Matchbox model cars

In grade school I collected Matchbox models. I’d blow my allowance on one every week. I outgrew them before Hot Wheels came out, but I still had them in the case I had for them collecting dust in a closet. Eventually I gave them all to a younger cousin.

I don’t know why but I googled them tonight. Spent some time deciding “Did I have that one or not?” They were a thing back then, at least for some of us.

I had a recurring ear infection as a young child and was frequently prescribed foul tasting medicine, which I hated. My mum used to let me choose a matchbox car from the local toy shop whenever I finished a bottle.

I still have all mine, probably around 50 or so from the 1960s. Still have the fancy case I stored them in, too.

I’ve poked around on ebay, they’re not worth as much as I had thought they might be. Not sure I’d sell them anyway.

And I remember Hot Wheels entering the market. They were cooler than Matchbox, but I remained loyal and refused to buy any Hot Wheels (although I remember playing with a friend’s Hot Wheels on that orange loop-de-loop track).
mmm

I had Matchbox, Corgi, and Hot Wheels cars (and the racetrack), and even a couple of Tonka trucks, but my collective name for them was “dinky toys” which I had no idea was a brand name for an even older company.

When I was a kid, every year for Christmas, I’d (and my male siblings) would get two or three Matchbox cars in our stockings. Those were by far my favorite presents of all.

I also had lots of Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels. Inherited many from my older brother but had my own as well. Kept them in an old tool box my dad gave me for that purpose (had another old tool box filled with plastic Dinosaurs-my Dad had lots of tool boxes). I’m not a “car guy” but loved those toys (although in my imagination all the cars flew :slight_smile: ) I still have them somewhere in my attic.

I had a fair number, but almost all of mine were from garage sales-- I don’t think I ever got more than two or three new. I think I might have gotten the Hot Wheels loop track for Christmas one year (I had it, and don’t think it was from a garage sale), so I guess I got whatever came with that, too.

My usual stocking-stuffer was Go-Bots.

I didn’t play with them; we used Tonka trucks. They were made out of steel back then and we’d take them outside and play in dirtpiles.

One bit of Trivia: for many years, and measured by units sold, Matchbox was the largest manufacturer of cars in the world.

I brought my daughter a matchbox car and she took it to school to show to her friends and the damn teacher it took and never gave it back ! The teacher had a son ! The doors opened on the car , do they still open ?

Septra? That was the second line of attack for my ear infections if amoxicillin didn’t do the job. and yes, it tasted nasty.

Depends on the model - some do and some don’t. I assume those with functioning doors are/were more expensive.

I had an extensive collection as a kid, most acquired second-hand. Mostly Matchbox but with a few Hot Wheels, and other (largely inferior) brands - Majorette, anyone? The latter tended to be a bit bigger and chunkier than Matchbox models, with much bigger wheels. oh, and some Corgi of course. They joined an even older collection of Dinky Toys that my father had as a child. All are now in use by the third generation. None are in good enough condition to be worth any money, but I believe toys are to be used, not displayed in the box.

In my time, cars were $0.50 each. Didn’t matter if the doors or hood opened or not. We’d bring a couple to school to use at recess. There was that orange/tan powdery dirt at the base of the trees there that was great for the earth mover Matchbox cars.

I had a butt-load. Loved 'em! I had an Iso Griffo and a Mercedes Unimog.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Lk4QPpkF&id=BA83F519D3A98D13CDC4BB1ACF928C1E5DB90009&thid=OIP.Lk4QPpkFD6iMbV9OMAIo-gEsDh&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F380834041804-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg&exph=750&expw=1000&q=mercedes+unimog+matchbox&simid=608048280171908043&selectedIndex=8&ajaxhist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=zH7Zh%2Bql&id=490E17A34C17DC4A8E0B94E8E4DA04B4BCF7359D&thid=OIP.zH7Zh-qlVdevEKCs44lHMAEgDY&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F351082438691-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg&exph=750&expw=1000&q=iso+griffo+matchbox&simid=608048675301166969&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

I was a member of the matchbox collectors club, I’ve got a few hundred cars, all played with, not worth a penny I’m sure.
But I also have a bunch of the big ones, and the jubilee busses, almost never touched.

I had a number of Matchbox cars.

I ultimately destroyed them all in simulated car crashes in the backyard, assisted by large rocks.

Dude, the Unimog was my favorite piece.
mmm

I had a few Matchbox cars back in the day, but they didn’t thrill me. And, HotWheels were after my time.

I won first place in our Cub Scout Pinebox Derby one year. I was over-the-moon with the win, but disappointed with the prize. I expected some sort of giant mega-buck check or something similar. And, I figured my elementary school girl classmates would be swooning in my presence.

Nope; didn’t happen.

My prize?: a 3” high plastic trophy cup (advertising a local business) and a puke-green Matchbox roadster, Elmer-glued onto an unfinished block of wood ~6” in length. Don’t know why I kept that hideous thing for over 50 years…but, now I wish I had it back.

My problem with Matchbox cars is that they didn’t move without a push or gravity assistance.

On the other hand, I spent many, many hours racing HO slot-cars against my boyhood chums in our basements on weekends (not much else for prepubescent boys to do in the mid 60’s). I was undefeated for months with my fire-engine red Aurora Ford GT. It was a sad day when that car “blew a gasket” mid-race. My glory days were over. Life’s sucked ever since. :frowning:

I had a bunch of matchbox, as well as Corgi, Tonka, etc. But I was 8-9 years old when Hot Wheels hit - right in the prime of my car-playing years, and I - and my best friend down the block - dove into Hot Wheels in a big way.

As I remember it, Matchbox were best for setting up cityscapes and other scenarios. But Hot Wheels went FAST!

Had, & probably still have a bunch somewhere.

Matchbox were ‘real’ cars, models of something you might see on the street while Hot Wheels had some of those, they also had some designers who partook of psychedelic drugs.

I had a couple Dinky cars too, but they were much larger in size, 2-3x the size of Matchbox.

About ten or twelve years ago, I’d let me son pick out two cars from Walgreens. They were two for a buck and were by Maisto or Welly rather than Matchbox or Hot Wheels. I was always impressed by the actual licensed car makes/models and level of detail on those cheap things versus the pricier, better known, brands which were usually “Turbo-Jet Rocket Racecar Extreme” or “Fantasy Insanity Van”. Though I retain a warm plac ein my heart for the Hyper-Mite.