Marty Balin dead at 76

RIP, founding member of the Airplane, blessed with a sublime tenor.

I was fortunate enough to see them twice, once at Woodstock and then later at the Music Hall in Boston. Always a great show.

Fuckity fuck fuck.

RIP, Marty. You were over-shadowed, but never outclassed.

A solo piece of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIF74lH4KPM

The Airplane was more than the sum of its parts, and its parts were individually great. Balin supplied the gentle folk heart of the group, tempering Paul Kantner’s sonic snarl much the same way that McCartney tempered Lennon.

An era is ending piece by piece, day by day.

Rest in peace, Marty. And peace to surviving members Jack, Jorma and Gracie.

I got a taste of the real world
When I went down on you girl.
RIP, Marty.

One of the best rock vocalists ever!

“Hey man, I’d like to mention that the Hell’s Angels just smashed Marty Balin in the face.”

Ah, good times. Er, um …

Well, maybe, uh, “interesting times”???

I always liked “Miracles”, even before I realized how dirty it was. What a great voice.

Never a fan, but that damn “Miracles” sure can bring back strong, distinct memories.

Bilbo, Thorin, and the rest of the Dwarves are inconsolable.

Sad. “We built this city on rock and roll” was the anthem of my generation.

TWEET!!!

You, CarnalK! Out of the pool!

1. That song blows.

2. Marty had nothing to do with it in any way, shape or form.

3. That song blows.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but, whatever…

Here’sone of Marty’s most achingly beautiful vocals.

I got it. I went from anger to amusement to laughter in 5 seconds. Good job, Tim!

The Airplane broke up when I was nine years old. I’ve been a stone(d) Hot Tuna fan since the mid-70s.

I saw Jefferson Starship at the Blossom Music Center, a brilliant outdoor venue located in the rolling hills between Cleveland and Akron, in the late 1970s. I thought the Starship sucked but I was delighted to have the chance to see Balin, Kantner, and Slick onstage together.

Balin was the name of one of the dwarves of Thorin’s company in “The Hobbit.” In “Fellowship of the Ring,” it’s his tomb which the Fellowship finds in the ruins of Moria.

Marty Balin had nothing to fucking do with that.

And it was called just We Built This City. It was released by the 1985 version of “We lost the naming lawsuit because we have no remaining members of JA” Starship.

I always thought of Marty as the “voice” of JA, as opposed to Grace Slick. Who would have thought Grace would be the survivor (a la Keith Richards)?