Married Dopers: Tell your proposal story

What great stories! It inspired me to come out of hiding to post mine!

We’d been together some years, and he had asked me to marry him a few times at the very beginning, but I was very leery (being divorced before). So after a while, we just never talked about it anymore.

About a year ago, on my birthday, he said he had to go to work, so I went to hang out with some friends. He showed up later with a birthday card and wanted me to read it out loud. No way did I want to read it in front of my friends, who already give me enough crap about that mushy love stuff! Knowing he probably was joking with me and filled it with embarrassingly mushy stuff, my friend says, “I’ll read it!” and proceeds to read the cheesiest, most corny writing I’ve ever heard in my life, cackling through the whole thing! We are all laughing hysterically by now and she turns over the card and suddenly stops -“Will you marry me?? WILL YOU MARRY ME??”

He then gets on one knee and produces a ring. I was speechless, then burst into tears! We always joke that he never actually proposed to me…she did!

We are getting married on Saturday! :sigh: