most days working with databases and drafting policy and procedure documents and having budget meetings. I love doing those things and I love how skills-based the work is but if you’re picturing the starfish story, that ain’t it. But I am macro. I’m not the one catching the starfish, I’m the one figuring out how they got stranded in the first place and trying to change the star fish delivery system.

Today I was supposed to meet with a board member for lunch, but that was cancelled, so I decided to just vegetate for the rest of the day. I’m already feeling crap and it’s my birthday so those two things combined suggest I should take it easy. I did meditate, stretch and go for a walk at least.

Talked to my psychiatrist, mentioned long COVID and she suggested some supplements that have been shown to help with brain fog in long COVID clients. I’m a bit of a supplement skeptic but she is a very knowledgeable lady, so here’s hoping. I am getting tired of my work day effectively ending at 2pm because I can’t brain anymore.

Tonight is movie night (TBD) and Betty Crocker blueberry muffin night. Because I’m an odd duck I’ve always eaten blueberry muffins on my birthday. It’s tradition. I think it started because I didn’t like cake as a child.

Alternatively, you could go love something.

Sounds like a shit day though, I’m sorry.