Matter Waves

Are Matter waves (de Broglie) and EM waves similar Phenomenon? They both diffract, reflect and interfere but EM waves always travel at c whereas be Broglie waves travel at the group velocity of the particle. Plus EM waves can be detected but matter waves cannot. However, otherwise, they seem to pretty much behave alike.

EM waves are a special case of de Broglie waves: They’re the de Broglie waves of photons. The same rules apply to both (provided that you express the rules in the proper form): For instance, the group velocity of photons in vacuum is always c. And matter waves are most certainly detectable: When someone taps you on the shoulder, you’re detecting matter waves. If you mean that the wave nature of EM waves can be detected, that’s also true of matter waves, although more difficult. But electron diffraction has been observed.

Thanks Chronos.

I’m trying to figure out what I meant by “matter waves cannot be detected” but I’m having a tough time. I guess what I was trying to say is that EM waves are in and of themselves real i.e. there’re composed of measurable quantities the E field and B field.

Matter waves, on the other hand, are not real, as they’re not composed of anything measurable. At least I don’t think probability can be directly measurable. And yet as you say when someone taps me on the shoulder I can certainly feel it. I’m confused.

This is probably all just a matter of interpretation but since you know what you’re talking about I’d be interested in whether you think the wavefunction is real or not.